Need fully programable controller..

Options
Maine Sail
Maine Sail Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi All,

I am building a custom LiFePO4 bank for a sailboat. The vessel has solar but I need a controller that is fully customizable so I can program it to work safely with the LiFePO4 pack.

I need a controller that I can control to a MAX voltage of 13.8V to 13.9V.

I need a controller that DOES NOT DO ambient or battery mounted temp compensation

If it does do battery temp compensation I need to be able to turn it OFF.

I need a controller that does NOT do an auto EQ feature and if it does it must be able to be turned off.

I need a controller that allows a float setting of 13.0V

I don't really care whether it is MPPT or PWM

I need a controller that can be "hot disconnected" via a relay on the output side in the event of over voltage to the bank

I would prefer to program it via a computer but if not a remote would be an ok option

Array is only 140W so it does not need to be a "break the bank" controller.

Any advice as to which controller I can use to meet these criteria would be great.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need fully programable controller..

The closest would be the Midnite classic, but, I don't think, it is NOT the BMS(?) you need for LiFePO4 battery pack. Since a solar panel can be shorted with out damage, I don't know if you couldn't just use a DC based BMS and have a solar panel as the energy source.

I think some of the battery packs come with a BMS, which is reported to allow charging as if it was a standard voltage battery. I'd have to hunt for that info.

I think if you check at the Midnite forum site you can find they aren't recomending the classic for this use, yet.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need fully programable controller..

A Morningstar TS 45 would do this I believe. You would need to program it with their free MSview software.

A MN Classic would certainly work but is overkill for 140 watts IMHO

Photowit, charger and BMS are two completely different things.

I don't think one absolutely needs a BMS to charge a LiFePO4 pack. However, without one your chance of killing off some of the cells quickly is high.:roll: of course charging without a BMS with other lithium ion chemistries would risk Dreamliner style pyrotechnics,