Who makes the most compatable PV charge controller for a Magnum Energy Inverter?

Options
2»

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Who makes the most compatable PV charge controller for a Magnum Energy Inverter?
    Eric L wrote: »
    If it has to be 10, then I personally would probably go with two strings of 5 and a Classic 200 (assuming it's not really cold where you live). I know vtmaps will disagree with me here :D .

Maybe. As far as I know Midnite has not published their efficiency curves. The recommendations I make are based on the Outback curves. They may or may not be similar to Midnite's curves. From what I can glean over at Midnite's forum, the Midnite curves are not too dissimilar to Outback's efficiency curves, and the Midnite folks recommend that for best efficiency and coolest running controller, the Vmp should not be too much more than twice the nominal battery voltage.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Fe-Wood
    Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Who makes the most compatable PV charge controller for a Magnum Energy Inverter?

Eric-
    To my inexperienced knowledge and with the battery bank I have, This configuration seems to be balanced OK and only pushing the boundary of my budget a little. I understand your point about odd numbers. When I do an upgrade, either way, I'll need to add another charge controller. As long as my understanding is correct, I should be able to run this system until my batteries fail. It would then be a good time to upgrade the whole pv system provided I need the extra power.
  • Fe-Wood
    Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    OK, using your value (120 ft) x (0.395 ohms) ÷ 1000 ft = 0.0474 ohms

(38.9 amps) x (0.0474 ohms) = 1.844 voltage drop

(1.844 volts) ÷ (59.2 volts) = 3.12% voltage drop

--vtMaps

Does this fall within the guidelines or would it be worth the added expense of bigger wire?

Thanks for all the help!
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Fe-Wood wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Still figuring this out-
    Here is what I'm looking at. Am I sizing this right?
    Charge controller= Midnight Solar Classic Lite 150
    60' foot run using #6AWG Copper wire shows 2.4% line loss.

PV specs from Midnight's sizing calculator-

PV Array 230watt
    Number Of Modules In Series: 2
    Number Of Parallel Strings: 5
    Total Modules 10
    Rated PV Array Power: 2300Watts
    Anticipated Array Power @ 110F: 2119Watts
    Rated PV Array Current: 38.9 Amps
    Battery Charging Current @ 28.8 V: 79.9 Amps
    VMP (Maximum Power Point Voltage) : 59.2 Volts
    VOC (Open Circuit Voltage): 73.6 Volts
    VMP @ 20 F°: 67.2 Volts
    VOC @ 20 F°: 81.6 Volts

If I am understanding this correctly, based on my battery bank, I have the 10% rate of charge and the 2x volts mentioned earlier.

Have I found the middle?:D

It's fine. It will work. You've only got 60' from array to controller so there's no reason to go with very high array Voltage and reduce the controller's efficiency (they all function about the same, btw).