Who makes the most compatable PV charge controller for a Magnum Energy Inverter?

Options
Fe-Wood
Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
Hi again all,
I'm looking at adding pv to my system and want to start looking at charge controllers to complement my Magnum Energy inverter. I'm also interested in knowing if at a later date I could use the same controller for wind energy as well (combine the 2 inputs of energy to 1 controller)

Many thanks!

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Who makes the most compatable PV charge controller for a Magnum Energy Inverter?

Look at the Midnite Classic series, they have a wind option as well as hydro and of course PV http://midnitesolar.com

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Who makes the most compatable PV charge controller for a Magnum Energy Inverter?

Are you looking for a controller that can "talk" to the Magnum? I don't think any of them will do that. In terms of system integration, Outback is the best. Xantrex can do this too, but ...

So the good news is you can use the MidNite Classic controller for your PV with the Magnum. Best controller going right now. They can also be used for wind (are you sure you want to toss money to the wind?) but pretty sure it's one or the other, not both at the same time on one controller. There are some combined solar/wind controllers out there, but they tend to be "no name" or orphan units.

Others will have input and opinions on this as well.
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

Thanks for the replies!
    I do want the option of throwing money into the wind. When the sun don't shine, the wind do blow....
    Midnight Solar looks to be a good unit....
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

I've been looking at panels and charge controllers and sizing such-
    Based on the advice from this forum, I'm thinking the Midnight Classic Lite 200 or 150 are the right units. My budget allows me to buy 6 Kyocera 315W panels. I don't really understand the sizing chart Midnight put out- http://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/index.php
    Depending on how I tie the panels together, I can use either the 200 or both the 150 and 200. I'm hoping to be able to add more panels in the near future and wonder which controller will allow that without having to add another controller.

Based on my calculations (not a good math student) I am in the marginal area for charging my system with this configuration. It looks like I get the best amps from running 3 strings of 2 panels.

As always your help is greatly appreciated!
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

One of the issues is how great the distance is between your array and charge controller. The longer the wire needs to be, the more sense it makes to increase the array Voltage.
    The KD315's have a Voc of 49.2. Three in series would "max out" a Classic 150's input Voltage, and under cold conditions could exceed it causing the hyperVoc function to become very necessary. In fact up here such a configuration could hit 192 Volts, meaning it would only be feasible on a 48 Volt system (HyperVoc allows maximum input Voltage + system Voltage without damage to the controller).
    So you could run three parallel strings of two in series on a Classic 150: Vmp 79.6, Voc 98.4, Imp 23.76, Isc 25.5
    Or you could run two parallel strings of three in series on a Classic 200: Vmp 119.4, Voc 147.6, Imp 15.84, Isc 17

The first configuration is most efficient for the controller (array Vmp closer to system Voltage), the second would allow for fairly long wire run between array and controller without extremely large wires.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well the Midnite classic should be the most compatible because Midnite and Magnum are only about 15 miles away from each other and both units are built in the Pacific Northwest and not China or India.
    :D
  • unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Options
    boB wrote: »
    Well the Midnite classic should be the most compatible because Midnite and Magnum are only about 15 miles away from each other and both units are built in the Pacific Northwest and not China or India.
    :D

want to see if they will meet one day to eat at halfway of their offices, and may be occurs the final fusion magnum-midnite, and born a new kind of hi-end elements well integrated into a solar paradigmatic, nearly perfect, solar power plant! ...;-)
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    unicornio wrote: »
    want to see if they will meet one day to eat at halfway of their offices, and may be occurs the final fusion magnum-midnite, and born a new kind of hi-end elements well integrated into a solar paradigmatic, nearly perfect, solar power plant! ...;-)

Yes ! A new compound called "Mag-Nite" !!!
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

That's good. Much better than Midnite-Magnum, which might be confused with a particular product made by Trojan (no not the battery company....):p
  • unicornio
    Options

hey, this is very serious! ... thought you already had thinking the name and everything!...lol
    MGNT in wall street!... ;-)
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

Cariboocoot-
    My wire length will be in the 60' range.

Mag-Nite sounds like an explosive combination.....
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Once upon a time there were three brothers. Their names were ... No, that's the wrong story. :p

With 60 feet between array and charge controller it looks to me like the three parallel strings of two in series on the Classic 150 would work fine, using 10 AWG wire. You might want to have someone double check that first, as mathematical errors are easy to make.

Magnite is a robot in the computer game series "The Legend of Zelda". :D
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Magnite is a robot in the computer game series "The Legend of Zelda". :D

And would the Classic-Lite become the "MagLite"? Oh, that's taken? Too bad.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    And would the Classic-Lite become the "MagLite"? Oh, that's taken? Too bad.

it could be a magnalite.:D
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With 60 feet between array and charge controller it looks to me like the three parallel strings of two in series on the Classic 150 would work fine, using 10 AWG wire. You might want to have someone double check that first, as mathematical errors are easy to make.

