HIT Sets 21.4% Efficiency Solar Cell Record

Options
RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
Thanks to researchers at EPFL`s Institute of Microengineering in Neuchatel, Switzerland, a new world record efficiency of 21.4% has been set for solar cells. This feat was done with HIT solar cells (heterojunction with intrinsic thin layer), and is by far the highest conversion efficiency ever achieved with the substrates that were used. These types of solar cells basically combine the best of monocrystalline and amorphous silicon. The team has...

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=Fpy8kojj73o:7PlzSrfVAmo:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=Fpy8kojj73o:7PlzSrfVAmo:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
Fpy8kojj73o

More...

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: HIT Sets 21.4% Efficiency Solar Cell Record

Predicting that the technology will be usable to produce panels at roughly $.50 per watt in five years. ($100 for a 1 square-meter panel).
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

50 cents per watt would be something - we'll see. The article makes it sound like this is a quantum leap in technology and still "years away from getting to market. I'm not sure what the breakthrough is since HIT panels have been available for a while with only slightly less efficiency. Is it that the material cost will be much less using p-doped silicon?

I've been pretty happy with my Sanyo HIT225s. The cell efficiency is 20.2% which allowed me to fit 1800 watts on a smaller, less expensive Wattsun tracker. Now that I have a second array - I appreciate them more. In full sun they typically put out 85-90% of their STC rating versus about 80% for my Evergreen panels. On the other hand I paid almost 4 times as much per watt for them..:roll:
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

in my opinion getting the effciency up and the size down would be the best thing to make solar more attractive

people just don't have room to put 40 panels on their roof.