JA Solar

CrystalCrystal Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
What's your opinion on JA solar panels? I found a sale going on for .68/watt. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comments

  • nielniel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar

    there are lots of solar companies making pvs and i can't say i've ever heard of this one, but that doesn't mean they aren't any good. be sure they aren't 2nds without certification. the warranty is standard, but who is to say they'll still be around in 25yrs. you can take the dive if after you've checked into the company and let us know what you think. price is right.
  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Solar Expert Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar

    JA Solar is a pretty large China government subsidized company, they made Cells for BP before BP ended up getting out of the solar business.

    The Wiki for photovoltaic companies shows them as a leading manufacturer back in 2009.

    I read that the panels came from a plant in Mexico, and I didn't realize they had a plant in North America, JA Solar's site doesn't show any plant here so I was curious. I'd be sure to ask the questions up front. I have done business with the company in the past, and they have always delivered. They often deal in 'B' grade panels, but I think they said these are 'A' panels in their blog.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • CrystalCrystal Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar

    Price is right, just not sure if I want to support this particular business. Know of any decent priced USA made panels? Would buy some more Evergreens if they were still around the US.
  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Solar Expert Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar

    Most of my panels are Evergreen Blems, Evergreen got bought up by a China company and now looks like they are not being supported by them, the US site was down last I checked. I PM'd you a possibility.

    Northern Arizona Wind and Sun (NAWS) has sold out of most of their sub $1 per watt panels, but appears to still have Trinas available; You couldn't ask for a more trustworthy business!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • CrystalCrystal Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Most of my panels are Evergreen Blems, Evergreen got bought up by a China company and now looks like they are not being supported by them, the US site was down last I checked. I PM'd you a possibility.

    Northern Arizona Wind and Sun (NAWS) has sold out of most of their sub $1 per watt panels, but appears to still have Trinas available; You couldn't ask for a more trustworthy business!

    I agree! They are a great company! Trinas are an option, but again I'd like to keep my business in the good ol' USA.
  • nielniel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar

    solarworld is usa made, but i have to ask if you intend to parallel new pvs to the pvs you currently have as few are of the 36 or 72 cell design? most are 60 cell modules now and it wouldn't work out with using the different pvs unless you obtained another controller even if the cell numbers matched up to use parallel. the rogue is limited in its current capacity anyway so you will need to expand to a new controller. this would be running the present system separately from any new pvs and a new mppt cc feeding the same battery bank. now the battery is small for the amount of pv you have and more pv dwarfs it even more so. this brings up the question if you intend to expand you battery bank too?
  • CrystalCrystal Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar
    niel wrote: »
    solarworld is usa made, but i have to ask if you intend to parallel new pvs to the pvs you currently have as few are of the 36 or 72 cell design? most are 60 cell modules now and it wouldn't work out with using the different pvs unless you obtained another controller even if the cell numbers matched up to use parallel. the rogue is limited in its current capacity anyway so you will need to expand to a new controller. this would be running the present system separately from any new pvs and a new mppt cc feeding the same battery bank. now the battery is small for the amount of pv you have and more pv dwarfs it even more so. this brings up the question if you intend to expand you battery bank too?

    Haven't decided whether or not we are going to parallel the new panels to current panels. We don't want to have to buy another mppt CC, but looks like it might be the better way to go.
    We're thinking about expanding the battery bank. If we do, we should replace the existing batteries and start from square one. This wouldn't be a complete loss, because we can use the batteries in another application. Wanted to wait and see how the current batteries work with the expanded solar array. Is this an ok idea or not?
    It's funny how such a simple idea as pumping water with solar can end up being so in depth. :confused:
  • All EnergiesAll Energies Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Re: JA Solar

    I purchased a pallet (22) of JA solar 285, the look and feel well made. Mine came with the Sun label so I am assuming that the distributor will back them up. That particular distributor has been in business for 30+ Years, longer than most PV manufacturers.

    JA actual permanence has be up to its ratings, at 90 deg f air temp I saw 91 % of its ratted output on a FM 60.

    I have been surprisingly pleased with the top Chinese PV manufactures, the same can't be said for the Chinese solar electronics manufactures.
  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Solar Expert Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar
    Crystal wrote: »
    We're thinking about expanding the battery bank. If we do, we should replace the existing batteries and start from square one. This wouldn't be a complete loss,...

    I think with your plan of pumping into a cistern during the day, if you have enough capacity with your array your needs for storage might not be much different than you have now, so your batteries might be fine or at least near enough to run the course of a near normal life.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • nielniel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar

    i'll agree with photowhit that the extra power produced during the day can be straight utilized during the day making storage of that power not necessary. if, however, you would still like to expand on the battery bank that most of us agree that if done in about a year or so for batteries not abused that you should be able to just place more batteries in with your present bank.

    now being we established that you need another controller to add more in pv then you can get what you want in a cc and pvs because this would be a separate system feeding your batteries. to be more specific, you will have 2 separate pv systems with 2 separate controllers charging a common battery bank.
  • nielniel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: JA Solar

    seeing 2 threads running similar courses, i ask that any more technical on a proposed system be continued on the other thread linked here, http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?19108-Beginning-Search-for-Solar-Well-Pump-System&p=152640#post152640

    if you wish to talk of ja solar them continue here on this thread.
Sign In or Register to comment.