Found a Jocobs wind turbine... too bad I'm deployed

Options
MTguy
MTguy Registered Users Posts: 10
http://www.bid-2-buy.com/wspages/bidbuy29.html. This is going ridiculously cheap right now too.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Found a Jocobs wind turbine... too bad I'm deployed
    MTguy wrote: »
    http://www.bid-2-buy.com/wspages/bidbuy29.html. This is going ridiculously cheap right now too.

Well I was going to post that at auction they always do run cheap until the last few minutes/seconds.

..but it's unoperational, gear box toast, blades water logged and then there's this;

"Buyer Is Responsible To Take Down The Tower. This Work Must Be Completed By Certified Contractor. Available to Inspect at 14800 Buck Hill Road, Burnsville, MN. Must Be Removed Within 10 Days Of Auctions End!!"

An 80' pole tower, will likely, require a crane and some time...

A contractor taking that on will likely ask for an open wallet with lots of green in it...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Paging Chris Olsen, Chris Olsen wantedin Burnsville...

Tony
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    ..but it's unoperational, gear box toast, blades water logged
    As for the final nail in the coffin: "The generator has been removed."

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options

I can take it down. I know where the turbine is and it was running yet 5-6 years ago. What happened is that it's by a car lot there and the bottom seal on the gearbox started leaking and throwing oil all over the cars. They're putting up a new Honda Shop there so they want it either working or out of there.

Joe Straley was up there and looked at it and gave them a quote of $40,000 to fix it. However, I'm pretty sure the generator is still in it because the turbine has to come off the tower to get the generator out of it, and it has never been off the tower since it was put up. If anybody is really interested in it I can call Joe Straley and find out the real scoop on it.

I probably got enough spare Jake 23-10 parts laying around here to fix it for not very much money, including a Fidelity 12-lead generator (assuming it's really missing).
    --
    Chris