televisions

Options
petertearai
petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
Looking to buy a new tv. Want 32 inch. Led lcd? What is best.What to look for ? Any sugestions.
2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 

Comments

• The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: televisions

What is best? I find TV's to be a commodity these days. All pretty much equal. So go for best price, longest warranty and of course, lowest power consumption with highest resolution :)
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Looking to buy a new tv. Want 32 inch. Led lcd? What is best.What to look for ? Any sugestions.
    Why are you asking this in a solar power forum?
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think he is looking for power related answers. My guess anyway :)
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

LED TV use about half the power of LCD or Plasma. And to my eyes LED gives both better colour and sharpness.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only down side I have noticed on most of the LED back lite LCD TV's is their viewing angle (side to side) is a bit reduced.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've switched to LED, find good power consumption. If you walk by a store display lineup of TV's, you can rather easily pick out the plasma units by the warmth you feel on you're face. At least it was that way a year ago. They'd be good to use in Winter, if you heated you're home with electricity. Maybe they've changed in the last year, but they had a long way to go, and in the meantime all the others have been getting better too.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

LED = LIGHT EMITTING DIODE
    LCD = LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY

You cant have a LED ,LCD
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your reply's, Have found out that the led tvs refer to the back light. Yes they all seem to still be lcd.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your reply's, Have found out that the led tvs refer to the back light. Yes they all seem to still be lcd.
    True. The difference is that "LCD" TV's use a type of cold cathode fluorescent light source, while the "LED" TV's obviously use LED's as the light source. In both cases, the light source illuminates the back of the LCD screen. Many "LED" TVs keep the LEDs, fully lit at all times, and the LEDs are located only around the edge of the screen, and the LCD display is left to block light for the dark parts of the picture. Some of the higher-end TVs have LEDs covering the whole of the back of the display, and activally turn off the LEDs behind whichever areas of the picture which are to be displayed as black, thus giving better contrast.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

Recently bought an LED TV for the kitchen. Smaller 20" model. Amazingly lightweight, but I haven't measured the power consumption. My old CRT 20" TV consumed 39 Watts, so I'll have something to compare it to.

The 32" LCD TV in the bedroom is made by Sony. Bought it a few years back. It draws 123 Watts. By comparison, the 32" CRT TV it replaced only used 112 Watts. So while the LCD is a fraction of the weight and depth, it's not exactly more efficient.

Short of bringing a Kill-A-Watt meter to the store, or taking the time to look up the owners manual online, you likely won't find the power consumption details at the store. FWIW, both of my Sony TVs have the rated power consumption in the manuals, and the measured numbers are VERY close.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My local tv seller hates to see me come through the door with my K-a-Watt as he knows I want to test each model I am interested in, trying to find one that complements our new house...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

<snark on>

Ah yes;, but then they can tell the next "exacting person" what the power consumption is of their products. Don't you think they'd like to have that information at their fingertips?

<snark off>
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options

I've found that if I dim my screen way down (I usually sit in the dark anyway) that the power goes way way down on my 40" LCD. I'll give it another shot on the K-A-W but to test you'd want all the setting set at defaults. I know some retailers set their screens towards the high end on the brightness to make them appear better but reducing life.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    <snark on>

Ah yes;, but then they can tell the next "exacting person" what the power consumption is of their products. Don't you think they'd like to have that information at their fingertips?

<snark off>

It could make it tough to sell the ones that suck up the Watts for nothing. Especially if they cost more. :D
    Salesmen have one rule: there's nothing but good about any product they sell.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've found that if I dim my screen way down (I usually sit in the dark anyway) that the power goes way way down on my 40" LCD. I'll give it another shot on the K-A-W but to test you'd want all the setting set at defaults. I know some retailers set their screens towards the high end on the brightness to make them appear better but reducing life.

Most (large anyway) TVs these days have a Retail mode and a Consumer mode. If you don't switch it over to Consumer mode on a floor model or get the wrong mode when installing it out of the box, the default settings will be much brighter and with overly brilliant colors.
    For reducing power consumption, some LCD TVs have a specific setting for Backlight Brightness or Backlight Control. If they do, this is the one which will reduce power consumption drastically, as well as increase the life of the TV. For sets with this menu option, just changing the brightness or contrast will not have a big (if any) effect on power.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    Most (large anyway) TVs these days have a Retail mode and a Consumer mode. If you don't switch it over to Consumer mode on a floor model or get the wrong mode when installing it out of the box, the default settings will be much brighter and with overly brilliant colors.
    For reducing power consumption, some LCD TVs have a specific setting for Backlight Brightness or Backlight Control. If they do, this is the one which will reduce power consumption drastically, as well as increase the life of the TV. For sets with this menu option, just changing the brightness or contrast will not have a big (if any) effect on power.

Yeah, I use the "ECO" settings, preferably "Eco High" (dimmest)

ECO High - 31W
    ECO Low - 46W
    ECO Off - 54W
    Screen Off - 16W

Sony KDL-40EX400

Happy Shopping!
  • Utana
    Utana Solar Expert Posts: 32
    Options

We had been using our ancient 24-inch analog TV last year (with the digital converter), and had long needed to buy a real digital TV. When researching we decided we would really like to have a large screen TV and started looking into prices. After researching we ultimately went a totally different route and purchased an LED projector. Its rated at 500 lumens, and cost about $500. It was way cheaper than any big screen TV and because it is LED the energy usage was quite reasonable (less than 60 watts in eco mode, about 90 watts in regular mode). Only 1 watt in standby mode. Not bad for a 7-foot screen and 720p quality. We now have our TV turner, DVD player, and an internet streaming device hooked right up to the projector and watch TV "movie style" every night. Complete with popcorn.

