Options
2»

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Panel mounting- question about frames
    westend wrote: »
    I'm just about finished discussing my efforts with the tilting mounts. There seems to be a commonality of "you have to do it this way or it won't work". Most of the comments have no basis in any real-world metal working, any knowledge of module construction and engineering principles, or even bother to read through my original posts and pictures to see what I'm doing. I'm done defending the attributes or exploring the lack of in this thread. Thanks to those with valid critiques.

I think you looking at this too defensively. Noone is trying to force you to do it in some particular way and noone is trying to attack you so there is no need to defend anything. People just sharing their ideas with you because you posted to the forum and asked for these ideas. It is entirely up to you what you make of this.
  • westend
    westend Solar Expert Posts: 46
    Options

And what would you make of this "I don't understand. you found mounting holes and the chose not to use them? rather you broke the integraty of the box frame of the panel? That doesn't make sense to me..."?

I'm a member of a few Internet Forums, some of them technical based, and know what to expect when you put an unfamiliar idea out there. I'm just surprised at the frequency of the posts where anything unconventional is considered totally incorrect.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And what would you make of this "I don't understand. you found mounting holes and the chose not to use them? rather you broke the integraty of the box frame of the panel? That doesn't make sense to me..."?

I'm the one who posted those comments and I had also looked into your original post, about mounting on the short edge. I have no problems with your experiment, and just made my feelings know, as someone who thought they were helping you, I resent the atitude you took. The mounting holes are there for a reason, you choose to ignore it.

If someone asks me for suggestions about a housekeeper and choose not to hire them, that's cool.

If they hire them as a construction worker, I want them to understand that that is NOT what I recomended...

Good luck with your experiment, put 20,000 miles on the road and enjoy. Let us know how it works out. Lots of people here don't like the wood frame work I put under my 4Kw array, So far it's been through 40+mph winds and an 8" wet snow and held up fine. It'll take 20 years for me to claim it worked out fine.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Friendly reminder from your friendly moderator to keep it friendly.

There are some very good (and complex) reasons for Photowhit's stance against screwing hinges to a panel at one point and using them to support the load. Mainly that this is not the way the frame was designed to handle the weight of the panel and the stresses placed against it - even for fixed mounting.

You may be surprised to find that a few smaller holes such as used to bolt the hinge to the frame do more damage to its structural integrity than one larger hole in the same location as it comes equipped with. It may sound counter-intuitive but there it is.

Putting away my SED for now, as I'm not paid to do this sort of thing. :D
  • westend
    Options

Understood. It's the Internet, I'll go put on my big boy pants.
  • westend
    Options

Center support added. The three mounting rails looking from the bottom:
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Options

For what its worth, I agree with you both . . sort of . . :p

On the one hand, when I put up my solar panels on top of a hydro pole in my backyard, I wanted to use the pre-drilled holes for the reasons stated. .BUT . . the heck with the warranty, it not worth the paper its written on, when you buy by mail order from another country . . so what I did, was to WELD together a steel frame, and making a central pivot point - mounted with 4 - 4 inch brass hinges . . works good. I painted the contact points where the panel frame meets the steel frame, and I have a steel rod going thru eye hooks, down to the ground, so I can adjust the tilt of the panels, and its locked with a padalock to keep it in place at ground level . . here is a pic to show.. Don't let the bolts in the steel frame fool you, they were just to hold it together while I welded it . .

Attachment not found.

Yes there are holes thru the ends, but the manufacturer does state - Do NOT use them as end mountings. . . so I didn't. The wiring was not done yet in this picture . .

As for your homemade hinge idea, let us know how it works out for you. If it goes boom, we will all know what not to do in the future . . :p

Keep us updated.
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • westend
    Options

Deployed and secured to roof of travel trailer:

IMG_0002-114_zps53d810e9.jpg

IMG_0001-136_zps6dd92468.jpg

BTW, I had an MC4 cable set and tried to connect to the module but the module's connection terminals are smaller than MC4, similar construction, but different. Anyone have an idea of the type of connector needed?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

this might give you a clue, from a Co. page

Cables and connectors unipolar cable 4 mm2. you will have to check to see if the other brand of MC4 you have are the same size

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Options
    BTW, I had an MC4 cable set and tried to connect to the module but the module's connection terminals are smaller than MC4, similar construction, but different. Anyone have an idea of the type of connector needed?

Well the spec'ed junction box is listed as an IP65, unfortunatly there apear to be several different with the same ID number;

This one apears to have strain reliefs rather than connectors, and doesn't look like the one I can see in an earlier photo of yours.

Attachment not found.

A search for Junction box IP65 shows several different types, many with strain reliefs rather than connectors, those with MC4 appear to have leads.

My guess is they can use a myriad of different connectors. If you take a close look at the disasembled box you can see how you can disassemble the pressed together box. It maybe that you have a type of strain relief rather than a connector, and you will have to open the box to make your connections.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • westend
    Options

Thanks for the quick replies. The cable is not included with the module, I would guess the stock male/female pendant was indeed, 4 mm^2. The IP65 box has 2x- female terminal with a slotted outer locking extrusion and the interior cylinder is flattened on two sides like an MC4 connector.
  • Photowhit
    Options

From what little I can see from your photos, they don't look like MC4 connectors to me, there is a very similar connector to MC4 called a tyco connector.

Link to images;

I hadn't seen one in a while and looking at the images, that might well be what you have.
  • westend
    Options

Thanks, I believe you're correct, they are Tyco connectors. In a little bit I'll get back up there and see if I can hardwire the cable into the box with some sort of strain relief. Otherwise, I'll need to order the connectors.