Radio / News options when off grid...

Options
alyaz
alyaz Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
what are you guys doing to receive news / radio when off grid. while we have Starchoice satellite, running the TV / receiver is not that great of an energy choice. are those 10 band / 12 band radios a worthwhile investment? or is there a better alternative such as syrius radio (but then you are paying a monthly contract). thanks...
3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Radio / News options when off grid...

Do you have any cell/data services available there (guessing not)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The first thing we did (do) is get a good car stereo, which runs off 12 vdc. The advantge is that car radios typically have pretty good signal capture compared to most other radios. The also have good antenna ports. We run a directional Yagi for specific direction fringe, and a tall vertical for others, with an A/B switch. This allows us (depending on the day) to get reasonable reception from the CBC station 100 miles away, and a US NPR tht seems to skip over Lake Superior from Upper MI. (FM). AM during the day is pretty marginal, but at night of course I can get stations from all over the US mid section.

We also have a Sat radio for when we travel, but we seldom use it because, now we tend to use Internet radio. If you have an reasonable ISP service, with reasonable band width 1 k or better download, intent radio is great. Using any device (we use either an IPod touch or I have a special Internet radio receiver) you can get nearly any radio in the world, plus pod casts etc.

These are then wired into the Aux input of the car radio. All of these devices are powered off of 12 vdc if I choose. The bottom line is compared to when I was going up, the world... Is at my fingertips, 24/7.

Tony
  • DarkStar
    DarkStar Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Options

I own a Tecsun PL-380 radio (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/5902.html). Does gangbusters on AM/Shortwave and FM with only 3 AA batteries.

For something more substantial, I would probably go with an Icom IC-R75 receiver (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/0175.html) and a nice external antenna.
  • icarus
    Options

I also have used with pretty good luck, the Grundig Yatch Boy portable SW radio. The FM section is pretty good. The problem I had with them is that the battery compartments would corrode, shoring out the boards. I think I have three of them now that are sitting not he bench. I solved the problem by running them on a 9 vdc Makita drill battery, since the radio is alive 9 vdc. So with no internal batteries, no problem.

Tony
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    DarkStar wrote: »
    I own a Tecsun PL-380 radio (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/5902.html). Does gangbusters on AM/Shortwave and FM with only 3 AA batteries.
    I have one that I got from Radio Shack that looks very similar. I have never heard ONE THING on any of its 6 or so short wave bands.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

most of those portable multiband type of radios are garbage that i've seen, but i can't say for all of them. to get a good one will cost plenty of $, but the short waves are a good source for news if you know where to look in the radio spectrum. (note that a small indoor antenna won't cut it in most cases) this isn't 100% reliable at all times either as the ionospheric conditions can change up. in a general search to try to help you out with recommending an affordable receiver i ran into sticker shock as many of those receivers are high enough in price now to rival some ham equipment that not only receives better, but can transmit too.

if you are in a fringe area for some am/fm broadcast stations then investing in an antenna that is of some quality with low loss cable down to the car stereo is a real good solution as it will work with less power consumption too as opposed to regular stereo equipment. there's also the option of headphones if you are the only one to hear it at the time and can tolerate them on your head for some time as this allows the volume to be turned down and lessens the draw from the audio amplifiers.

i am not too familiar with some of the sat broadcasts, but i guess that is a viable option too.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have internet you could listen to radio stations from internet. Also a roko player can be used. I got a new panasonic smart tv that had an ap called tune in that has local radio stations from most countrys< Canada and us included. The roku player also has that ap. :Dsolarvic:D http://tunein.com/radio/Canada-r101227/ Here is the tune in link I mentioned
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solarvic wrote: »
    The roku player also has that ap. :Dsolarvic:D http://tunein.com/radio/Canada-r101227/ Here is the tune in link I mentioned

Thanks for that link! Using it right now :D
  • alyaz
    Options

yes we do have internet. we are using the smart hub / Telus. streaming radio in on it seems to have doubled our monthly internet bill, so will look into the other options presented here... thanks much.
    3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.
  • icarus
    Options

That's interesting. My Rodgers (TBay tel) is fairly generous with through out, and the radio uses way less that 100kbps, so on a say 5 gig/month the radio is nothing.

