Going to the MidNite side... my 1st off-grid system plans are done..

Options
ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
I know I drove you folks crazy..

Originally (3 months ago) it was to be like 4 135 Kyocera panels (540 watts), Morningstar ProStar 30, and Xantrex Pro SW 2000

Well I bought 6 145w panels (870 watts), Morningstar TS-45 (PWM), and wires, breakers, & switches..

Then I debated with you folks aloud about 4 times on the MPPT vs. PWM..

Then I was fishing for input on 24v vs 12v inverters..

Then I was emailing poor Marc at Rogue with questions..

Then along comes the Midnite Solar announcement about the Lite.. Then I was comparing the TS60 MPPT to that and the Xantrex 60 MPPT and the Outback Flex 60 MPPT.. :confused::blush:

I sold the TS45 and meter yesterday, and in about 1 week I will be holding a Midnite Classic 150 (regular model)..

I asked Ryan for some pics and he sent them right over.. <<good people right there<<

I opted to go MPPT to get as much as I can year round since this will be a year round cabin for me very soon. I know in the summer I won't gain much.. but in the cooler times like fall and spring I will gain some numbers I think..

The panels will be done up like a 24v system.. 2 in series * 3 in parallel..

I will be going with a 12v 400-600ah battery bank to start with.. and my original planned Xantrex SW Prowatt 2000 inverter.. I ordered up the BlueSea 250 amp fuse and fuse mount for the battery.. and I have the 3/0 wire here..

When the inverter dies out I will upgrade to a 24v model of some flavor.. and flip a few switches and be at a 24v system..

Anyway.. thank you,,

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Going to the MidNite side... my 1st off-grid system plans are done..

Great news, Al,

IMHO, you cannot go wrong with MN products. The Classic has the most capability in its class. And, you've seen their very responsive Tech Support. Looks like a very good concept on your system. Have Fun with it, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

one thing is for sure, you won't have a need to change out to another controller no matter what you do to the rest of your system except barring having need of 2 classics if your system ever grows that big.:D
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ywhic wrote: »
    I sold the TS45 and meter yesterday, and in about 1 week I will be holding a Midnite Classic 150 (regular model)

I hope this means your getting some action on your web site, or have had other good news. This is a great controller and should give you future room to grow.
    I opted to go MPPT to get as much as I can year round since this will be a year round cabin for me very soon. I know in the summer I won't gain much.. but in the cooler times like fall and spring I will gain some numbers I think..

You will indeed, and a bit in the summer, just trying to maximize your usable watt per $ spent, The trick is the gain doesn't mean much if you don't use it, I'll largely waste 4KW of array 9 months out of the year, but have it when I need it... for me the summer. I like the Midnite classic, I purchased 2 of the 'lite' versions this week (most of my array require MPPT type CC)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Wxboy
    Wxboy Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Excellent choices Al.
  • ywhic
    Options

Thanks.. nope no sales.. just sold the TS45 and meter for $205 (after eb fees) and a friend paid me $125 to help with some stuff, and I'm tossing in $215 from my pocket.. got to wait for PP to credit me after the buyer gets it (sold TS45 & Meter thru eb).. should be ordering Monday and have by next Friday..

The inverter will be out of my next check in 2 weeks.. maybe I will see something either sell from my site or I'll go get a real job by then..

I got a 4 foot pair of 4 AWG wire coming in for the new Midnite so that will be set to hookup and try with some panels.. :)

It will be like 85-95 up here in NJ testing.. so numbers should be close to temp wise for TX testing, though I think the air will be clearer down their in no-wheres land.. be nice to SEE the 145 w panel in some real tests.. I will be taping and such..
  • ywhic
    Options

Well I got my BlueSea fuse/mount in.. got the 3/0 wire... got the BlueSea switch for the inverter..

071212update.jpg

I have a spare section of 3/0 wire with a 250 amp ANL fuse and holder on it as well.. (good for options on install day)

My 4 AWG wire should be in tommorrow/Saturday for the controller to the battery bank with 100 amp breaker..

Waiting to order the Classic 150.. I did notice my combiner box has a 1" knock-out on the lower right corner.. this will mate nicely to the Classic 150 knock-out as well.. be a nice and semi-clean install.. 8)

As you may be able to tell I am stoked..
  • Caneman
    Caneman Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

sounds good Al, I think you got it going in the right direction... :)
  • ywhic
    Options

Ordered the Classic 150 today.. very stoked.. working on a + and - battery board to go with the new setup..

24" of pure copper goodness on its way too.. (to be cut to 12" for each terminal strip side)..
  • ywhic
    Options

Heres the layout.. the Midnite will be affixed to the combiner box on the side.. this is a mock up..

