Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Intereesting solar calculator

kind of generic.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

That is fantastic. I wonder how accurate it is.
    Scary thing , put in find my location and it got it within about 10 meters!!!!
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

it just uses google maps to find your place, not that accurate in my case,
    Also the solar arcs are seemingly arbitrary and do not represent the suns angle in the sky. Seems like you just have to guestimate that.

I do like how it shows the different sunrise and sunset spots throughout the year. That is usefull.

But everything inbetween is a guesstimate. leave a coment on the web site to encourage the software writter. to do this.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

actually, it would have been nice to give the actual angles too and not just the time of day for a line. no elevation plots listed either as the azimuth is only 1 part of it.

it never found my location, but being as a google type map you can drag it to your location.
  • petertearai

I don't understand what mechanism it uses to find my location as I did not enter my address.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    I don't understand what mechanism it uses to find my location as I did not enter my address.

It finds it out based on your IP address. Same way the moderators of this forum know which country you're in ;)

Eg.: http://www.ip2location.com/
  • petertearai

But within 10 meters? My IP is not fixed as if my adsl router is turned off it will, ( I think ) pick a different IP....
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    But within 10 meters? My IP is not fixed as if my adsl router is turned off it will, ( I think ) pick a different IP....

Within 10 meters is what I would expect for a GPS enabled phone used as the data link, with permissions for Apps to access that information.

In your case, however, if your telco makes some subscriber information available as header information to the web server when you connect from home, the associated phone number of the ADSL line may come out, not just the IP. And that in turn ties to your home address via a reverse directory.

Privacy? What's that? :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • petertearai

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense,Technology is a marvelous thing!
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

Accurate sunrise/sunset angles for my place.. gives me a good reminder when the house will shadow less on sunrise,sunset. Thnx.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

Be sure to check out the satellite view. In some cases you can actually see whether a particular tree or building will shade an array at a given time of year.

If you are looking for azmuth angles for different times of day throughout the year check this out:
    http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php
    It uses sampled data from various sites so you may not be able to get your actual site but you can find a nearby site with a similar latitude.

The two tools together can provide a lot of info witout even setting foot on some sites.

Aren't computers great? With the combination of these tools, Wiki and Google Earth you could probably figgure out at what time on the spring equanox will the sun sit on the point of the Washington monument as seen from the Lincoln memorial.

Get your Geek on!

-Alex