New Record Solar Output

I set a new record today for the least amount of energy that can be produced by 3.5 kW of solar panels in one day when it's not raining or snowing, and still be measurable - 1 amp-hour!

I saw a peak of 12 watts around noon on the Classic's display. I now hold the official record for 46° N latitude and I challenge anybody to beat it 8)
--
Chris

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Record Solar Output

I don't suppose covering the PV array with tarps would be cheating, would it ??
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭

You can try it. But if you get zero, I still win :p

You might have to release a new firmware update for the Classic that shows amp-hours in tenths to best it :D

--
    Chris
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Two days ago at 11 amp and miserably rainy day (it was a warm rain) and my 3.5 kW GT array was averaging 130 watts in and 12 watts out...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    ... and still be measurable -...

There's always a catch, I have most of my 4Kw array out of my spare room now.... 2.6 Kw will live there until spring (unless winter doesn't show up...lol)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I've had days where the controller never wakes up. Doesn't happen very often, but under 100wh is not so uncommon for me especially in November. Short days, lots of cloud, no snow yet and no ice for reflection. Once I get ice, I get some output no matter what the weather.

Tony
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

SEIA did some testing at their lab and found that even when covered by your typical "blue tarp", string tied PV modules still put out enough voltage to be lethal. So much for the "cover your array with tarps" safety practice.

- beautiful warm sunny days here btw. (unusually warm nights so far this winter as well - less than a handful of freezing temps when usually it is every night).
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    SEIA did some testing at their lab and found that even when covered by your typical "blue tarp", string tied PV modules still put out enough voltage to be lethal. So much for the "cover your array with tarps" safety practice.

- beautiful warm sunny days here btw. (unusually warm nights so far this winter as well - less than a handful of freezing temps when usually it is every night).

Yeah been great last month as the lows in the valley have been around 50-55F. PVwatts predicted 1341kWh with my tilt and 0.77 derate but I actually got 1549 kWh in November.
  • ChrisOlson
    icarus wrote: »
    I've had days where the controller never wakes up. Doesn't happen very often, but under 100wh is not so uncommon for me especially in November. Short days, lots of cloud, no snow yet and no ice for reflection. Once I get ice, I get some output no matter what the weather.

It's been really messed up here - no solar hardly at all. So dark overcast during the day that our solar lights won't even turn off during the day with fresh batteries in them. Wind is sporadic and it has carried the loads some of the time. But for the first time in 10 months we've had to revert to "Honda - The Power of Dreams".
    --
    Chris
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    I set a new record today for the least amount of energy that can be produced by 3.5 kW of solar panels in one day when it's not raining or snowing, and still be measurable - 1 amp-hour!
    2 amps for the day here, may be I could have the silver medal :p
    At least tomorow will be better,
    Erik
  • ChrisOlson

Well, I'll be darned if we didn't get 4 amp-hours here today. I'm starting to lose my edge. LOL!
    --
    Chris