fm80 purchase

gww1
gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
I find it hard to believe that when you buy new stuff all you get is a quick set up guide. I know you can go to outbacks site and download a manual but it seems that if you spent $600 to $700 you wouldn't also have to buy a computer and pay an internet service to be able to use the cc. I guess this is the way of the world now as all companys are doing this. It sucks though. New in the box and you get to figure it out.
gww

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: fm80 purchase

So you're saying Outback didn't give you any printed manual with your FM80?

Perhaps you should complain directly to them (if you haven't already).

I quite agree that the printed version makes for an easier reference than digital, and for the money you shouldn't have to be printing it out yourself.
  • gww1

I bought it from naws and it came packed in a outback box. It came with a quick set up guide but has no manual like you can look up on outbacks site. It is like a poster not like a book. It may have plenty of info but it is nothing like I printed for my mx60. I looked up the manual but it is in pfs format and my computer takes forever to download and sometimes freezes during download. I bought my mx used and so I am glad its manual is there for free. I bought the fm80 new and just got around to opening it tonight. I thought I would study the manual. I dought I complain as it is in the proper packaging an I am sure its ment to be this way. It is dissapointing though.
    gww
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

Outback's documentation is consistently incomplete, out of date, and sometimes ambiguous in content. It seems they are penny wise, pound foolish in this regard since I suspect they could cut down on a lot of phone support hours if they had proper manuals and documentation. Then again, maybe the certified installers like it this way - I'm sure it creates some need for service calls...:roll:
  • gww1

I don't intend on having any contractor service calls. I got you guys untill you tire of me.
    Cheers
    gww
  • alyaz
    alyaz Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Send it back and get a Midnite Solar controller :-)
    3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.
  • pHredd9mm
    pHredd9mm Registered Users Posts: 15

Maybe ask your question/state your complaint over on the Outback site....
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Midnite doesn't give out printed manuals either. We do give out a DVD though and
    a many page quick start guide.

I will have to see what printing out one would cost.

boB
  • gww1

Now days when you buy a laptop you got to make your own recovery cd. It is the way of the world. I figure the manual adds cost. I must say, I have repaired my washer and drier, lawn mower and chain saw with manuals. I know electronics are different, mostly programing. I have however refered back to the info on my morning star ts60. I think the only reason I mentioned anything had to do with my expectations. I was expecting a manual and didn't see one. It is great that I can get one if I need it and want to print it. I probly will as there is to much to remember. I hate dvds but it is better then nothing. I almost bought a midnite controller but I wanted to plug into the outback hub. It would have saved me money on my wire run if I would have bought the ms 250. I will probly end up with one if I keep playing with wind as it is the only one I know that works really well for that. Maby the manual could be made an option when ordering, of dvd or hard copy with the extra cost reflected.
    anyway thanks
    gww
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the Midnite Classic, I find there is so much more information on line that a manual would have to be updated regularly, in the last 6 months they have added "follow me" so that 2 or more charge controllers can share information, and soon they will add a battery module option to connect the to your shunt, which should provide many GREAT features, like well controlled charging while under load. Next year boB will likely add a server feature (I think I read that somewhere) and the following year, maybe it'll make toast!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Photowhit wrote: »
    With the Midnite Classic, I find there is so much more information on line that a manual would have to be updated regularly, in the last 6 months they have added "follow me" so that 2 or more charge controllers can share information, and soon they will add a battery module option to connect the to your shunt, which should provide many GREAT features, like well controlled charging while under load. Next year boB will likely add a server feature (I think I read that somewhere) and the following year, maybe it'll make toast!

"Follow me" is the most brilliant addition to date (says the guy who has spent hours and hours explaining to people how to get two dissimilar controllers to co-operate in recharging the same battery bank). :D

Photowhit; you forgot to order the optional "Toast Module"? For shame! A simple relay addition to the AUX port and some programming and it will indeed make toast! ;)
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

But he will need a 4 kw inverter to run that fully automatic toaster thingamabobbbby, that also butters the 12 pieces of toast it can make, and make your coffee too:roll:

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

To tell you the truth I was very disapointed I didn,t receive a manual with my midnight controler when I bought it. solarvic
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    To tell you the truth I was very disapointed I didn,t receive a manual with my midnight controler when I bought it. solarvic

I'm sure you are refering to a printed manual, you did get a DVD with the manual on it? I admit to being a fan of digital manuals, I had read the classics manual long before I ever purchased it. and I'm sure the people who I've sent the manual for the Pulse Energy/Trace PC250 over the years is glad their is a digital version as Xantrex does a poor job of keeping historic documents available.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Yes I am talking about a printed manual. I have poor vision and don,t like reading digital manuals. Printed manuals please!!! I can,t sit on the couch with a good light and thumb thru a cd. solarvic
  • gww1

I must say I agree whole heartedly with solarvic's position. I like having a place to find lost info but I will still end up printing it so I can hold it in my hand. If I buy new I like a hard copy, not that I might not lose it or dump coffee on it, but being able to hold it is best.
    cheers
    gww
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    gww1 wrote: »
    I must say I agree whole heartedly with solarvic's position. I like having a place to find lost info but I will still end up printing it so I can hold it in my hand. If I buy new I like a hard copy, not that I might not lose it or dump coffee on it, but being able to hold it is best.

I like printed manuals too.

On the other hand, I bought two XW SCCs controllers. Now I have two manuals (not to mention another two multi-lingual manuals in 5 languages including greek). If I buy two more, I'll have four sets of everything. I don't need that many.

But, I feel very good about Xantrex, as opposed to Trojan who didn't give me any manual with their batteries.
  • Cariboocoot
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    But, I feel very good about Xantrex, as opposed to Trojan who didn't give me any manual with their batteries.

As a rule, batteries don't come with manuals. It is usually difficult to get any sort of info about them out of the company, especially in respect to RE use as they don't want to commit themselves to that application.

I bet people would probably be willing to shell out $1 or so extra for a printed manual as-needed. But it had better be up-to-date.