Is there a voltage tolerance that that should be taken into account?

rdemart44
rdemart44 Registered Users Posts: 7
When running dc products i.e. a 9 volt transistor radio, 12 volt TV etc. how close do you need to get voltage wise not to have problems. As an example: lets say I want to run a 12 volt TV directly out of my charge controller which right now is 13.3 volts. Will this voltage be fine or do I have to get closer to the 12 volts?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Is there a voltage tolerance that that should be taken into account?

Unfortunately the answer is: it depends on the particular device.
    Most things design to run from "12 Volt" auto source have a pretty wide tolerance, certainly +/- 10% from the usual 13.8 Volts (some vehicles run higher, some lower). Some 12 Volt inverters are notorious for shutting down from "over Voltage" is you EQ the batteries at 15+ Volts.

What do you mean by running "directly out of my charge controller"? Is this a controller with "LOAD" terminals on it? Even so it will need a battery to provide stable Voltage levels (as discussed previously in another thread).

In the RE world the absolute low end on a 12 Volt system is 10.5 Volts and the upper end for charging is usually 14.8.

Sorry that's not a very definite answer. There are some things you can do if you think the Voltage might go too high, such as putting a diode in series with the power to knock half a Volt or so off. If it's a really critical device then some type of specific Voltage regulation would be in order.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

That is really hard to say... For example, some of the "12 volt adapters" (laptop, etc.) have been known to smoke when taken above ~14.2 volts.

For an off grid power system, a 12 volt battery may see 14.8 to 15.0 or even 16.0 volts during some charging conditions (sub freezing battery bank, during equalization, etc.).

13.3 volts is pretty much a "low" float voltage for a solar power system... Depending on the battery bank, you might need closer to 13.6 volts--And 14.2 to 14.75 volts for a flooded cell deep cycle battery is pretty much standard bulk/absorb set points.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rdemart44

The charge controller has a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug in it.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    rdemart44 wrote: »
    The charge controller has a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug in it.

:confused: I've never seen such a thing. Do you have a make & model so we could look up its specifications?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

sounds like one of those C-Tire "power packs" that can be recharged from 110/12v/pv, last 2 through a cig lighter plug...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • rdemart44

It's the one that comes with the Harbor Freight solar panels which I think is 4 amps. It also has a 3,6,9 and two more 12 volt jacks.