Trojan's EQ guidelines - wassup?

Surfpath
Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
Happy with my Trojan's RE's so far, however I'm a little confused about their equalizing guidelines:

From Trojan's Battery Maintenance Guide page:
http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/Tech_Support/BatteryMaintenanceOffGrid.html

Do not assume that all FLA batteries have the same voltage or SG readings to indicate a specific SOC percentage. For example, Trojan Battery Company's Premium Line line of FLA batteries, which have been optimized for maximum life cycle in renewable energy applications, employ an electrolyte with a lower SG than most FLA batteries. The Premium and Signature Lines of FLA batteries are considered at 100 percent SOC with an SG reading of 1.280 while Trojan's Industrial Line of deep-cycle products are considered at 100 percent SOC with an SG reading of 1.260. Because there are variations among battery manufacturers and even among batteries from a single manufacturer, rely on manufacturer's data whenever possible when determining SOC.

Equalizing is a process by which FLA batteries are over-charged at a higher voltage for a period of time ... There are varying schools of thought on how frequently FLA batteries need to be equalized, and many controllers can be programmed to perform this function automatically. However, SG readings should be used to determine whether equalization is really required as well as whether the equalization process has been fully completed. Step-by-step procedures will vary depending upon the system's configuration, the charging source and the extent to which the battery is discharged and has been maintained up until the point of equalization. Trojan recommends equalizing batteries when specific gravity falls below 1.250 for the Premium and Signature Lines, or 1.220 for the Industrial Line, across all cells or when there is a wide range in specific gravities, 0.030 or greater,

- Dean Middleton: Director of Renewable Energy Sales, Trojan Battery

I understand the importance of equalizing when there is a significant varience in SG values across all cells, but I wonder why they recommend equalizing when SG falls below 1.250? On the Trojan Battery Users guide I see battery capacity listed as follows

90% = 1.258SG
80% = 1.238SG

Are they really recommending that when your bank falls to just a little below 90% SOC that you should be thinking of equalizing them? :confused:
Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Trojan's EQ guidelines - wassup?

They mean if the SG is < 1.250 after a full charge cycle, I think.
    I have a problem with that because the full charge cycle should bring all cells up equally. If not, then the charging Voltage and/or time is wrong. An equalization cycle is needed if the cells are different, not just if they're low. Look at ChrisOlsen's experience with his batteries; up the Absorb Voltage and EQ becomes a thing of the past.

I also think they need to write better: first they say their Premium batteries have a lower than typical SG (makes sense; "cooler" batteries last longer) then they say it's 1.280 which is higher than most. Then they say their Industrial line is 1.260, which is lower than most. Do they know which batteries they're talking about? Doesn't look like it.

Anyway, as always, fully charge your batteries when new without using them. Measure the SG for a baseline. Your hydrometer readings may not be the same as theirs ever, so it's all relative. Don't get obsessed with meeting manufacturer's specs unless you know you can meet them from Day 1.

The more press releases these companies put out, the more confusing it gets.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

They certainly mean SG measured on fully charged batteries (that is immediately after the "full charge" routine has been performed).

This recommendation is unique for Trojan. Most other vendors only recommend equalization when there's a difference between cells.

Looks like Trojan expects SG to dwindle down with use, and when it's getting too low, it's time to equalize to put it back up.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    Looks like Trojan expects SG to dwindle down with use, and when it's getting too low, it's time to equalize to put it back up.

With my bank of 8 L16 RE-B's that is exactly the way it works. No amount of normal charging will bring the SG up to 1.260 without a monthly EQ. I have had my bank going for three years that way and have noticed no performance degradation so far. I will add that once it hits 1.260, you cant get it any higher no matter how much you EQ.
  • NorthGuy
    Joe_B wrote: »
    No amount of normal charging will bring the SG up to 1.260 without a monthly EQ.

What SG do you usually get after "normal" charging?
  • Cariboocoot
    What SG do you usually get after "normal" charging?

And along those lines, what is your Absorb Voltage set to and how long does it run?
    A little tweaking sometimes goes a long ways. :D
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Hi Northguy & Coot,
    Thanks for the reply, and the answers. You'd be the fellows to know. Thanks to Joe as well for his experience. I would also be interested in hearing about his RE(B) charging experience & parameters.
    -SP
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    With my bank of 8 L16 RE-B's that is exactly the way it works. No amount of normal charging will bring the SG up to 1.260 without a monthly EQ. I have had my bank going for three years that way and have noticed no performance degradation so far. I will add that once it hits 1.260, you cant get it any higher no matter how much you EQ.

This is also exactly what I see with my forklift batts. I suspect gradual stratification. Have end amps set at 0.4%, and leaving them for longer absorb doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Only an EQ will bring them back up to fully charged SG of 1.29. It's been 10 days since the last EQ and SG is now 1.28
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This recommendation is unique for Trojan. Most other vendors only recommend equalization when there's a difference between cells.

