Panel mounts ordered - finally

After searching for the best panel mount for my situation, I've finally picked one. It is a custom job made by the person who I got my panels from. We both live in windy areas with some extreme winter conditions. His seem extremely solid with 12 rec 235 panels on them. My setup will only be 9 rec 230 panels. The pictures are of his setup. Mine won't be ready for another couple of weeks, which is plenty early as there is still two feet of snow where I will be putting the setup. The posts are 6" x 6" x 1/4"wall x 7'. The cross tube is 4.5" x .335" wall x 17'. After he makes the pieces they are all hot dip galvanized. The concrete blocks are 2'x2'x8'. My setup will only have two vertical posts instead of the three in the pictures. The angle is adjustable for seasons.
Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Panel mounts ordered - finally

I hope that isn't a turbine tower casting a SHADOW on the PV array...

Nice racking. do you have a rough cost for the components?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    muddome wrote: »
    The concrete blocks are 2'x2'x8'.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm curious about the footings... I take it they are just sitting on the ground? If so, what's the advantage of that rather than the more typical buried footings?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • muddome
    muddome Registered Users Posts: 9

It is a wind turbine tower but turbine is down for maintenance. Not sure what the shadow situation is like, photos were taken at me dealers place.
    My cost for the mount is about $4400 all in.
  • muddome

thanks vtMaps,
    Yes, the footings just sit on the ground. One advantage of this method is if I ever decide to move the array, I can just lift it with a tractor. There is a small chance that that I will have a different use for them elsewhere on my property in the next few years.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the footings were pre-cast upside down. How are the posts attached?

Ya that shadow might impact PV production in the dead of winter with a long shadow cast across the PVs

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • muddome

The blocks are cast with the posts in place using plywood and 2x4 forms. In the originals, he cast it with slot openings in the base to be able to move with a forklift. I will probably do mine with a pipe through the middle so I can put a chain through the block as it's more likely I will move mine (if ever) with a tractor/loader. Attachment not found.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the footings just sit on the ground. One advantage of this method is if I ever decide to move the array, I can just lift it with a tractor.

What about frost heaves? If one footing moves up or down more than the other, doesn't that put a lot of stress on the posts and beam? --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • muddome

I'm not worried too much about frost heave. My location is flat, hard packed clay earth. However I will check alignment periodically. The adapters between verticals and cross bar can be adjusted if required.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...My cost for the mount is about $4400 all in.

WOW!!! That's slightly more than my whole 4 KW array, mounted, including the panels(with shipping)!

...land's cheap here in Missouri...lol
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

muddome,

Wow ! Very nice looking mount, and HDGed as well, very top-notch.

Here in CA it used to be very easy and fairly inexpensive to have custom metal work HDG-ed, but for environmental reasons there are many fewer galvanizers, also Zinc has gotten very expensive.

Thanks for the pics, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.