New Midnite Classic Lite announced

Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
Perhaps this post does not belong here, as I have no direct knowledge and connot review ..

See on the Midnite Forum, that a new variant of the Classic Charge Controller appears to have been announced -- the Classic Lite Here is a thread mentioning the product on the Midnite Forum:
http://midnitesolar.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=591.0

Perhaps Ryan or boB can add some light on it here.

Guess that it must have been announced at the Midwest RE Fair (??) ... guessing.

All that I know ... It appears to not have the Graphic Display, but can use one on a networked MN product that has one, uses Dip Switches, or can be customized from an App running on a computer via the Classic Lite's USB/Ethernet ports, from what I read. Believe that it has a lower price, about $150 less than the Classic with the MNGP.

Great going Midnite! Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Midnite Classic Lite announced

i saw that and it can allow one to buy a classic minus some display graphics and slightly more primitive programming (if you haven't another classic or mngp) for allot less $. it's perfect for multiple classic operations.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

sounds like it'll save me some $$ as I'll have 2 linked if I ever get my system2 up and running.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    niel wrote: »
    i saw that and it can allow one to buy a classic minus some display graphics and slightly more primitive programming (if you haven't another classic or mngp) for allot less $. it's perfect for multiple classic operations.

I wandered over to the Midnite forum, and it looks like it only lacks the convienence of the on panel programing, it can be programed from a free software app to most any configuration! (From what I read, old... faulty eyes...)

BY the way IT's here! IT'S HERE!!!! $500 WOW!

Bet they are sold out before all my outlay money comes back from work...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Have no fear we will be shipping in large quantity's starting Friday. This is going to be one powerful controller for the money no doubt about it. It lacks the graphical interface and Arc Fault. The Local App firmware is free and has everything needed to manipulate the controller for Solar and Hydro. Wind programming is almost done and data logging is a few days out. There are 2 full time engineers on the App itself so it will come together very quickly.

Ryan
  • Photowhit

Hey Ryan,

Any chance we'll have these in a master>Slave configuration? I'm going to have 2 and perhaps 3, just would rather they worked as one, my bank will be somewhat small compared to array.
  • Vic

Congrats HC and the Midnite Team!

Looks Great! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • halfcrazy

We are working hard on Parallel communications. As soon as this firmware release rolls out tomorrow that is all the engineers will be doing. boB will be locked in the bathroom until it is done :)
  • Photowhit

Do you have an address, I'll send him a pizza! PM me! seriously!

Here's the video link on programing the Classic Lite, thought I had posted it here as well as in Off Grid...
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    We are working hard on Parallel communications. As soon as this firmware release rolls out tomorrow that is all the engineers will be doing. boB will be locked in the bathroom until it is done :)

Hehe you would be better off locking him out of the bathroom till finished.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    It lacks the graphical interface and Arc Fault.

According to NAWS it does have Arc Fault, and it can be upgraded to a regular Classic by swapping out the LED display for the LCD display.
    Reference: http://www.solar-electric.com/misoclli150m.html

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

will HyperVOC be available in the Lite product?
  • Vic

To me, the Classic Lite is a Classic, MINUS the MNGP -- the Graphic Display Panel. In place of the MNGP is a different display with some LEDs and also has DIP switches to set the basic functions. The current version of the Classic Lite appears to be a 150 Volt model. My intrepretation of one of the neat features of the Lite is that all of its many parameters can be cloned from another Classic on a Network, in addition to being programmable via a computer.

So, all of the other great functions of the Classic are still there, including Hyper VOC. The quick start quide for the Lite is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31975941/Just%20the%20Facts.pdf

Vic
  • halfcrazy

The Lite will come in the 150, 200, 250 and 250KS. The dip switch portion only sets 12,24 and 48 volt battery but with the included software you can set it up to the 120 volt battery on the KS and 72 volt battery on the rest. The Lite Does not have Arc Fault (I will mention that to NAWS) and can have a MNGP (MidNite Graphics Panel) installed in place of or with th MNLP (MidNite LED Panel)

Hyper VOC still works just the same on the Lite.

Ryan
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

glad to read that HyperVOC is on the Lite product. I've been on the fence between the 150 and the 200. the string calculator indicates my 8 panels could work with the 150, with some occassional assistance of HyperVOC. Our winters around San Antonio only get below freezing a few times a year
  • Photowhit

$110 less than, the original, 5% discount, free shipping... I'll need them in 2-3 months... Got my reimbursement check...

I'm in for 2, too good to pass up, Thanks NAWS!!!
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭

I read on their Midnite forums today there were issues with the Classic 150's and shading dropping out with 12v battery banks.. anyone hear anything on those issues??? these were systems with 90+ volts going in and getting drops mid day (per se) with 100% sun going on..
  • Vic

Hi Al,

New FirmWare was released last week. This was a clean-up of a number of issues. I do NOT know about this particular one.

It is difficult for me to imagine a better charge controller in Largish end of the field that would be a better choice than a Classic. The team at Midnite has been doing Solar Electric stuff for decades, having been at Trace/Xantrex, founders of Outback Power and now MidNite.

The Midnite Classic has many useful functions simply not awailable in other CCs, and MidNite is actively supporting the user base with improvements and extensions of an already GREAT CC.

Know that you are on a budget ... I have wondered if the Classic might be displacing what is probably the second-best CC in this class -- the OutBack MX-60. You could possibly find an MX-60 for a couple hundred dollars that woriks fine, but has been replaced by a Classic. I have not looked. Some MXes are probably being kept as backups. If you look for an MX-60, try to find one with 5.11 FW (5.10 is prob OK too), as unfortunately, it is impossible to update the FW in the field, it would need a trip back to the factory. This inability to UD FW is also true of the OB FM series CCs.

IMHO, avoid the Schneider MPPT 150 60 CC -- it requires a $250+ do dad to Implant FW revs.

If you could afford the Classic, think that you would not be disappointed.
    Have not looked, you could ask about the Shading on 12 V systems of the MN Forum ... you prob have done so.

Good Luck, Vic
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    ywhic wrote: »
    I read on their Midnite forums today there were issues with the Classic 150's and shading dropping out with 12v battery banks.. anyone hear anything on those issues??? these were systems with 90+ volts going in and getting drops mid day (per se) with 100% sun going on..

I don't know about this issue (I will get over to Midnite when I finish here). One thing though, both Outback and Midnite controllers (and probably others) are stressed when dropping voltage from very high to very low. Ninety volt inputs are much better suited to 24 or 48 volt batteries.

The lower efficiency of 90 ---> 12 volts means the lost watts are converted to HEAT in the controller. Heat is stressful and will shorten life of electronic devices.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ywhic

I planned on doing my panels as 24v panels (18VMP*2).. and 3 strings in parallel..

So only a 24v (approx 33 VMP) down to 14.4 (aka 12v) scenerio..

I had replied to the issue on there forums hoping to spark a reply from Midnite or the Admins on it.. its been quiet for about 2 weeks..
  • halfcrazy

VTmaps is correct any MPPT controller will run cooler and more efficient when the input voltage is closer to battery voltage. They do need some headroom to operate correctly so I would say the proposed 36VMP into a 12 volt battery would be perfect.

Ryan
  • ywhic

Doe anyone have a photo of the Classic 150 with a 24v (nominal) PV array coming in and a 12v battery bank being used with MPPT and BULK going on..

I want to see the IN/OUT pic.. all I can find online is 24V systems with 24V banks and Wind..

With my TriStar I can only get what the battery has going on the main screen and the PV under diagnostics don't refresh unless you go in/out of the setting..
  • ywhic

Just got the video on the other.. thanks Ryan.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

al,
    i wouldn't fret too much about getting a classic. it is still relatively new and it is a constantly evolving thing. on top of that they are active in pursuing any problems that may arise. it is a loaded piece of electronic equipment and who knows what pleasant surprises are in store for us down the road.8)
  • ywhic

halfcrazy has been helping me over their on the site..

I am satisfied that CS is 100% gtg..

The Classic and Lite both look great though I'm favoring the Classic for the display being already on it..

If I manage to sell my current setup I'll be ordering with-in a week or so.. (crossing my fingers)..