midnite classic arc fault

Options
mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
hi i have a classic 150, on two series conergy 235pm panels and any time the watts goes above around 250 or so the arc fault trips and of course the beeping alert.I have checked the wiring and tighten connection but still have the same problem.Any suggestion please?

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: midnite classic arc fault

Do you have high moisture issues in Guyana?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • mahendra
    Options

that will be a yes humidity is very high here
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you will find there are fine adjustments that can be tailored in your classic. i'm not too sure if yours is a newer or older classic, but i had an older one that also liked to trip. i had to put the sensitivity up to 14 or 15 to keep it from tripping. if adjustments don't work then there is a breakdown of some sort allowing intermittent contact such as a breakdown of wire insulation could allow current flow when bridged by water or high vapor content between the wires. of course there may be another potential problem from other than insulation and these types of problems are hard to trace.

you can look up the info on getting to the proper adjustments by looking in the classic manual. i would've copied and pasted that info, but it does not allow me to do so from the pdf. it is not hard to find.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Neil, Not sure if you've not updated to the latest Adobe software or running a mac or something, but you should be able to copy from PDFs now... "The arc fault module has three adjustable parameters consisting of: MODE, TIME & SENSITVY MODE:...."

It's always nice to speak with the designers on things like this, boB might stop in for a visit here, but he lurks often over at the Midnite Forum.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mahendra
    Options

thanks guys i am aware of the arc sensitivity and response time settings/adjustments but i think the designers "Bob" and Group put default settings for a good purpose so i am just trying to make sure i am not missing anything before i change the setting on arc adjustment.As for contacting Bob i am registered with midnite forums and they are working on it so that"s nice
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

I don't know the details of how the Arc Fault detection is implemented--But if similar to Arc Fault Breakers for standard AC Grid Power, they can be sensitive to "electrically noisy" loads... Such as brushed motors used in vacuum cleaners, mixers, hand drills, etc... The brushes can cause Arc Fault breakers to false trip.

Do you have any electrically noisy loads (especially on the DC side)? Any Battery Desulfators? Any other charge controllers?

-Bill "just guessing" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mahendra
    Options

well i have a morning star prostar 15a but no other loads on dc side just ac loads on a xantrex prowatts sw 2000w
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

FWIW- My classics both have triggered arc faults when my septic pump comes on (AC via inverter). For both the issue was resolved by turning down the arc fault sensitivity setting.
  • mahendra
    Options

thanks for the info
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just for the general Knowledge base, I think boB asked over at Midnight forum if you had an early model of the Classic, stating that they had defaults set more sensitive on the early Classics.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mahendra
    Options

yes he did i gave him the serial because i am not sure if its a older or newer model .however i suspect it is a newer model judging from the webinars done by Ryan
    they don't have the wizard
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

mtdoc,
    do you have older classics? how far did your adjustment go?

mahendra,
    yes, you have a newer one as you don't have the wizard.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

Niel of the 2 Classics I have on line now, one is almost 2 years old ( sn ~ 1000) and the other about 1.5 years old ( sn~ 1900). The first needed the AF sensitivity turned "down" to 10 ( higher no = lower sensitivity) and the newer one needed to be set to 11 to stop the false alarms.