Well pretty much this is completely wrong. Trojan wants you to only equalize when batteries have low specific gravity, below 1.250 or have a difference between cells;

"Trojan recommends equalizing only when batteries have low specific gravity, below 1.250 or wide ranging specific gravity, 0.030, after fully charging a battery."

Other manufacturers want to to have a routine equalizing monthly to every 6 months regaurdless of SG;

Rolls "Equalization of the battery bank is recommended every 60 to 180 days,..."

Crown "Batteries used in RE systems should be equalized every 30 days at a minimum..."

US Battery "...Actively used batteries should be equalized once per month...."
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • NorthGuy
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Well pretty much this is completely wrong. Trojan wants you to only equalize when batteries have low specific gravity, below 1.250 or have a difference between cells;

Other manufacturers want to to have a routine equalizing monthly to every 6 months regaurdless of SG

My point was that Trojan expects the specific gravity to decrease over time when cycling, and therefore suggests monitoring SG and equalize when SG goes too much down (I was referring to the quotation posted by OP), while others do not recommend doing that this way.
  • Joe_B
    And along those lines, what is your Absorb Voltage set to and how long does it run?
    A little tweaking sometimes goes a long ways. :D

Absorb set to 28.8 and float set to 29.4. I had to set the float up that high because the XW SCC exits the absorb cycle before the SOC gets to 100%. By setting it this high, I essentially overcharge before the sun goes down but even with this situation, my SG does drop slowly and I end up having to EQ about once a month or so. Also, these are my winter settings, when it really starts to cook around April or May, I drop the settings back a bit.
    stephendv wrote: »
    This is also exactly what I see with my forklift batts. I suspect gradual stratification. Have end amps set at 0.4%, and leaving them for longer absorb doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Only an EQ will bring them back up to fully charged SG of 1.29. It's been 10 days since the last EQ and SG is now 1.28

Yep, I just live with it. I dont know what the chemistry differences are but as long as I do an EQ every so often, the bank seems to stay healthy but only time will tell if they can go the distance in this mode. Perhaps the bubbling during EQ reverses the stratification to some extent as well. All I know is that if I keep the SG up, they wont sulphate.
  • Cariboocoot
    Absorb set to 28.8 and float set to 29.4. I had to set the float up that high because the XW SCC exits the absorb cycle before the SOC gets to 100%. By setting it this high, I essentially overcharge before the sun goes down but even with this situation, my SG does drop slowly and I end up having to EQ about once a month or so. Also, these are my winter settings, when it really starts to cook around April or May, I drop the settings back a bit.

:confused: Shouldn't you set your Absorb Voltage higher and find out why the charger is exiting Absorb before it is done?

I don't know. I think maybe I'll retire from the advice business. Things don't seem to make sense to me anymore.
  • Joe_B

Well yes and no, these numbers are my winter numbers. Since my harvest is short (3 hours or so), I bang up the float voltage to essentially put in an overcharge (when solar allows). In the summer, I knock down the float voltage to 26.5 or so.

The XW SCC exits absorb because the limit is fixed based on the bank size. If memory serves, it is something like 4% of the bank capacity. So the only way I have figured out to get longer absorb times was to let the float voltage get higher.

I don't understand any more either and when it comes to the XW, I don't think anyone understands that mess completely.
  • NorthGuy
    Well yes and no, these numbers are my winter numbers. Since my harvest is short (3 hours or so), I bang up the float voltage to essentially put in an overcharge (when solar allows). In the summer, I knock down the float voltage to 26.5 or so.

So, in winter, you do that because the sunny period is short. Do you need more frequent equalizations in winter?
    The XW SCC exits absorb because the limit is fixed based on the bank size. If memory serves, it is something like 4% of the bank capacity. So the only way I have figured out to get longer absorb times was to let the float voltage get higher.

It's 2%. However, I don't know if it takes into account the power produced by other SCCs or taken by Inverter. I suspect not.

You can set the bank size to 0. This way it'll go with absorption for a fixed amount of time. This is not very good neither. It may hit the absorption voltage during high sun/low load, but then load may increase and/or clouds may come up, ans as a result it may spend most of the absorption time at much lower voltages. May even be discharging at times.
  • Joe_B
    So, in winter, you do that because the sunny period is short. Do you need more frequent equalizations in winter?

Yes, I only get about 3 hours of production on a good day when the angle is low and the days are short. As far as EQ, I would if the load was the same but I fold that back as well and dont cycle things as deep so I only EQ about once every three months in the winter and about once a month when the sun is going good in the summer.
  • Sun Dog
    Sun Dog Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭

Limited hours of production is a winter reality for many of us. The bottom line is longer generator run times, preferably in the morning to get through bulk and part of absorb. It is a bit of trial and error to see how long you need based on your system and usage and how well you can forecast the amount of solar harvest you can get on any given day.

