Trace SW 4024 lost its backlight on the display

Options
I just shipped my SW 4024 from one house to another and noticed the backlight on the display panel is not working. Any Ideas?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Trace SW 4024 lost its backlight on the display

Just in general, shipping can be very hard on larger devices--Literally shake them apart.

If you are comfortable pulling your system apart--Check that all connectors and plug-in modules are fully seated. If there are any wires that are soldered into the board, and any connectors, look for fractured solder joints.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • phil@fostini.com
    phil@fostini.com Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

I'll take a closer look at it. I pulled the cover off to blow out the dust and give it a general cleaning. I assume its an led type light so burning out would probably be out of the question.
  • BB.
    Options

Just be careful, some brushes and compressed air can generate static electricity (death to electronics).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the SW 4024 is at all like the SW+ 5548s, there are many flat-ribbon interconnect cables. Have not checked, but there should be some sort of cable from the display/pushbutton assembly to another board. Check each end of that cable, and try re-seating each end.

These inverters are very heavy, and it is a miracle that any survive UPS or even FedEx Ground shipment. The 5548s have a shipping weight of about 143 lbs in the original factory shipping box. Have watched UPS push these inverters off the tail-gate of the delivery truck onto the ground -- about 28 inches or so. Must be part of the "breaking-in" process. But all of mine survived UPS shippment. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    Options

Decades ago, I was evaluating 9 track computer tape drives (about the size/weight of these inverters)... We shipped a few back and forth during the time and they all worked well.

The first actual production shipment came via truck from Los Angeles to Hayward... And each one had a 1/2 dozen screws in the bottom that had been shaken loose and fell out (was the first time they had shipped any via long distance truck).

-Bill
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The display is a very old and very common standard HD44780-based LCD modules. A little Google searching should find one very close to the style with backlight.