Tony
  • BB.
    Options

Be careful... Even 100kbps adds up pretty quickly...

0.100Mpbs * 1/10 bits per byte * 0.001 GB/MB * 3,6000 seconds per hour = 0.036 GBytes per hour
    5GBytes * 1/0.036 GBytes per hour = 139 hours (~17 days @ 8 hours per day)

If I got my math right...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    Options

Do some people have to pay for the amount if bytes they use? I just got wifi a couple months ago and the ROKU I mentioned works on wifi. I use one on an old tv I have as I am gti and have enough power to cover it. The roku uses 1 watt and doesn,t have an off switch. It has an output wire with 1 plug and goes to right n left audio and vidio. You can also get lots of other entertainment besides radio. If you didn,t want to run the tv all the time you could use a computer speakers and the vidio to tv and once you got the chanel set for listening turn off the tv. I have a pair of rs speakers that have rca connection I think I will try that on to make sure it works. :Dsolarvic:D
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do some people have to pay for the amount if bytes they use? :Dsolarvic:D

People who use their cellular carrier for data have a fixed monthly limit, with steep charges for overage. The few unlimited data plans which were offered are being phased out.
    For DSL, cable and satellite, it is more common to have a formal bandwidth cap and an informal retaliation against excessive usage. Informal in that they refuse to tell you what they are counting and what their roadblock strategy is, but you will suddenly find your service getting really bad until the end of that month. Worst case they will refuse to renew your contract if you "abuse" the system according to their unpublished criteria.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    Options

Satilite folks still pay (a lot). And I use a 4G cell phone (Verizon) with free tethering (and wifi hot spot--maybe) that still has unlimited usage (but I would guess if I go over 5 GBytes per month--I would be back to $30 and 2 GB per month plan).

I also have cable Internet--And that is unlimited, but last I heard a year ago, Comcast has a "hidden" 250 GB per month threshold that will trigger a warning (first time) and a disconnect (second time).

-Bill
  • icarus
    Options

Our Rodgers (Tbaytel) plan stair steps,, can't remember all the details but for ~$30 we get 1 gig,,$40 for 5, up to $75 for 20, witha per mbs charge over 20. We average about 10-12 gigs per month, for a bill (including the phone service through the hub) of about $65/month. We stream a bit, download periodicals and books, listen to the radio much of most days. It isn't perfect, but it beat e heck out of the sat service both on price and speed.

Tony

PS. what I don't know is what the radio actually uses. Some day I will look at the numbers using ony the radio for X hours and see. MY guess is that it might be as low as 10 Kbps. VoIP uses way less than 100.
  • solarvic
    Options

I have dsl thru the windstream telephone co and never had any problems yet. Here where I live I thought the landline bill was getting too high. I called them and told them I was going to cancell the phone co and go to cable for phone. That got thier attention. They lowered my bill about $25 and gave me a lot better deal. Unlimited calling, unlimited dsl usage. I failed to tell them I couldn,t get cable. When they put in cable they went on the east west direction on both roads that my north south road connects to. They said there weren,t enough homes on ,my road. In my previous post #8 i described how I was going to see if the roko player would work with a pair of computer speakers that have rca ports. I run the vidio wire to tv for on screen programing and the audio left & right wire to powered computer speakers. When I get the radio station tuned in I then turn off the tv. So should be preety eficient as the Roku only uses 2 watts and what power your speakers consume.. :Dssolarvic:D
  • inetdog
    Options
    I have dsl thru the windstream telephone co and never had any problems yet. Here where I live I thought the landline bill was getting too high. I called them and told them I was going to cancell the phone co and go to cable for phone. That got thier attention. They lowered my bill about $25 and gave me a lot better deal. Unlimited calling, unlimited dsl usage. I failed to tell them I couldn,t get cable. When they put in cable they went on the east west direction on both roads that my north south road connects to. They said there weren,t enough homes on ,my road. In my previous post #8 i described how I was going to see if the roko player would work with a pair of computer speakers that have rca ports. I run the vidio wire to tv for on screen programing and the audio left & right wire to powered computer speakers. When I get the radio station tuned in I then turn off the tv. So should be preety eficient as the Roku only uses 2 watts and what power your speakers consume.. :Dssolarvic:D

Way to go finding adaptations to Telco as well as technology!
    You could also just use disposable batteries in most computer speakers instead of wall-wart or USB power. :-)

Depending on the distance, you may be able to do a deal with a neighbor on the N-S road to make use of their cable internet via point-to-point WiFi. If you use directional antennas and have a clear line of sight you can get a range of several miles. With dish antennas tens of miles.

