XW Equalize time?

Options
From an older thread:
topper wrote: »
To my knowledge the XW 4024 equalization is an auto 30 minutes.
If you wish to EQ longer you will have to enable EQ again.
I think the reasoning is to be able to take SOC readings without damaging your battery bank.

Is this true? Is there no EQ time adjustment in the XW Inverter/Charger?

Say it isn't so!

I just tried to get an XW system to EQ some Rolls Surrettes for a three hour run. I could not find an EQ time setting. I'd been thinking that it would be some quirk which would make EQ time the same as Absorb time, but no luck. I tried it today and after finishing an Absorb charge it only EQ-d for one hour.

I can't believe I'm only now realizing this.:blush:

Is this true for the CCs too?

-Alex

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: XW Equalize time?

I'm gong on old reading, and I'm pretty sure the PWM C series can be set for different times, not a lot of them I think 1 or 2 hours.

Pretty much this type of maintanance equalizing (unsupervised) you don't want to have long EQ times since you could run a battery dry...

I'm speaking to the every 30 cycle EQ.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I know on the Xantrex "C" series Charge Controllers it's a hour. Back in the day Heart Interface was 8 hours and Trace stuff was 4 hours. If you left them they were cooking at the end and smoking hot.

I have a Xantrex SW 3000 Inverter, It's a hour also.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have only needed more than an hour a couple of times. Program the bulk/absorb for the time you need at the voltage you need. Not optimum but workable.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options
    I have only needed more than an hour a couple of times. Program the bulk/absorb for the time you need at the voltage you need. Not optimum but workable.

Thanks, Dave.

That's what I came up with too. Unfortunately this will require additional trips to the sites for all but the sharpest clients.

I have recently taken on preventative maintenance for several systems installed by another company. They had been using mostly XWs and Rolls/Surrettes for some time. Though RS are the biggest culprets lately I have also found issues with some Hawkers and Yuassas. This time of year deficit charging and failed cells really become a noticable problem. I'm trying to develope some strategies based on the relative charging current vs capacity for these systems. Unfortunately with the XW's Absorb termination amps based on 2% of the programmed battery capacity and only one hour of EQ time the problems can quickly become quite advanced.

It can be difficult for the system operators to identify the problem at an early stage. The weak batteries can fool the SOC meters beacuse of the quick voltage rise and quick current drop off once the Bulk/absorb voltage setting is reached.

-Alex
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Dave.

That's what I came up with too. Unfortunately this will require additional trips to the sites for all but the sharpest clients.

I have recently taken on preventative maintenance for several systems installed by another company. They had been using mostly XWs and Rolls/Surrettes for some time. Though RS are the biggest culprets lately I have also found issues with some Hawkers and Yuassas. This time of year deficit charging and failed cells really become a noticable problem. I'm trying to develope some strategies based on the relative charging current vs capacity for these systems. Unfortunately with the XW's Absorb termination amps based on 2% of the programmed battery capacity and only one hour of EQ time the problems can quickly become quite advanced.

It can be difficult for the system operators to identify the problem at an early stage. The weak batteries can fool the SOC meters beacuse of the quick voltage rise and quick current drop off once the Bulk/absorb voltage setting is reached.

-Alex

It isn't easy dealing with offgrid clients! It is easier and more lucrative if you stay away from the ones who can't afford it. For the ones who can you make sure they are getting the maximum hours of sun (some kind of tracking scheme) and completing charge very early in most all days. (lots of array)

Your XW charge problem is solved by changing the capacity programmed BTW.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options
    Your XW charge problem is solved by changing the capacity programmed BTW.

I usually set it for about 2/3 of the c/20 capacity. It's rare that I find a system installed by others who have taken this into account. To be fair, it's not readily available information.

The trouble I find is in service work or for systems installed by others. The XW is not a system which I can easily instruct a novice how to do corrective charging. It's not just one or two settings. Oh well. Nothing is perfect. I still like the XW system.

I've come to the realization that I'm not going to get rich. I feel sorry for little old ladies who tried to "simplify" their lives and live off the grid. I try to remember to draw the line and not give discounts to people who are obviously more well-to-do than I am.:roll:

-Alex