I need some advice and information on this set up

Options
Leehamrick
Leehamrick Registered Users Posts: 17
Hi,
Where I live we loose electric on a regular bases I just want to be able to charge up two deep cycle batteries.
I'm Deep in the appellation mountains In West Virginia 7 miles from a black top road in the high altitudes. 3800 FT
I only need to run some 12volt SMD/SMT lights and a small 12volt water pump that came out of a camper.
This is what I have to work with--(I got all this at one time from a guy that lost interest)
Solar Panel,, This is what it says on the back,,
Max power 235w
Max power voltage 29.44
Max power current 8.02 A
Open circuit voltage 37.21

For a converter I have a PWM the sheet that came with it reads,,
12 volt 24 volt
Rated solar input 20/30A 20/30A
Rated load 20/30A 20/30A
load disconnect 11.1V 22.2V
Equalization voltage 14.6V 29.2V <30 min
Boost voltage 14.4V 28.8V <30 min
Float voltage 13.6V 27.2V

For batteries I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries that are for a boat trolling motor. 114 amp hours @ 1A

I have been told this is a 12 volt panel
And I have been told that the PWM controller is not a good set up for this panel and that
I should go with a MPPT controller.
I was told that the PWM will cut the amps way down----<true?
If this is true what model MPPT should I get? <--- I'm on budget but I will get what is necessary how many amp controller?
Can I wire my two batteries in parallel?

I know this is advanced solar forum but please keep it basic if possible <---be gentle I'm new at this

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: I need some advice and information on this set up
    Leehamrick wrote: »
    Hi,
    Where I live we loose electric on a regular bases I just want to be able to charge up two deep cycle batteries.
    I'm Deep in the appellation mountains In West Virginia 7 miles from a black top road in the high altitudes. 3800 FT
    I only need to run some 12volt SMD/SMT lights and a small 12volt water pump that came out of a camper.
    This is what I have to work with--(I got all this at one time from a guy that lost interest)
    Solar Panel,, This is what it says on the back,,
    Max power 235w
    Max power voltage 29.44
    Max power current 8.02 A

For a converter I have a PWM the sheet that came with it reads,,
    12 volt 24 volt
    Rated solar input 20/30A 20/30A
    Rated load 20/30A 20/30A
    load disconnect 11.1V 22.2V
    Equalization voltage 14.6V 29.2V <30 min
    Boost voltage 14.4V 28.8V <30 min
    Float voltage 13.6V 27.2V

For batteries I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries that are for a boat trolling motor. 114 amp hours @ 1A

I have been told this is a 12 volt panel
    And I have been told that the PWM controller is not a good set up for this panel and that
    I should go with a MPPT controller.
    I was told that the PWM will cut the amps way down----<true?
    If this is true what model MPPT should I get? <--- I'm on budget but I will get what is necessary how many amp controller?
    Can I wire my two batteries in parallel?

I know this is advanced solar forum but please keep it basic if possible <---be gentle I'm new at this

Welcome to wherever we are at the moment. :-)
    Your set of questions, like your current knowledge, is pretty basic, and you would get just as good or identical answers if you posted your questions in the basic off-grid forums instead.
    Since you have power some of the time, your goal to have a system that delivers backup power for specific limited purposes when the grid power fails will allow you to get a decent life from your batteries without the major expense of a full off grid system. And at the same time the small amount of power you have available from your panel means that you do not want to even look at a grid tie system right now.

You could also put together a reasonable system without solar, using an AC charger for your batteries, if you are only looking at an outage lasting a few days. That way you would not have to spend even more money for an MPPT charge controller (see below.)

1. You do not have a nominal 12 volt panel, you have a nominal 24 volt panel. This can be used reasonably efficiently with a PWM controller to charge a 24 volt battery bank.
    2. But since you intend to drive 12 volt DC loads, you cannot just put your two 12 volt batteries in series to make a 24 volt bank.
    3. Therefore, your PWM controller will produce a charging current of only 8 amps to your total of 228 AH of batteries (two in parallel). This is not really enough for a battery bank of that size and will only allow you to accumulate about 32AH on summer days and 16AH or less per day in the winter
    4. A good MPPT controller, on the other hand, would give you 16 amps or more to charge your batteries.

You can make a useful start on your system and learn more practical information about it by starting with the PWM controller you already have. You may want to use only one of your two batteries in that case.
    You will need to do things with fuses, battery health checking, etc. even for your basic system. You can find more information along those lines from sticky threads on the forum and will probably come up with questions after that.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i moved the thread to a more appropriate area of the forum.

as to the amps being reduced, reduced compared to what? the pwm will allow the passage of the pv rated current, but the pv is rated at a higher voltage than what is normally used with pwm controllers. this creates a loss of power capability, but it will still work. at 8.02a stc rating and about 14.5v it will deliver 8.02 x 14.5v = 116.3w max. now the amps would be reduced compared to what the output of an mppt cc would deliver. at best it may be 235w x 90% efficiency of cc = 211.5w stc. dividing that by 14.5v would give 14.59a. more if the battery voltage is lower at say 12v and not near it's bulk absorb changeover point. 211.5w/12v=17.625a. now the output may be reduced further due to stc conditions not being the norm.

inetdog is correct that you need to learn a bit more to get a better grasp on what you will be doing with this stuff and how best to do it. it is not good to say i have this and work backwards from there. you need to address what the need is and then proceed from there.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Leehamrick wrote: »
    Max power 235w
    Max power voltage 29.44
    Max power current 8.02 A

While these panels are more than 24V, they will have trouble topping off a 24v battery which would generally need
    closer to 35V panels, to complete a charging cycle. And, since your loads are 12V loads, a 24V system makes little
    sense at the moment. The existing PWM controller will work, but you will loose a fair amount of solar harvest with it,
    and not be able to recharge BOTH batteries.

For a MPPT charger, you would want something at least 30 amps @ 12V. The
    Rogue, Morningstar and Midnight offerings come to mind as candidates.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/chco.html
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    Welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

I find that a bit disorienting over here at wind-sun:confused: --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

" Quote Originally Posted by inetdog View Post
    Welcome to Solar Panel Talk."
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I find that a bit disorienting over here at wind-sun:confused: --vtMaps

Haha I noticed that too, and wondered where I was, what forum I was on - - - lol
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Okay, from now on we'll just call it "Solarspeak". ;)
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Okay, from now on we'll just call it "Solarspeak". ;)

Or Coot's playground! LOL
  • niel
    Options

odd, i've never heard any solar panels speak before.:p
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    niel wrote: »

Sure they do! They say: "Buy me."
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options

They do. I swaer. At night, when all the sounds go away, I can hear their gentle whisper in the dark ...
  • niel
    Options

i half expected you guys to come back with something like, you can't have a conversation with them when they are outside on the roof.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

NG,.... that is your SWMBO whispering softly in your ear.....BUY ME a _ _ _ _ _ _ .

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    i half expected you guys to come back with something like, you can't have a conversation with them when they are outside on the roof.

I'm often outside on the roof myself, Niel.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northguy wrote: »
    they do. I swaer. At night, when all the sounds go away, i can hear their gentle whisper in the dark ...

"put me back in the light!"
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I understand the Midnight controllers will speak.....
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    I understand the Midnight controllers will speak.....

not yet that i'm aware of.

leehamrick,
    did we address your concerns well enough for you? if we are off the mark or missunderstanding anything, please pipe in and tell us.