90% of U.S Voters Want More Solar

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
On the eve of the Presidential Debate, the polls are in and America has spoken in an overwhelming and unified voice — they want more solar in the U.S. and they support government policies that will encourage development and expansion of solar energy in the United States. A national poll released today from SEIA by Hart Research Associates, an independent polling firm, shows continued overwhelming voter support for solar energy as well as for...

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=B2JIAQkT568:ay6xdgMfzbc:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=B2JIAQkT568:ay6xdgMfzbc:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
B2JIAQkT568

More...

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 90% of U.S Voters Want More Solar

The problem with polls is that the outcome depends on who and how you poll. People who would respond to such a question who probably be in favour of it, so the outcome becomes a foregone conclusion. People who are "anti solar" may not even respond if asked. It is doubtful that either group fully understands the issue, making it a political one instead of a scientific one. Another case of "tell me the results you want and I'll design the research to prove it." :roll:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Polls are probably close to useless in the US:

Only 9% of sampled households gave an answer to pollsters in 2012:
    It has become increasingly difficult to contact potential respondents and to persuade them to participate. The percentage of households in a sample that are successfully interviewed – the response rate – has fallen dramatically. At Pew Research, the response rate of a typical telephone survey was 36% in 1997 and is just 9% today.
    The general decline in response rates is evident across nearly all types of surveys, in the United States and abroad. At the same time, greater effort and expense are required to achieve even the diminished response rates of today. These challenges have led many to question whether surveys are still providing accurate and unbiased information.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

And how much money did we waste in recent years on this topic? Don't think the American public trusts the Govt. to spend more money on solar, or anything else. I don't care who's in office, they won't get it right!

That said, my OPINION is the Govt. did this backwards. Never give money directly to companies, "hoping" to get something back. Instead, offer a major discount on approved solar products, from an approved list of American based solar suppliers.

The American public would directly benefit from the program. Get a solar water heater for half price, as an example. The American companies would get greatly increased business. We'd all benefit with electric items coming off the grid.

Just put me in charge for a day, I can sort it all out. :cool:
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Polls are probably close to useless in the US:

Only 9% of sampled households gave an answer to pollsters in 2012:
    It has become increasingly difficult to contact potential respondents and to persuade them to participate. The percentage of households in a sample that are successfully interviewed – the response rate – has fallen dramatically. At Pew Research, the response rate of a typical telephone survey was 36% in 1997 and is just 9% today.
    The general decline in response rates is evident across nearly all types of surveys, in the United States and abroad. At the same time, greater effort and expense are required to achieve even the diminished response rates of today. These challenges have led many to question whether surveys are still providing accurate and unbiased information.
    -Bill

A recent survey asked the target audience what they thought was the greatest threat to our way of life, ignorance or apathy.
    The overwhelming response: "I don't know and I don't care."
    :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    ... Instead, offer a major discount on approved solar products, from an approved list of American based solar suppliers....

You must have setup the 30% tax credit for UL rated panels and solar systems on the year they are installed.

Glad you were incharge that day!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Careful folks,,,, don't want to get to far into the politics, or some of us might stroke out!

Tiny
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    You must have setup the 30% tax credit for UL rated panels and solar systems on the year they are installed.

Glad you were incharge that day!

That's not what I'm saying. Here's part of the problem with credits and rebates: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-solar-funding-0519-20100514,0,4753009.story

What I'm saying is to avoid the very high up front cost. If you buy from the approved list, you pay a small portion of the bill, the program would pay directly to the company the remainder.

A number of people in FL were burned on rebates, so we tend to be a little cautious about laying out a large sum of cash, and hoping the rebate comes through.
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

83% of all statistics are made up.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Dill wrote: »
    83% of all statistics are made up.

I am sorry--But that statistic is made up. The real number is:

73.6% Of All Statistics Are Made Up

Or as Mark Twain popularized the quote most attributed to the Prime Minister of Great Britain, Benjamin Disraeli, “there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.” The quote is meant to highlight the deceiving but persuasive power of numbers.

err...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

If you haven't heard a good rumour by 10 AM better get to work and make one up8), just like stats 9 times out of 10 with a 93% accuracy for 5 percent of the population....;);)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

One of my favorites is claiming that thus and so is now favored by a 2 to 1 margin where before it was an even split. In a sample size of six, one person changed their mind.

Oh, and have you seen that commercial for 5 Hour Energy where the woman standing proudly by the 3 foot stack of paper proclaims that their survey of 3000 doctors endorses their product? If you listen to what she is really saying, it's meaningless. Some large percentage of doctors recommend a low calorie energy drink for those people who take energy drinks.

Or to quote Ralph Spoilsport of Spoilsport Motors: "Every one of our cars comes fully equipped with factory air conditioned air from our fully equipped factory air conditioned factory." If you recognize that, you're an old frint like me. ;^)
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    Or to quote Ralph Spoilsport of Spoilsport Motors: "Every one of our cars comes fully equipped with factory air conditioned air from our fully equipped factory air conditioned factory." If you recognize that, you're an old frint like me. ;^)

"...here in the city of Emphysema!" I believe it is actually "...from our fully factory equipped, air conditioned factory."

--old frint
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.