PS: DSL is the least likely to impose a bandwidth or usage cap beyond the limits of the DSL line itself because you are not sharing bandwidth with anyone else all the way back to the central office. As long as their underlying Internet backbone connection has capacity, there is no incentive for them to try to throttle you.
    With cell, satellite and cable you are sharing bandwidth with other users and your increased use impacts them or forces new cell towers or other infrastructure to be added.

In the past, I have been quite satisfied with DSL since I do not try to stream movies or do BitTorrent.
  • alyaz
    Options

thanks gang... scored a Icom IC-R75 receiver today. yes, lots of cash ($450 used with a warranty) but after reviewing the different receivers they seem to be one of the better ones. will pay for itself in six months, the way we were going with the internet over-runs...
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you got one of the cheaper end better ones.
    this is one of the best ones and it goes for around $14000.:cry:
    http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/receivers/tabletop/r9500/default.aspx

their in between model, the r8500, goes for nearly $2000 and is about what my full blown ham transeiver from kenwood costs. i have the kenwood model ts-2000x.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Running 2 laptops tethered off a android phone, in a 3G (sometimes it hits a 4G site) carrier. We have a 6GB allotment, and with internet surfing, and just a couple short youtubes, we approach our limit each month. No cable, no landline, and even with the new high bandwidth internet sat service, I hear that is still not perfected.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• ggunn
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    you got one of the cheaper end better ones.
    this is one of the best ones and it goes for around $14000.:cry:
    http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/receivers/tabletop/r9500/default.aspx

Fourteen THOUSAND dollars for a RADIO???

I don't think so.
  • inetdog
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Running 2 laptops tethered off a android phone, in a 3G (sometimes it hits a 4G site) carrier.

If you find that you are more likely to get 4G when your phone is in a specific location (like on your roof, or up a hill), you may want to look at a cell extender to allow you to put an antenna in the optimum location and repeat the signal to your phone. Of course that will not give your more monthly allocation, just better response speed, tempting you to look at more YouTube :-) . Make sure that the extender is rated for 4G as used by your carrier. (Verizon? AT&T?)
    If you open a command window on one of your computers and run "ping 8.8.8.8" it will indicate what the approximate round trip time to a reliable server (Google in Mountain View, CA) is. If that number gets above 1000 milliseconds you are experiencing a lot of congestion with your cell service and you would probably do a lot better if you were able to consistently get 4G.
  • ggunn
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    If you find that you are more likely to get 4G when your phone is in a specific location (like on your roof, or up a hill), you may want to look at a cell extender to allow you to put an antenna in the optimum location and repeat the signal to your phone. Of course that will not give your more monthly allocation, just better response speed, tempting you to look at more YouTube :-) . Make sure that the extender is rated for 4G as used by your carrier. (Verizon? AT&T?)
    If you open a command window on one of your computers and run "ping 8.8.8.8" it will indicate what the approximate round trip time to a reliable server (Google in Mountain View, CA) is. If that number gets above 1000 milliseconds you are experiencing a lot of congestion with your cell service and you would probably do a lot better if you were able to consistently get 4G.
    Ah, yes, the command line. I remember the command line...

root> cd /
    root> rm -rf *

:D
  • inetdog
    Options
    ggunn wrote: »
    Ah, yes, the command line. I remember the command line...

root> cd /
    root> rm -rf *

:D
    For pain per character, that has to be one of the best.
    The "f" to suppress the idiot proofing prompt is a particularly nice touch.

For the command line challenged who want to monitor their network connection, try
    http://www.speedtest.net/ and
    http://pingtest.net/

-Dog