Just picked up my forklift battery

ozarkgem
ozarkgem Registered Users Posts: 21
It was load tested at 50 amps for 6 hrs. 24 volt, 750 amp hr battery. 1500 lbs. Made the old Tundra ride low. LOL. The battery is 3 yrs old. I think that
should do me overnight without any problems. If not I can get another one. My epanel and Midnite controller will be in this week. I am really looking
forward to getting all this hooked up. Then I can move in.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Just picked up my forklift battery

I don't know if we ever got the capacity of the battery, 6 hour vs 20 hour, if it is a 750 Amp Hour at 6 hour rate, that's not much of a test. Did they check SG after the test? 3 yrs old, is pretty sweet! unless it was bumped between shifts, a high rate short charge that doesn't fully charge, it sounds like a sweet deal!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ozarkgem

yep he checked the SG and said it was where it is supposed to be. He has done nothing but forklift batteries for 30 yrs and has sold over 20 locally to off griders.
    He knew what I was trying to achieve and a really nice guy to deal with. He is selling some to the Amish for their systems. Supposedly they just use them for lights
    but he said they had some pretty big cables to run lights. LOL. He has a 1 yr old 48 volt 1000 amp hr setting there also. I drooled over it . It was 3 grand but
    what a power house.
    I am still confused about the amp hr rating, depth of discharge, charge rate, equalize rate and so on. I got my Classic in yesterday and am studing the manual. I hope
    to get my epanel in today and start wireing tomorrow. So how many watts of AC power wil this battery give me? Maybe another one in parralell?
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    ozarkgem wrote: »
    So how many watts of AC power wil this battery give me?

are you asking abouts 'watts' or 'wattHours'? 24 volts x 750 ah = 18,000 wattHours (for a 100% discharge). The AC watthours you can draw will be reduced by inverter inefficiency. Also, there is the Peukert effect: if you draw too many watts at one time, you will not get the full 18,000 watthours available.

Are you asking how many watts (not watthours) you can draw? That depends on the rating of your battery. Is the 750 ah a 20 hour rate? I think forklift batteries are often rated at a faster draw because they are often depleted in an 8 hour shift.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ozarkgem

not sure if the amp hr is 20 hrs or not. He pulled 50 amps for 6 hrs so I guess that would be 7200 watt hrs? divide that by 120 volts and get 60 amp hrs at 120 v.
    I understand there is loss and inefficiency just trying to keep the math simple. Is my math right? I may another battery for summer.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Yep, that is correct:

50 amps * 6 hours * 24 volts = 7,200 Watt*Hours

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

ozarkgem
    I take it buy your name you may be from mo? If so is the 48 volt battery you drooled over in missouri?
    As you may have guessed I am from missouri.
    Thanks
    gww
  • ozarkgem

yep its by Springfield.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

I have a daughter that lives in springfield and one that lives in marshfield. I am in the rosebud area. Who sells the batteries. If you see my profile you see I have none yet.
    cheers neigbor
    gww