Deka 8 L16 input wanted. 24 V alternators

solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
It is that time again, battery replacement, and I am not looking forward to it. Off grid living is for the young, or wealthy:D. And we all know it is not considered green, but I can live where I want to, so just call me selfish.:roll:

I Have looked around the net, and do not see much detailed talk on this battery, did see one fellow talking about replacing his "15" YO Trojan L16 with dekas. How in the world do you get 15 years out of any L16, I am, running on half dead 11 YO rolls right now, and I thought that was a good run. I digress

OK, well I am stuck with Deka's, my wholesaler, has dropped Trojan, and back then I did not get a good run out of the Trojans anyway.

So you ask yourself, why is he posting, if Deka is the only local answer? Well as always there is someone out there with a bit of info we can all find useful.
My guy says the Deka is comparable to the Trojan L16 H,G and P. I wonder if he was looking at a cross refrence chart? The head man was not in that day. I can get the Deka for less than $235/245.

Another question. Are there any unregulated 24v automotive alternators available? I am tempted to build, or rebuild the old, or another, alternator battery charger rig like I had in 1983. That was the cheapest power source I have ever had, but reliabilty was an issue, though it churned out mega amps for a year or so.

Thanks ahead time folks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Deka 8 L16 input wanted. 24 V alternators

Deka is the same as East Penn. Perfectly good brand in my opinion, but then I've never had trouble with Trojans either. Not so keen on Rolls-Surrette.

You do realize that battery life is highly dependent on things like depth of discharge and how soon/well it gets recharged? So you might get fifteen years out of some L16's at 15% DOD and someone else might draw them down 30% and only get eight years.

"Comparable" in "sales speak" means same Voltage, similar Amp hours - nothing more. :roll:

In theory, if you knew an application that used an externally regulated 24 Volt alternator you could buy one through a parts supply (think industrial) although you'd probably have to "eat" the core charge. A good small engine costs a lot of money these days too (as opposed to the throw-away lawnmower type).
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think military trucks are still typically 24 volt, perhaps some semi's as well. Most alternators I've seen recently have the Voltage regulator built in, If you search Ebay or Wind oriented sites, you'll likely find alternators for wind chargers, I didn't see any at NAWS currently.

Ever consider a forklift battery? Like to see what all the experience we as a group will have 20 years out!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solorone

Yes a Honda would be the only option, I had a good 16 HP motor on the old one http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?5850-True-alternator-energy&p=38281#post38281
    A motor and alternators might bring me back to the cost of a good genset. The one I had, above, cost me 250$ and labor, the hand crank could be unpleasant.
  • solorone

Yes I realize that I guess if you have a large array, and balanced well, you could stay in the upper 15%, I can only dream of that in my current state of disrepair and age of gear..
  • solorone

Hum, never gave any thought to a wind unit. Fork lift battery, unless it comes apart, like Rolls, would be too bulky to handle, I am built on the north side of a hill in a forest,, for cooling, cant get a machine up to the house.

As for the alternator, it would be good to have another source of charging, one that did not require an inverter.
  • solorone

I found this today, just stumbled across it, a rating on golf cart batteries, Deka is out shinning them all. I have posted this elsewhere, but just wondering how accurate this might be. Any thoughts on this?? I have no plan to go the golf cart route again, as those, like many here, were my first batteries, all that money would allow.
    http://www.solarray.com/TechGuides/Batteries_T.php
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

A couple alternator links:
    crewzer wrote: »
    It might be worth researching the Ample Power website (www.amplepower.com). David Smead and Ruth Ishihara seem to have established a loyal following for their marine battery charging and power management equipment. Additionally, Balmar (www.balmar.net) manufacturers high-current alternators as well as useful looking marine charging equipment.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • squarebob
    squarebob Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭✭

I have this 24v alternator and a Balmar external regulator. The alt is being spun by a diesel engine. Low fuel cost and lots of amps. The Balmar regulator lets you adjust the output to match the engine and/or battery bank and is the "cats meow" of regulators. Their alts seem a bit overpriced to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufactured-Dynathrust-Alternator-24V-150-Amp-Part-110-576-/290713256241?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43afdc4131&vxp=mtr
  • solorone
    BB. wrote: »
    A couple alternator links:

-Bill

Thanks, I will have a look at these.
  • solorone

I much appreciate the input, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. :<)
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    solorone wrote: »
    I found this today, just stumbled across it, a rating on golf cart batteries, Deka is out shinning them all. I have posted this elsewhere, but just wondering how accurate this might be. Any thoughts on this?? I have no plan to go the golf cart route again, as those, like many here, were my first batteries, all that money would allow.
    http://www.solarray.com/TechGuides/Batteries_T.php

That table about comparing battery types is where I would send anybody who says that forklift batteries are too expensive. I think forklifts would work out even cheaper than the HUP solar one's if measured over their entire life. Regarding your previous query about how they're shipped. Mine came already pre-wired and packed into their metal container and given their weight and lack of anything to hold onto I think they'd be a nightmare to get individual cells out of that container.

But if you speak to the batt supplier directly they can probably arrange to ship them to you as individual cells and you can pack them into the case and wire them up yourself. I've heard that they should really be kept in the metal case when they're being used because during charging/discharging the casing used on the cells can bulge a bit. Keeping them all packed together and supported by the metal case prevents this.