4 AWG down to the custom bus board.. then 2 AWG down to the batteries from there.. 3/0 to the inverter..

SolarClassic1Reduced.jpg

The Midnite Classic series of MPPT rocks (IMHO).. it performed well today while out in the 102' heat we had in NJ today..

Heres a shot at 10:30 am and about 93' F outside.. I used 15' of my wire I plan on using in TX to simulate the real-deal..

This was with just 2 panels in series to make a 24 circuit.. going to a 12v battery bank.. I will have 3 sets of 2.. :cool:

Classic1025.jpg

630 watts (estimated) in 93' F heat sounds good to me..
  • ywhic
    Options

Got it all put together.. waiting to cut Plexi for the buss board..

FinalLayOut.jpg

That 1" pipe nipple does a nice job of tying things togther from combiner to controller..

Controller.jpg
  • ywhic
    Options

Just a few updates..

Heres the layout with the copper bussbar covered in 1/4" Plexi..

FinalSetupSmall.jpg

Facing directly South from my location in TX and with a fixed 26< panel angle I get great irradiance numbers thru-out the year..

panels26degree.jpg

I did end up ordering the Xantrex ProWatt SW 2000 Pure Sine Inverter for the initial run lastnight as well.. (and its shipped already)..
  • ywhic
    Options

The Xantrex Prowatt SW 2000 has arrived..

I think my 42" 3/0 wire is a little too long.. I'll be cutting that back on install day to about 1 foot..

The leads from the Classic to the battery bus bar will be cut back as well..

Pic2XantrexSmall.jpg

Testing from a 1 12v 1 amp adaptor..

XantrexWorking.jpg
  • ywhic
    Options

Today with playing around and a single 145w panel I got 115-116 watts for abit.. and 9.1 amps from it.. 80% 8)

I was getting like 95-100w in Solar Mode.. I then used the Legacy P&O mode (upon suggestion) and the PV Watts % was initially at 9% and I was getting 100w.. at 20% I was getting 110w.. I bumped it to 30% and got the 115-116w numbers..

If anyone has a definitive as to what that ADJUSTMENT truly does I put a post over on the Midnite Site asking..
  • ywhic
    Options

Just got in the 30 amp transfer switch.. moving along slowly but nicely..

I may shorten the wire up but I'll leave it 2 1/2' long for now.. I used a 5-20 Plug with one straight tab.

TransferSwInverter.jpg
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i wouldn't worry too much about shortening the wire as it is at 120v. only if it is too long to be neat otherwise there's no need to fuss.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options
    Just got in the 30 amp transfer switch.. moving along slowly but nicely..

I may shorten the wire up but I'll leave it 2 1/2' long for now.. I used a 5-20 Plug with one straight tab.

TransferSwInverter.jpg

Hello. Have you decided on your battery bank size yet?
  • ywhic
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    Hello. Have you decided on your battery bank size yet?

Somewhere between a 440-660ah bank.. still up in the air..

Either 4 6v 220ah batteries (440ah) or 6 of them (660ah)..

I'll be pumping between 42-60 amps into the bank from the panels.. and I have about 6-7 hours of sun (see MY irradiance chart above).. so I should get some good numbers..

I'm still 7-8 months away from the install date.. trying get my bank account upto like $10K before I head back out..

Next project is starting.. plumbing parts & fittings.. looking at PEX for that.. and a Shurflo pump in some 3GPH flavor with pressure switches and such..
  • ywhic
    Options

Now I debate if I grab 2 more panels (coming back in stock next week) and be at 8 panels and 1160 watts vs the 890 I got??
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options

Will the Classic 150 work with 8 of those panels at 12 volts? Once you go over about 800 watts, I think you are looking at a 24 volt configuration.
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Options

if it were me, I'd use the money towards other cabin stuff. You have a pretty nice system built out already, I'd want to see it in use before re-evaluating
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Battery Monitor (Victron another brand) would be on my wish list. :D

Getting a good handle on your loads/charging profiling would be a good idea and a good battery monitoring system will help--Plus it can notify you of potential issues (loss of charging, too much loads, etc.) that can take out your expensive battery bank (over/under charging, deficit charging, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ywhic
    Options
    mikeo wrote: »
    Will the Classic 150 work with 8 of those panels at 12 volts? Once you go over about 800 watts, I think you are looking at a 24 volt configuration.

I've been doubling them up into 24v.. I currently have the 6 done in 3 sets of 2.. the Midnite says upto 4 (sets) can be and = to 0.9 Classic and no overages.. like 32 amps in and upto 80 amps out with the MPPT flipping it down to 12v..

I'd be smokin' the battery bank and would have to kick it up to 700-800 ah vs the planned initial 440-600 ah though..
  • ywhic
    Options

Well I made space in my storage unit.. 2 more 145w panels on way to me.. be at 1160w of PV array. :cool: