55 inch LG TV average annual energy cost $14!

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I can't sleep tonight, I made it to town today, a once a week thing, and didn't get a chance to go back and get the model number, but during last weeks trip, I was running through Walmart and saw a 55" LG TV that had a energy cost rating of $14 per year, the 55-60 inch class scale ran from $24 - up and this had an annual use cost of $14! Sorry I didn't get more info. I was in a hurry then and didn't get a chance to go by and provide more info.
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: 55 inch LG TV average annual energy cost $14!

It would have been nice if they listed the average power usage in Watts--But even then--that can be gamed (different light levels, and now with Internet and other options/modes--who knows what is average usage)...

Anyway, I think that the TV you looked at is here on the Energy Star top rated TVs for 2012 website.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit

Works out to be just under a penny an hour, at 11 cents a 1000 watts, so around 40-50 watts, if my late night math is working. $14/365x5hours per day...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Yes, but was that with the set turned on or left off? :p

These numbers are almost arbitrary since they can pick per kW hour costs, hours of use, and video settings.

$14 per year applied to my 40" Toshiba on 'bright' with BC Hydro's cheap rates (going up in April!) comes to 100 hours of viewing. That's not even one hour of news per night.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

I recently decided to upgrade from our 9 yr old 37" flatscreen lcd to a new, larger led tv. I was amazed at how the energy consumption of these have come down. I ended up getting a 55" Samsung from Costco. The Energy Guide label is below. If you run their numbers- 97kWh a year at 5hrs per day for 365 days a year it comes out to 53watt power draw. I haven't yet hooked up my killawatt meter to see if this is accurate but I can already tell it uses much less than our older 37" lcd. Since we probably average 1 hour a day and pay 0.065 /kWh (when the grid is working) if their numbers are accurate that comes out to $1.25 per year 8)

Attachment not found.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone notice which tv uses $73 woeth of electric. It is a big screen Toshiba. After the problems a friend had wouldnnt recomend Toshiba. His tv only lasted about 3 years and they don,t watch it all the time like some do. He finally had to junk it becaise the tv dealer couldn, fix it after he took it back to the shop a lot of times. He found out that there was a class action lawsuit against Toshiba but he was too late to participate. Toshba had to pay. MTDOC, that energy rating sounds about right. I bought a new panasonic 47 inch TC-47ET5 with $14 rate per year. It uses about 50 watts with a bright picture. I can get power usage down to about 42 watts but I don,t like the picture that dark. IT is a smart tv and it gets the :Dsolarvic:D recomendation. Photowitt, Be careful which LG tv you get. I bought the wrong model and took it back to Walmart. It was on sale in the box, no display model set up. It was a real heater and was energystar rated @ $29.00 per year. The higher energy rated ones have cfl light backlighting which gives an excelent picture but is an energy hog. LG has led backlit ones that have a great picture and one of the best antenna tuners you can get. I was on the quest for either an LG or Panasonic when the local sears store gave ne an offer on the Panasonic I couldn,t resist. Got no interest for 3 years on my sears card and he sold it to me for the online price and I didn,t have to wait for it as he had it at the store. :Dsolarvic:D
  • Photowhit
    These numbers are almost arbitrary since they can pick per kW hour costs, hours of use, and video settings.

Sorry 'Coot, I was refering to the Energy rating system on the yellow label in Motdoc's post, not arbitrary, 11 cents a Kwh and 5 hours per day veiwing.

Math for the $11 doesn't include the stand by wattage. Though perhaps they've quit including that.

SolarVic, I don't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile replacing my 32" Energy Star LED back lite TV from about 2 years ago, which uses about the same wattage as these 55" TV's and about the same wattage as my 23" Energy Star TV of about 4-5 years old. Does look like we're heading in the right direction!

If I ever do my book shelf built in, I'll look at putting in a 55" TV, ...but by then they may produce energy!...lol

Bet I get a good 3-4 hours a week in on the tube, still haven't hooked up an antenna (18 months after purchase) so just watch what's on my media player from time to time. I do have audio books running 4 or more hours a day while I'm doing other things, and often all night as I fall asleep with them on and have to hunt for where I fell asleep when I get up.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

I plugged in a 42" LG to my KillaWatt EZ, the default settings measured 46 Watts. After I programmed in the rate (as read from utility bill, adding fees and other charges), the projected yearly cost was higher than the Energy Star rating on the set. I had to look closer at the label to see the X5 next to the sliding scale. I don't know how to do the math to figure how to convert from 24hr estimate, to a 5-6 hour daily use.

