How does this sound for Magnum inverter + accessories

Options
We're trying to complete our system and will be going with:

MS4448PAE Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger: http://www.solar-electric.com/maenms4444wa.html
White Steel With 250a/125 VDC Inverter Breaker: http://www.solar-electric.com/mne250stm-l-240.html
Magnum ME-ARC50 Advanced Remote Control for Magnum Inverters : http://www.solar-electric.com/mameadrecofo.html

The local company has quoted us the following:

Inverter: $1800.00
Display: $190.00
E-Panel: $620.00
Surge Arrestors: $180.00 ($90 x 2=$180.00)(You need three - but you already have one that we can use)
Breakers: $48.00
Shipping: $50.00 From the distributor to Arizona.
Approximate Total: $2,888.00

I understand I can save on individual parts online, but as a package, this is the best deal we've found.

We're right here in AZ and looking to buy local but NAWS is higher than the local guy or we would consider them.

Thoughts?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: How does this sound for Magnum inverter + accessories

My only question--I believe there are two different remote meters:

Magnum ME-ARC50 Advanced Remote
    Magnum ME-RC50 Remote Control

Make sure you get the one your need.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Chris Miller
    Chris Miller Solar Expert Posts: 49
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    My only question--I believe there are two different remote meters:

Magnum ME-ARC50 Advanced Remote
    Magnum ME-RC50 Remote Control

Make sure you get the one your need.

-Bill

This is based on the ARC50... I was told it was the latest generation, and the one I would need?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I don't know--I am not in the solar biz and mine is a Grid Tied system.

As I understand, the "Advanced" meter allows you to access more programing registers/options in the inverters/devices... (from that I have read).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is based on the ARC50... I was told it was the latest generation, and the one I would need?

From reading the Magnum specifications, the ARC50 is what you want with the MS4448PAE.

You may also find that a battery monitor kit (ME-BMK) would be useful. The Battery Monitor will provide info about amps going through the shunt and the battery state of charge on the ARC50 displays.

Keith
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options

Keith is right; I have all three (ARC-50, MS4448PAE, ME-BMK) and they make a nice package with good program-ability. To get the BMK to give accurate state of charge readings you have to spend some time adjusting the battery efficiency settings. But eventually it works pretty accurately (as I've confirmed by double-checking it with battery specific gravity readings).

One little cool thing if you get the BMK+ ARC-50; you can use it to infer the amount of power coming from the panels/charge controller(s) if you're using the ARC at a remote location where you don't have a charge controller readout. You basically look at the DC amps going in or out of the batteries, add the DC amps going to the inverter, and multiply that by the battery voltage (the ARC shows you all these things).