Is this a good deal on used panels?

Options
BLUECORDED
BLUECORDED Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi,
Yes I'm new here. I've taken a new interest in solar technology. So while looking for used modules and other bos components to put my first system together I found 5 used sharp solar panels. 230W each poly and never used. The gentleman is asking $425 for the lot. Now looking at brand new panels I see that the ones I found are pretty cheap. Anyone know anything about these as far as quality? Figured I'd ask in this thread since everyone was on the low price topic.

Comments

• Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Bottom For Solar Prices
    BLUECORDED wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes I'm new here. I've taken a new interest in solar technology. So while looking for used modules and other bos components to put my first system together I found 5 used sharp solar panels. 230W each poly and never used. The gentleman is asking $425 for the lot. Now looking at brand new panels I see that the ones I found are pretty cheap. Anyone know anything about these as far as quality? Figured I'd ask in this thread since everyone was on the low price topic.

Welcome: First question, how can they be used if they were never used/installed? If they are still in their original package....I'd jump on them. That's a heck of a price. Go for it! Those are residential 30 volt panels more than likely. Are they black framed? Mr. moderator, I think this thread may need to be moved to another location: ie; Beginners area.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Right you are, Jim. :D On both counts.
    This is bound to turn in to a longer discussion of the OP's whole situation, and the Sharp 230 Watt panels have a Vmp of ~30.

$425 for five panels is $85 each, or $0.37 per Watt! Are you sure they didn't fall off the back of a lorry?
    One caveat: five panels works for a GT install sometimes, but for an off-grid application it is almost a must to have even numbers of panels (makes wiring simpler and more flexible). But at that price you could use four and keep one as a spare.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

And implementing solar is not cheap... While that is a good price for (hopefully) good panels (no cracks in glass, etc.), it works much better if you do a "paper" design of your system before buying more components (that that we all did not start buying first, and designing second in our lives).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Is this a good deal on used panels?

What people are eluding to is that panels come in 2 sorts, those designed to be used to charge batteries at a nominal voltage, generally about 17.5 volts to charge 12 volt panels or 35 volts to charge 24 volt systems. Or Panels can be designed to be used with MPPT charge controllers for grid tied system or charging batteries.

Charge controlers come in 2 types as well, PWM or MPPT, with out going into it much, PWM are cheaper and basically regulate voltage by turning the charging on and off very quickly. MPPT are more expensive and acctually convert the voltage to a voltage best utilized by your battery.

These panels if charging a 12 volt battery with a PWM charge controller, you will loose much of their wattage (amps x volts =watts) since they will work no better than a 17.5 volt panel of equal amperage( about a 150 watt panel) Still a good deal though.

...and you could move into a more expensive MPPT type charge controller later.

My guess with out the specs (these from the back of the panel would help us) You could use these with a Xantrex C60 or a morningstar 45amp PWM charge controller costing about $150. A MPPT Charge controller would cost around $500 but will utilize all the wattage available.

Rarely would I say this, but if they are good panels I'd buy first and figure out later as they have a value greater than the asking price. If you know someone knowledable take them along.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options

If the intent is for off grid battery application a high voltage charge controller could downconvert to 12, 24 or 48 volt. For on gird 4 to 5 panels is border line to load up a grid tie inverter. I have 4 Sharp 165 watt panels on an older grid tie inverter, it was configured for a lowere inpuy voltage than the current grid tie units, but when this inverter dies I will have a touhg time that will accepts such a low input voltage.

My inverter is underloaded, they would make a nice fit for mys set up :)!
  • MadJack
    MadJack Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Options

If it were me, I'd check them for output and most likely buy them! And since I just ordered 6-235w panels, they'd "fill the rack" on my system.
    Heck you could sell them on C/L for $200 each very easily.