BB, could I bother you for a clue? Thank you.
  • BB.

If I understand your question correctly, some variation of the math would look like:

0.046 kW measured load * 5 hours per day hang tag usage * 365 days per year * 0.15 per kWH your local rate = $9.45 per year energy costs per Energy Star tag test

Or, if your usage was different than the Energy Star hang tag, they usually tell you how many kWH per year, and assuming they are using 5 hours a day for usage (and the standby power is negligible-which has been improved a lot over the last decade):

84 kWH per year hang tag * 3 hours of your usage * 1/5 hour standard usage = 50.4 kWH per year @ 3 hour per day usage

Or, per day:

84 kWH per year * 3 hours your usage * 1/5 hour standard usage * 1/365 days per year = 0.138 kWH per day = 138 WH per day

Is one of the above what you where asking?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

They should put two numbers on that tag: "Uses 'X' Watts when on, uses 'Y' Watts when off".

A lot of people would be surprised to see that 'Y' Watts rating. :roll:
  • BB.

I have measured a few "modern" Energy Star devices and they don't even kick up to 1 Watt on the Kill-a-Watt meter (sometimes their kVA is non-zero because of poor power factor, but it is still a very low level).

That, compared to my 20 year old (nice for me) stereo which took 40 Watts on standby...

To put that in prospective, 10-15 years ago I tried really hard to get my home's electrical usage way down (as best you can in a family)--And got it to ~175kWH for a summer month, that is:

175,000 WH / (24 hours per day * 30 days per month) = 243 watt average load

That stereo on standby was about 1/6th of my total power bill...

-Bill
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    I have measured a few "modern" Energy Star devices and they don't even kick up to 1 Watt on the Kill-a-Watt meter (sometimes their kVA is non-zero because of poor power factor, but it is still a very low level).

That, compared to my 20 year old (nice for me) stereo which took 40 Watts on standby...

To put that in prospective, 10-15 years ago I tried really hard to get my home's electrical usage way down (as best you can in a family)--And got it to ~175kWH for a summer month, that is:

175,000 WH / (24 hours per day * 30 days per month) = 243 watt average load

That stereo on standby was about 1/6th of my total power bill...

-Bill
    I gotta take a look at the receiver in my bedroom.

EDIT: My Kill A Watt is on the way. $17 from Amazon.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Just bought a Sharp Aquos 60" LED side-lit a few days ago - my wife talked me into it so we could watch the Ravens play this weekend (and hopefully in February!). Our old 47" used nearly 200 watts with the back light turned down lower than I would have preferred. The new one registers 99 and 0 when off (1 VA when off). I could tell by feel that it used less even before I put it on the Kill-A-Watt since it runs much cooler. So win-win all around.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    Just bought a Sharp Aquos 60" LED side-lit a few days ago - my wife talked me into it so we could watch the Ravens play this weekend (and hopefully in February!). Our old 47" used nearly 200 watts with the back light turned down lower than I would have preferred. The new one registers 99 and 0 when off (1 VA when off). I could tell by feel that it used less even before I put it on the Kill-A-Watt since it runs much cooler. So win-win all around.
    I am in the market for a mid sized (~40") HDTV. I have advised to wait until after the Super Bowl because there is a bit of a buying frenzy in the last month or so preceding the game, and a lot of TV's get returned to stores after the game by folks who had no intention of keeping them.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    I am in the market for a mid sized (~40") HDTV. I have advised to wait until after the Super Bowl because there is a bit of a buying frenzy in the last month or so preceding the game, and a lot of TV's get returned to stores after the game by folks who had no intention of keeping them.

Reminds me of a swimming pool being returned to Walmart after the 4th of July. The man returning the product forced his entire family to participate in the embarrassment as 3 carts of parts were wheeled into the store. The guy even overturned his cart in the doorway and then looked around expecting the Walmart employees to help pick it all up. What an A-Hole. He didn't wait one day, our try to re-box the 18ft pool. Can you imagine what the customer service counter had to say?
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

I love the new LED TVs. I got one for my brother. A 40" LED Sharp Smart TV. It uses less power than my 24" LCD computer monitor! About Half!