Three strings of two panels, through 60 ft of 10 AWG cable will have a voltage drop of 3.64% and 68.7 watts of power will be dissipated in the cable. Note: these numbers are at full rated output which is rarely achieved. The losses at lower power levels are less.

I recommend that you use 8 AWG or 6 AWG cable. Your losses (at full power) with 8 AWG will be 2.3% voltage drop and 43.2 watts lost in the cable. With 6 AWG the voltage drop is 1.44% and the power loss is 27.2 watts.

Another way to reduce cable loss is to operate at a higher voltage (2 strings of 3 panels). Don't do it! Sure you can reduce your cable loss, but it will increase the loss in your charge controller. You trade 'more heat produced in your cable' for 'more heat produced in your controller'.

Try reading this: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?15907

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • unicornio
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Another way to reduce cable loss is to operate at a higher voltage (2 strings of 3 panels). Don't do it! Sure you can reduce your cable loss, but it will increase the loss in your charge controller. You trade 'more heat produced in your cable' for 'more heat produced in your controller'

I'm sorry but I can not agree with this,... a higher voltage is not to lower the eficiency on the charge controller, and of course, for higher voltage does not have to translate into more heat, but more power power to the battery ... on the basis of which it is a good charge controller MPPT with good conversion system DC/DC with a figure nearly 95/99% of eficiency...

I believe in the mantra: up voltage, down amperes...and everything will be much better in life!...;-)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

vtMaps is technically correct: the greater the difference between array Voltage and system (battery) Voltage the less efficiently the charge controller will operate.

However, it is not some enormous figure like "20%" (it's more like 3% difference) and it will not generate tremendous amounts of heat resulting in premature failure of the controller. Likewise the heat generated in wiring losses isn't going to fry them either. You have to be pretty far off the mark to create that kind of trouble.

The trick is to balance the power loss in wiring against the power loss from reduced controller efficiency and see which way ends up being the least. And that is all for the sake of reducing wire size (and thus cost) for performance at maximum power output. That 3% loss in wire we aim to get below is not some rigid absolute dictum carved in stone that must not be violated under any circumstances.

It's not like either configuration is going to be the difference between "this works" and "this doesn't work". We're talking about a few percent power loss. If you're designing a system where that much is critical to operation you're doing it entirely wrong.

So for this application the only change to my recommendation in post #13 would be upping to 8 AWG as per vtMaps's suggestion, providing it's not prohibitively expensive to do so.
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

Great info, Thanks!

What do you all think of Canadian Solar CS6P-230P Solar Panels? At about $1.00 a watt they are tempting. I ran the sizing program for the midnight solar and the classic lite 150 still works. I ran the array as 1 string of 10 panels and it brings the charging voltage closer to the battery voltage. I'm wondering what wire size I would need to keep the line loss in the >3% range. If I am reading this right, I also bring the charging amp into the 10% of battery amp hours.

Thanks again for all the help!

edited to add-
    What is the functionality difference between the classic and classic lite?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Nothing wrong with Canadian Solar panels. I think that model has a Vmp of about 30 and a current around 8. The Voc would be 37-ish, so if you put ten in series you'd have 370 Volts and it would definitely not work. Furthermore the Vmp would be 300 Volts and pretty far away from any system Voltage. How did you enter the numbers?

Ten of them would be 2300 Watts and on a 24 Volt system would provide about 74 Amps peak charging current.

The main difference between the Classic and Classic Lite is that the latter has LED's to indicate status rather than an LCD readout. The readout, however, can be added later if you wish.
  • unicornio
    Options
    vtMaps is technically correct: the greater the difference between array Voltage and system (battery) Voltage the less efficiently the charge controller will operate..

in my experience the loss of efficiency in the DC/DC conversion for a higher voltage is less than the losses that occur in cables with the higher amperage ... indeed a breakthrough of the MPPT is (besides the own MPPT) to work with such a high voltage to the input by the reduced losses in the wiring ...i mean that wires loses are *really* loses, while the conversion losses are only "side effects" of the system used, that are very eficient (above 90%) even with the own loses...

now I have two FM60's , one with 90 and another with 120 VOC, and both being extracted (more or less) the same performance of the panels, (both arrays are kyoceras) but the array that have eventually more voltage begins to charge before when dawn and draws more power from the array in situations of partly cloudy sky ...

my opinion on this topic is to connect the array so that the VOC exceeds 120V ...

but maybe it's just my opinion ...
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

No, it's not just your opinion. Here's why:

We use the panel Vmp & Imp ratings to determine maximum power into the charge controller. But that only works in theory because an MPPT controller will 'load' the array according to what it thinks will give the best output to the batteries for the SOC at the moment. It may in fact never pick Vmp * Imp even if it is available, instead opting for a higher Voltage (above the rated Vmp) and lower current (below the rated Imp). I have seen this many times with my own system. In fact I've seen the MX60 output more than the array's 700 Watt rating without reaching Imp on the panels; cold weather = high Voltage. :D

But it is always best to plan for "worst case scenario" or maximum strain on components/wiring. In fact the NEC requires it for anything deemed to be in "constant use" (thus the derating of some devices and conservative current numbers for wires, et cetera). One should not count on the system behaving in that way.