Kelly
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

Nice, I was interested in an LED projector when I got my last one but the prices were still too high. I now have a 1080p projector, but it's the standard bulb. Still, 200W max for a 12 foot screen on the wall! :D I normally run it in "eco", which drops it marginally - maybe 150W or so. Of course that's only the video side, have to add it whatever you use for sound and other bits. I use a Mac Mini w/ USB TV tuner for TV or streaming movies, only 15-20W, but the oldie-but-goodie stereo is about 40W idle - ouch.

I've had a projector for about 6-7 years now, wouldn't go back to a standalone TV. Of course I don't watch much TV anyway, only when I want the "movie theater" experience without the sticky floors and noisy guests... ;)
  • tonystewart
    tonystewart Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Options

We have 2 Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas that will be a year old in July, we notice a small increase in the electric bill, they each use 373 watts and will cost an average of $72 per year per unit. The picture is beautiful. With the Directv receivers HR24-500 with 2 TB Seagate Hard Drives it raised the electric bill as well
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RandomJoe wrote: »
    Nice, I was interested in an LED projector when I got my last one but the prices were still too high. I now have a 1080p projector, but it's the standard bulb. Still, 200W max for a 12 foot screen on the wall! :D I normally run it in "eco", which drops it marginally - maybe 150W or so. Of course that's only the video side, have to add it whatever you use for sound and other bits. I use a Mac Mini w/ USB TV tuner for TV or streaming movies, only 15-20W, but the oldie-but-goodie stereo is about 40W idle - ouch.

I've had a projector for about 6-7 years now, wouldn't go back to a standalone TV. Of course I don't watch much TV anyway, only when I want the "movie theater" experience without the sticky floors and noisy guests... ;)

What do you use for a projecting surface? This is something I'd like to do in my next house when I can wire everything needed into the ceiling during the build. And, how far from the wall does it have to be to project a 60 inch or so picture?
  • Utana
    Options
    Telco wrote: »
    What do you use for a projecting surface? This is something I'd like to do in my next house when I can wire everything needed into the ceiling during the build. And, how far from the wall does it have to be to project a 60 inch or so picture?

I'm not RandomJoe, but we opted against an expensive screen and for about $20 bought a smooth piece of wall panel from out local home improvement store. I found a web site where they compared some of the most expensive movie screens to different types of paints to see which was the best paint to use for a diy screen, and bought the paint they recommended. Its not the flat paint, and not super shiny. They compared Home Depot paints to Sherwin Williams and a couple of other popular paints. The Sherwin Williams won, but I forget the exact type (egg shell or semi-gloss maybe). The paint was more expensive than the wall panel, but painting it on with one of those smooth sponge rollers the projection looks awesome.

I haven't tried this myself, but I've heard the projection image is improved also by putting a non-reflective black boarder around the screen.

Kelly
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Never done a projection TV install, but from using a lot of paint I would guess semi-gloss white would work best on a smooth surface like Masonite (hardboard/HDF).
    The black around the edge won't actually improve the picture per se, but it will improve the appearance to your eye by defining the frame area.

An inexpensive thing to try before shelling out the big bucks for a fancy screen (I remember slide projector screens from the old days of transparencies - silver vs. glass bead).
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

marc,
    i'm not so sure semi-gloss is the best answer as the gloss may make it glare. maybe a good flat white.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Niel;

That was my point about the projector screens of old (only my brain shut down before I made it clear). Some felt the silvered ones were better because they wouldn't glare. Personally I preferred the glass beads which were high gloss. Never had a problem with glare. The silvered screens seamed dull by comparison.
  • Utana
    Options

Okay, I went ahead and googled for the article I read, and here it is:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

Looks like satin is the best paint texture for a screen.

Kelly
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Excellent thanks! So the plan is to build the house, and mount a camera outside where the screen will be. When we aren't watching TV, the projector will put the outside picture there like it's an outside window. Nice.

No, not really, that would be a waste of power. Just a nice thought. I figure by the time our next house is up our year old flatscreen will be dying, so this will be a nice thing to do. From the sound of things it'll also be the low cost option, power-wise.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Telco wrote: »
    Excellent thanks! So the plan is to build the house, and mount a camera outside where the screen will be. When we aren't watching TV, the projector will put the outside picture there like it's an outside window. Nice.

No, not really, that would be a waste of power. Just a nice thought. I figure by the time our next house is up our year old flatscreen will be dying, so this will be a nice thing to do. From the sound of things it'll also be the low cost option, power-wise.

That makes sense. After all, windows pass thermal energy and lose a lot more power than a solid wall so running the TV set up will probably use less energy over-all than sending all the heating/cooling through a big picture window. :p
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

hmm. that would be neat to play with putting different things on the outside wall. santa claus, naked iguannas, a cop with a gun, or if you want to mess with the cops-a burglar crawling out the window.:cool::p
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

we just purchased a 19 inch Toshiba LED TV with built-in DVD player for the cabin.

Forgot the K-A-Watt but it is a real light sipper n the power. the 20W halogen pulled more W than the TV before we shut the lights off... Will confirm next visit.

While the sales rep was digging out a boxed unit, the tech and I talked and his opinion was that up to 32 inch Toshiba had the best colour rendition and above 32 it shifted to Sony. just word of mouth opinion.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada