4 Kw up and nothing to do... or I'm just looking for a load...

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I'm getting closer, I called the shipper and the rest of my aluminum has been shipped, even though there is no tracking infor and it's past the delivery date, so I figure, it's likely to be up by Wed of next week, particularly since it turns cold again then, and I really don't want to be working up in the wind in sub-freezing weather. I'll have all the racking up Friday before work(2nd shift), and hope to have the bottom 12 panels up.

There is no chance of going off grid this winter, I don't have a wood stove in yet and it will not be practical to try to get one in with ther other small items to finish with the solar system, moving 1100lb battery, wiring the electrical box, and I'll need to dig up the grid tie wiring and install it when I disconnect. So...

I wonder about what to use the wattage on, I was thinking of running a couple oil radiator type heaters at 600watts during the day and maybe to 'exercise' the battery run them a little later now and again. I will only have a 1800 watt inverter for a while. and I could try the water heater, but I don't want to 'mix' systems. I pretty much want to run off an extension cord for the winter. (I have a 100' 12 gauge, and can pull my 10 gauge shore line from the cabin if I need to)

I can do all my cooking off the system. toaster oven, microwave, rice and slow cooker. I don't have an induction burner yet, but I could afford that as well. I already have one oil heater and the array is off the kitchen so maybe a blend of those things to use some of the energy produced... Any thoughts?

I'll leave the goofy board extensions!

Attachment not found.
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
3.jpg 195.1K

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 4 Kw up and nothing to do... or I'm just looking for a load...

they make wood stoves available for trailers? interesting. when you get that stove let us know what all you did to install it. i'd be interested in even more particulars like where, what, and how much. looks like you have wood for it already.

as to the pvs, well i suppose there's lots you can do and it'll be up to you. it could be a source of power for a resistive heater, but the oil filled will feel more comfortable. i know that's a solar no no, but it's going to go to waste anyway until it's all in place. it would save you from going outside to get some wood to burn earlier in the morning when it's the coldest and you don't even feel like getting out of bed let alone fetch wood to burn. hey, even a coffee maker plugged in long term.
  • Photowhit

I actually had a wood stove in a camper before!, but yes you can put a wood stove in a mobile home, they take air from outside while in use.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Is the wood frame on that array going to last as long as the PV modules will?
  • Photowhit

Only regret not having put concrete tubes in the ground. There is concrete a the bottom. It might not last the 40-50 years, I hope is the useful life of the panels, but expect/hope it to last the life of the owner, now 53. Then it's someone elses problem...lol.
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭

The little oil filled space heaters make a nice diversion load. On full sun days I can squeeze one onto my system in exchange for slightly less hot water heating. The lowest setting on mine is 700 watts, however if it runs for 5 hours at that setting it's still 12K BTUs, and it's a nice, steady heat.

I'd suggest running a little signal wire from the Classic AUX output to a mechanical relay to switch the heaters on and off. Then you can play around with the various AUX output options (although you probably want to use non-PWM modes) on the Classic to see what works best to maximize panel harvest while allowing the batteries to get charged normally.

There are a lot of options with those Classic AUX outputs and it actually takes time and experimentation to learn, so this could be a good opportunity to figure them out.

Looking good!