When we're working with initial design we're working with the theoretical. The practical is another matter.
  • unicornio
    Options

okay!...we can speak the same!...;-)
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

Cariboocoot-
    It was a dislexic moment... series of 1 with a total of 10 panels in parrallel. It looks like I will need to use #2 AWG, Am I right? for a >3% line loss. It seems to me that 10 panels @230W 29.6VMP and the Midnight Solar 150 Classic Lite is a decent system given my budget and battery bank. Am I in the ball park or still way out in left field?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wer you able to find panels that allow you to have a series string of 2 to get Vmp =~ 65 volts allowing for lower line loss and using the MPPT function of the Classic 150?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Fe-Wood wrote: »
    Cariboocoot-
    It was a dislexic moment... series of 1 with a total of 10 panels in parrallel. It looks like I will need to use #2 AWG, Am I right? for a >3% line loss. It seems to me that 10 panels @230W 29.6VMP and the Midnight Solar 150 Classic Lite is a decent system given my budget and battery bank. Am I in the ball park or still way out in left field?

Now you're off in the opposite direction! :D

Panels of Vmp 29.6 in parallel aren't going to charge a 24 Volt system; the Voltage is too low. A bit of wire loss, some heat, and soon you haven't got 28.8 Volts for the Absorb stage, much less 30 Volts for Equalization. In general a 24 Volt system needs Vmp of around 35 to work properly.

If you put two in series you get Vmp 59.2. The current from five parallel sets of these would be about 39 Amps. At that rate you'd be using 6 AWG. Better than 2 AWG, but still pretty big.

Note: one of the rules-of-thumb is that nominal array Voltage should be about 2X nominal system Voltage, so for a 24 Volt system you try for around 48 Volts in the array. Not written in stone, just one of the ways to get enough Voltage for charging.
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

Hi all,
    Still figuring this out-
    Here is what I'm looking at. Am I sizing this right?
    Charge controller= Midnight Solar Classic Lite 150
    60' foot run using #6AWG Copper wire shows 2.4% line loss.

PV specs from Midnight's sizing calculator-

PV Array 230watt
    Number Of Modules In Series: 2
    Number Of Parallel Strings: 5
    Total Modules 10
    Rated PV Array Power: 2300Watts
    Anticipated Array Power @ 110F: 2119Watts
    Rated PV Array Current: 38.9 Amps
    Battery Charging Current @ 28.8 V: 79.9 Amps
    VMP (Maximum Power Point Voltage) : 59.2 Volts
    VOC (Open Circuit Voltage): 73.6 Volts
    VMP @ 20 F°: 67.2 Volts
    VOC @ 20 F°: 81.6 Volts

If I am understanding this correctly, based on my battery bank, I have the 10% rate of charge and the 2x volts mentioned earlier.

Have I found the middle?:D
  • vtmaps
    Options
    60' foot run using #6AWG Copper wire shows 2.4% line loss.

I see a 3.19% voltage drop. My calculator uses a value of 0.4031 ohms per 1000 ft. What calculator are you using? Otherwise the system is looking pretty good. What batteries are you planning to use?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options

OP, are you committed to 10 panels? I'm asking because earlier in the thread you had a smaller number, and 10 (a factor of 5) is tougher to work with than 8 or 12 (factor of 4). Series strings of 4 of those CS 230 panels would work nicely with a Classical Lite 200 (same cost as the 150), and likely make it easier to upgrade later, as well as letting you get away with much thinner wire.

If it has to be 10, then I personally would probably go with two strings of 5 and a Classic 200 (assuming it's not really cold where you live). I know vtmaps will disagree with me here :D . But I have two separate Classic 200s running strings with higher voltages and it has worked out fine; thin wire, fewer fuses to buy, etc. Maybe I'm losing a little efficiency, but as Cariboocoot said it's not that large and, FWIW, I've seen above STC output on my strings a few (rare) times even so. So it can't be that bad.
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

I'm using a calculator I found on the internet- Here is a link; http://www.securitypower.com/WireLossCalculator.html
    it uses 0.3951 Ohms Per 1000'

My batteries are crown CR395 Batteries 790 Amp Hr @ 24VDC.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    I'm using a calculator I found on the internet-
    it uses 0.3951 Ohms Per 1000'

OK, using your value (120 ft) x (0.395 ohms) ÷ 1000 ft = 0.0474 ohms

(38.9 amps) x (0.0474 ohms) = 1.844 voltage drop

(1.844 volts) ÷ (59.2 volts) = 3.12% voltage drop

--vtMaps