As NorthGuy already pointed out, the XW CC's are great as you can fine tune them to do what you want. They transition from absorb to float once the charging current reaches 2% of the input Ah of the battery bank. I input an Ah value exactly 1/2 of the actual Ah capacity of my bank so it transitions at 1%. Ultimately putting in a smaller value just means it will stay in absorb longer. Try different values to find out what works for you. I don't know what Trojan says to use for a charging current for EQ but Surrette says 5A for every 100Ah of capacity. For me that means the input value of 1/2 of actual Ah capacity works out perfectly for EQ amps.
  • Cariboocoot

My preferred method of fine-tuning an XW CC is to replace it with a MidNite or Outback. :p
  • Sun Dog
    Sun Dog Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭

I know they aren't everyone's favourite, but I am very happy with both my XW inverter/charger and XW charge controllers. I hardly dare say it, but I also have had good experiences with Xantrex/Schneider customer service. And no, it wasn't a dream, it really happened :D
  • NorthGuy
    Sun Dog wrote: »
    I know they aren't everyone's favourite, but I am very happy with both my XW inverter/charger and XW charge controllers. I hardly dare say it, but I also have had good experiences with Xantrex/Schneider customer service. And no, it wasn't a dream, it really happened :D

I would agree on XW SCCs. Not counting solar panels, they've been the best performing part of my system so far. Once I figure out how to switch them to float automatically, they'll be nearly perfect.

I also had mostly positive experiences with Xantrex support, except one case, which was so horrible, that it would probably overweight the positives. They're definitely better than Trojan tech support :p
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    My preferred method of fine-tuning an XW CC is to replace it with a MidNite or Outback. :p

I'm with you Marc! As part of an integrated XW system, guess that one has almost no choice to run the XW SCC.

BUT, as a stand-alone CC, the XW SCC makes NO SENSE at all! It is crippled by its lack of functionality for off grid use, and REQUIRES the FirmWare Implanter, as when the SCC arrives, its FW will almost certainly be BUGGY and out of date -- due to the long supply chain from China. And, Schneider seems to not update any FW in units in inventory. The Implanter costs about $250.

The XW SCC is a very poor choice for off-grid stand alone uses, from my personal experience, and, Schneider "Support" is the worse I've ever encountered. Opinions, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • NorthGuy
    Vic wrote: »
    I'm with you Marc! As part of an integrated XW system, guess that one has almost no choice to run the XW SCC.

That's not much of an integration that they do. Basically two things - share BTS sensor and go to Float all together.
    BUT, as a stand-alone CC, the XW SCC makes NO SENSE at all! It is crippled by its lack of functionality for off grid use, and REQUIRES the FirmWare Implanter, as when the SCC arrives, its FW will almost certainly be BUGGY and out of date -- due to the long supply chain from China. And, Schneider seems to not update any FW in units in inventory. The Implanter costs about $250.

I didn't need an implanter. And they don't appear to be buggy compared to the rest of XW family.

They do lack many features that you can find in Classics. But they're efficient, they work, and they cost much less.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not much of an integration that they do. Basically two things - share BTS sensor and go to Float all together.

I didn't need an implanter. And they don't appear to be buggy compared to the rest of XW family.

They do lack many features that you can find in Classics. But they're efficient, they work, and they cost much less.

The XW -60 CC has not needed firmware for over 5 years and while the XW-80 CC will need firmware for the SCP to log harvest data
    it works well and they both work really well together. I have never had any problems with them and they are very rugged at high temperature. I must have 30 of them at least in customer systems. I agree with you they are efficient, simple and perfect for people with an XW system off-grid!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Vic
    The XW -60 CC has not needed firmware for over 5 years ...

Actually, David, I did buy an XW SCC, and out of the box it was down-rev one or two levels. It DID have a HORRIBLE BUG. And you counciled that I must have not configured it correctly. Anyone who actually MONITORED the recharge progress would have noticed this bug in the Build 4 FW.

But, it was the bug where the CC got confused about its current Stage during recharge. After numerous attempts to find what was the issue, Xantrex/Schneider "Support" stated that I need to buy the required $250.00 or so Implanter.

Subsequent conversations with Schneider revealed that they would RENT the Implanter for about $50.00 to correct the BUGGY code that they provided in this NEW unit.

Contacted the reseller N AZ W&Sun, but they could not/would not do anything for me.

Seems absurd that Schneider would not bend over backward to correct this BUGGY FW situation in a New CC which was supplied with down-rev FW. It took them a month to even acknowledge that there was anything at all wrong with this CC or its FW. They called it a feature!

AND both the SCC and XW MPPT80-600 (can that be the number?) both lack the important function for off-grid use -- "CC is in Float" -- which allows skimming excess PV power.

