reversable conversion of chest or shelf freezer to fridge for less than $15.

john p
john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
If you are contemplating converting your chest or shelf freezer to a fridge here is simple and cheap solution.
This is actually not a conversion at all its a simple add on so the freezer has no alterations.
Parts needed.
1plastic box about 8x4x2 in
1power cord plug too suit your country bare wire other end
1 wall mount power outlet to suit freezer power plug
1used/new thermostat and sensing tube from old ?fridge.
1 relay that has mains voltage operating coil.ie 120 or 240v ac to suit your country rated at least 10a

Construction is simply drill 3 holes in box ,one for sense tube and one for input power cord and one for thermostat control shaft
mount the thermostat and control knob
connect one input mains wire to one term of thermostat and to one of the the N/O term of relay
connect the other mains input wire to outlet socket and to one term of relay coil
connect the other thermostat term to coil term of relay.
connect the other N/O terminal of relay to outlet socket

The operation is simple the tube of thermostat is mounted with either silicon or gaf tape to inside of freezer the thermostat is set to tep you need. set the freezer control to full on.the thermostat switch operates the relay .It must have a 120 or 240v coil rating same as what your freezer is. And the contacts need to be rated at least 10 a I used a aircon relay "cheap" rated 30a" cost about $8.
The freezer just plugs into the power outlet on the box and its power cable connects to the usual freezer wall outlet.. Thats it.
use a thermometer to find a setting of about 3deg C for the "new" fridge

Photos are of the prototype done about 5 yrs ago and in constant use ever sinceand soon will be made into a nice neat box and mounting >>mmmmm

Comments

• unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Re: reversable conversion of chest or shelf freezer to fridge for less than $15.

Hi, John,

I've become my chest freezer in a refrigerator, but without adding or buy anything ...
    Simply you can set the control "coarse" with have most thermostats, to place in a 5ºC temperature range, so it can work directly as refrigerator, without anything more ...

you can see my post here:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?18685-converting-a-chest-freezer-(top-load)-in-a-refrigerator-with-a-freezer!

Here I learned to re-adjust my thermostat:
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-set-internal-chest-freezer-thermostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/
    this will work fine!...

I only need to add the freezer section, that I want to work with a peltier system, located inside the chest refrigerator...
    I'm on it! ...;-)
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: reversable conversion of chest or shelf freezer to fridge for less than $15.
    unicornio wrote: »

Thanks, Lots of good info there!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Rngr275
    Rngr275 Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭

I had read that HomeBrew thread ( I am a member there) as I was going to build a Keg-erator before I moved last year and went off grid. Hard to justify powering a kegerator from my off grid system.... or is it?:D
  • unicornio
    Rngr275 wrote: »
    I had read that HomeBrew thread ( I am a member there) as I was going to build a Keg-erator before I moved last year and went off grid. Hard to justify powering a kegerator from my off grid system.... or is it?:D

you mean that we are not allowed to make bier, when we living off-grid???...
    it needs so much energy waste, to make bier???...
    very bad news for me!...i do not know the process yet, but I had to look forward to one day make my own beer!...
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    unicornio wrote: »
    you mean that we are not allowed to make bier, when we living off-grid???...
    it needs so much energy waste, to make bier???...
    very bad news for me!...i do not know the process yet, but I had to look forward to one day make my own beer!...

There are also processes for making beer that do not require so much refrigeration. Look up "steam beer" for more information.
    Or make your beer in the winter only. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Unicornio, Beer making uses almost the same process as making wine, just that things happen faster ( drinking?) as one wants to have a few bubbles left in the beer and most of us like our wine flat (no bubbles) unless you like 'bubbly' champagne...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • unicornio

I have to learn to make my own beer! ... but yeah!...i know very well the method of making wine! ...;-)
    but we will stop the offtopic here!...;-)