Last Look

Joe J
Joe J Solar Expert Posts: 49 ✭✭
See anything wrong with this wiring and breaker set-up. Ready to go.

Information: 3 panels in series, 2 in parallel Total 6 panels: 870 watts 16.1 amps wired for 36 volts, 25 foot run, Midnite Classic 150, 4-6volt batteries wired for 12 volts (440 amp hours) 12 volt xantrex inverter.

I'm going with #8 THWN wire in sealtight from distribution box on roof with a 25 amp breaker inside.

Using #8 THWN wire to inverter with 100 amp breaker

#0 gauge wire to batteries and inverter with 250 amp breaker (per xantrez manual)

#6 bare wire on the 2 panel rails to a ground rod and a lighting protector outside the house

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Last Look
    Joe J wrote: »
    Using #8 THWN wire to inverter with 100 amp breaker

This is to the charge controller?
    #0 gauge wire to batteries and inverter with 250 amp breaker (per xantrez manual)

This is a short run?
    #6 bare wire on the 2 panel rails to a ground rod and a lighting protector outside the house

Each panel needs to be grounded, you can use the weeb system with some rails, I think, or a grounding lug on each panel. Off grid is less important unless you will have to be inspected, even those I've seen inspected are typically done incorect and since it's an aluminum to tinned copper, or aluminum to SS to copper, a very high percent fail within a few years (or so I've read)

All grounds to a common point/single grounding rod, or tie the grounding points together...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    or aluminum to SS to copper, a very high percent fail within a few years (or so I've read)
    Can someone enlighten me on this one please?
    I did my grounding this way, thinking it would prevent corrosion at the terminals. So far it appears to be working (5 years since I moved my panels and no signs of trouble), but once a year I've been giving the ground connections a shot of anti corrosion "Rust Check". http://rustcheck.com/index.php?option=com_djcatalog2&view=items&cid=6:aerosols-rp&cid=6:aerosols-rp&Itemid=105 (the red can)
    BTW, I also give all my battery terminals and connections a yearly shot of this product and going on 11 years, all are still just like new. Seriously.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not really up yet, but I'll hunt around when I am, or tonight at work. Maybe I shouldn't have said any thing, took a while to find info last time around.

Did a quick search and this has lots of visual failures which aren't the typical problem;

http://www.solarabcs.org/about/publications/reports/module-grounding/pdfs/module-grounding_studyreport.pdfhttp://www.solarabcs.org/about/publications/reports/module-grounding/pdfs/module-grounding_studyreport.pdf

The typical problen is the different metals invite electrolisist(?) or iteraction between them, add that aluminum oxidizes almost instantaniously when exposed to oxygen and expands and contracts at different rates with SS and copper, and thread cutting bolts connections fail, copper to aluminum fail...

I think the WEEB liturature talked about some of the info I had read, I didn't see where they had a much different product, just a SS points creating a connection, much as a thread cutting bolt. figured they were comparing new connections to old when they promoted their product.

SO when doing a connection, the aluminum should be roughed up preferably under grease, and the SS thread cutting bold should be doped with dielectric grease, and you should have a nut with a star washer behind to give the connection the best chance, doesn't change any of the problems with such a connection, just gives the best chance...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Joe J
    Joe J Solar Expert Posts: 49 ✭✭
    This is to the charge controller?...

I should have said controller to battery. Looking at this again for 100 amps more like #4 wire?

This is a short run?

Yes. About 5 to 6 feet

Each panel needs to be grounded, you can use the weeb system with some rails, I think, or a grounding lug on each panel. Off grid is less important unless you will have to be inspected, even those I've seen inspected are typically done incorect and since it's an aluminum to tinned copper, or aluminum to SS to copper, a very high percent fail within a few years (or so I've read)

All grounds to a common point/single grounding rod, or tie the grounding points together...

O.K So ground each panel. I would think one continuous unspliced wire.