Glue Down Solar Racking?

I've seen items such as Coolply that glues down to the roof, have anyone ever seen alternative to this product line?

Thanks,
Philip

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: Glue Down Solar Racking?

Never seen it, but it sounds like a really bad idea for several reasons.
    1. A bear to fix, repair, replace panels, and same for any roof leaks.
    2. panels mounted directly to the roof would get extremely hot
    3. does not allow for expansion/contraction with temp
    ..etc
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Are you asking about gluing the racking (not the modules) down to the roof?

The basic problem there is that most building departments require the solar system to be securely fastened to the building structure. (screwed into the framing trusses)
  • Philip C
    Philip C Solar Expert Posts: 45

Yes I was referring to gluing some sort of attachment down. Here's my problem, we have an R-Panel style roof that has been re-roofed with a layer of foam and TPO on top of that. The roof is at a 5deg tilt, so I don't think ballasted is a viable option. Has anyone attached to this type of situation and how did they do so? I'm not certain of the foam thickness, I will have to contact the roofer for that detail.

Thank You,
    Philip
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Phillip,

This approach would seem to bring only concerns and worry to the project. The adheasion of the foam is of critical importance to the PV modules remaining on the roof. In general the (sprayed-on ??) foam is designed to allow the FOAM to adhere to the roof for the expected life of that foam. But would expect that it is not designed to guarantee the adheasion of point-loads of items that can apply a lot of force onto a small footprint of the foam.

It is difficult to imagine that any permitting authority, or anyone skilled in mechanical or structural engineering, believing that this would work well for any period of time -- am making some assumptions about the nature of the foam, and the "TPO" (which I cannot guess the meaning of). But would bet that the manufacturer of either of these products would not endorse this application. All of this in addition to the above noted issues.

I would not attach MY PVs in this manner. YMMV, opinions. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Philip C wrote: »
    Yes I was referring to gluing some sort of attachment down. Here's my problem, we have an R-Panel style roof that has been re-roofed with a layer of foam and TPO on top of that. The roof is at a 5deg tilt, so I don't think ballasted is a viable option. Has anyone attached to this type of situation and how did they do so? I'm not certain of the foam thickness, I will have to contact the roofer for that detail.

Thank You,
    Philip
    My company has exactly the same problem to solve, down to the slope of the roof. You aren't in New Jersey by any chance, are you?
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    Are you asking about gluing the racking (not the modules) down to the roof?

The basic problem there is that most building departments require the solar system to be securely fastened to the building structure. (screwed into the framing trusses)
    That, or ballasted.
  • Philip C
    Philip C Solar Expert Posts: 45

Well it appears that Solar Frame Works has gone out of business (the creators of CoolPly) My guess the "glue" didn't hold ;)