Using 2 inverters in RV

Options
simmtron
simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
This is my situation, we live in our motorhome in Mexico and have a solar system set up with 500 watts of panel, a Xantrex 2000 watt 458 series modified wave inverter and 4 T105 batteries. What I would like to do is use a 650 watt pure sine wave inverter I have by attaching it to the batteries and plugging the shore power extension into it. The Xantrex would still be hooked up but invert and charge function off. I would set the shore power share setting to 5 amps in case for some reason the Xantrex was powered up and tried to charge the batteries from the 650 watt inverter. I do not want to disconnect the Xantrex from the system as I use the battery charge function of it sometimes with my Yamaha generator. I would shut off the 650 watt inverter when charging and change the shore power share setting back to 30 amps. Can anyone see a problem here? 650 watts is plenty for my needs.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Using 2 inverters in RV
    simmtron wrote: »
    This is my situation, we live in our motorhome in Mexico and have a solar system set up with 500 watts of panel, a Xantrex 2000 watt 458 series modified wave inverter and 4 T105 batteries. What I would like to do is use a 650 watt pure sine wave inverter I have by attaching it to the batteries and plugging the shore power extension into it. The Xantrex would still be hooked up but invert and charge function off. I would set the shore power share setting to 5 amps in case for some reason the Xantrex was powered up and tried to charge the batteries from the 650 watt inverter. I do not want to disconnect the Xantrex from the system as I use the battery charge function of it sometimes with my Yamaha generator. I would shut off the 650 watt inverter when charging and change the shore power share setting back to 30 amps. Can anyone see a problem here? 650 watts is plenty for my needs.
    Why don't you put the output of the 458 inverter on a range plug and just plug the inverter in you plan on using ?? That way there never a chance they would ever cross their outputs. I usually setup both inputs / outputs that way, so I can bypass the inverter or plug a spare in at any time.

I never trust myself to forget and you'll blow up both inverters. This way you plug one or the other.
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Options

Great idea, I did ponder doing something like that, probably safer too
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    simmtron wrote: »
    Great idea, I did ponder doing something like that, probably safer too
    You could actually leave the input of the 458 hooked up and still charge with it. The output is the real problem.