72puma
72puma Registered Users Posts: 5
moved where?why?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: upsolar panel?
    72puma wrote: »
    anyone familiar with these china made panels?quality?reputation?was told by dealer they are better than sharp,he sells both.they are cheaper price wise.

He told you that because he makes more profit on the Upsolar than on the Sharp.
  • 72puma
    72puma Registered Users Posts: 5

anyone familiar with these china made panels?quality?reputation?was told by dealer they are better than sharp,he sells both.they are cheaper price wise.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i moved the thread into this section which is set up for products and opinions. you seemed to have no difficulty finding it to modify your post to even ask where/why. it was not deleted, only moved by me.

as far as your question is concerned, i can't make a statement to actually compare the 2 being i have neither of them, but japan has been making pvs for a very long time and china still has some catching up to do. i am not saying there aren't any quality pvs from china, but know that there are plenty that would most likely be substandard to sharp.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I actually have Sharp panels; they are top quality.
    Have not heard about the Upsolar panels particularly, but others of the ilk ("no name") have not been as stellar in customer reviews. This is not to say they aren't any good or won't last, but they do not have a reputation built yet.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found China made panels a mixed lot, the best panels for build that I have ever seen are some NingBo China made panels, the framing is at least 2x as heavy as my China made Evergreen and Suntech panels even though the Evergreen and Suntech are larger panels.

The US made panels I have and have seen fall somewhere between the China made panels. In truth I don't know if I have actually seen any panels made in Japan! All appear to produce fine, I'd stay away from amorphious(?), thin film, or flexable panels, at least for your first time out. Look at the NOCT (normal operating cell temperature) values for a better idea of what you will actually produce at the panel. These vary a good bit I'd guess averaging around 70% of panel rating.

I suspect your looking where I am at the UP-M280P? The nice thing about these is they are true 24V panels with VMP of 35 volts, so you could use them with PWM charge controllers. There is a DATA sheet Here, but they just provide the NOCT coefficients, I may run them tonight.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.