Agree that the SCC is a dumbed-down CC. Dave, we have had this conversation before. No real need to respond. Once Schneider has sold the product, there is nothing that they would do for me to correct their problem. Period. Am still waiting for them to step up. Too bad that they own Square-D now. Opinions, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • NorthGuy
    AND both the SCC and XW MPPT80-600 (can that be the number?) both lack the important function for off-grid use -- "CC is in Float" -- which allows skimming excess PV power.

Vic, if you still need it, I should be able to make a small device for you which will operate a relay when XW SCC goes to float (or whatever other conditions you need).
  • Vic

Hi NorthGuy,

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I could do something similar, although if one tries to infer that the CC is in Float just by battery voltage it gets a bit more complex.

The CC knows when it is in Float. This important off-grid function belongs there. I just threw the SCC in the pond, after backing over it with my pickup.

Schneider is just trying to address the most basic needs of about 50% of the market. Nothing innovative for them. Their 600 V CC also lacks this function, and needs the SCP to set up the CC as I read it, and the Implanter when necessary. These add about $500 to the price of this CC.

Am using Classics, and still use the decade-old MX-60, which has had this CC in Float function for almost ten years, perhaps more.

The XW SCC is fine, especially in an all-gray system. Many of us want more from our CCs. I did like that the SCC has NO fan. The Classics have TWO Aux outputs, can do 83 Amps out on a 48 V system, 96 A on a 12 V system, IIRC. And they will accept FW updates from a lap-top or other computer that one already has, is network-ready ... and so on. The Classic Lite -- with pushbuttons and LEDs for the front panel is in about the same price range as the XW SCC.

It was just surprising to me that Schneider could not have cared less about my situation. That's all. Am trying very hard to never buy another Schneider electronic item. May still buy a couple of Square-D breakers, though.

Thanks again, though, Vic
  • NorthGuy
    The CC knows when it is in Float. This important off-grid function belongs there.

The have a network called XanBus. Each device broadcasts all the statistics, so you can know for sure when they are in Float
    Schneider is just trying to address the most basic needs of about 50% of the market. Nothing innovative for them.

I agree with that. When I was setting up the XWs, I was surprised that I couldn't set up simple things. Many settings are very non-intuitive. Absorption ending amps are called "Bank size". Charging level is set in percents instead of amperes. Generator size is called "Breaker size" and is set in amperes instead of kW. Grid support settings are so much interlinked with each other that it's very hard to get what you want. Fortunately, I don't need grid support.

However, if you set aside clumsy software, the hardware looks very solid, despite it's made in Chana.
    It was just surprising to me that Schneider could not have cared less about my situation. That's all. Am trying very hard to never buy another Schneider electronic item. May still buy a couple of Square-D breakers, though.

I understand. I just went through the same thing with Trojan :grr

But I still may buy something Trojan, though :D
  • NorthGuy
    But, it was the bug where the CC got confused about its current Stage during recharge.

Vic,

Could you tell me what exactly was that bug? I'm watching mine now and they reached the absorption voltage half an hour ago and are now decreasing current significantly, but the display still says "bulk".
  • Vic

Hi NorthGuy,

Well my BUGGY XW SCC was "Build 4 " It would proudly announce that it was in Absorb when it WAS in Bulk, but had reached or exceeded the Float voltage setting. It was in Bulk, and the Vbatt would still rise to the actual Vabs, and would probably complete the recharge cycle if one trusted it enough to allow it to remain in service.

I simply did not want to trust my batteries to a CC that did not know what stage it was in, or one that has a history of lying. It was surprising to me that most of the Xantrex Tech Support folks did not know about this -- "unable to duplicate your problem here", and also that the self-professed Xantrex/Schneider hotshot partisans here and elsewhere had never paid enough attention to the XW CC that they installed for customers to have noticed this! Some here mentioned that I did not set the SCC correctly, and some at Xantrex called it a "Feature"!

It does sound like your CC IS in Absorb, but is confused about its charge stage. Keep a close ene on it/them. Good Luck, Vic
  • NorthGuy

Thanks, Vic.
    Well my BUGGY XW SCC was "Build 4 " It would proudly announce that it was in Absorb when it WAS in Bulk, but had reached or exceeded the Float voltage setting. It was in Bulk, and the Vbatt would still rise to the actual Vabs, and would probably complete the recharge cycle if one trusted it enough to allow it to remain in service.

Hah! Yours shows "Absorb" when it's in "Bulk". Mine shows "Bulk" when it's in "Absorb". Looks like internally id doesn't make any distinction between them - only on display. It's important with my settings because it is supposed to terminate after X hours in Absorption. How can it do that if it cannot tell "Absorb" from "Bulk".

I should've watched how it goes, but I did a stupid think. I reset them. It correctly says "Absorb" now.