Trojan T-105 or Trojan T-105 RE

Options
The Only Sarge
The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been "adjusting" here and am upgrading my battery bank/controller.
The Trojan/Roll distributor here in Texas is a great guy and full of info. In our discussion the subject of Trojan t-105 not being built nor recommended for solar came up. He tells me the Trojan 105-RE is what I need for smaller 12v systems. Here they are side by side.
T-105 6 Volt 225 250 10-3/8 7-1/8 10-7/8 62 122.28
T-105-RE 6 Volt 225 250 10-3/8 7-1/8 10-7/8 67 134.54

I see the 5lbs difference. He said that is from heavier plates. I do not doubt him but am curious of you folks experience.....I see many utilizing the T-105 on various spots on the internet with no issue. I can get the T-105 for under $100 so the cost difference is $30 each. We are going to be buying about 4 dozen. Just curious of yalls thoughts on this.

Other options I have are
L16RE-A 6 Volt 325 360 11-5/8 7-1/8 17-11/16 115 18 247.56
Rolls-Surrette
S-460 6 Volt 350 460 12-1/4 7-1/8 16-3/4 117 18 263.74
S-530 6 Volt 400 530 12-1/4 7-1/8 16-3/4 127 18 290.76
S-600 6 Volt 450 599 12-1/4 7-1/8 16-3/4 131 18 339.08

I am upgrading 4 systems total around here by the way. So I solicit your thoughts on Rolls vs. Trojan also ....
Thank you for your time in sharing your thoughts. These are all brand new and full warranty and the price is to my door.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Trojan T-105 or Trojan T-105 RE

The old T105's have worked fine in solar apps for many years. The new RE version is supposed to be "optimized" for solar; heavier plates to last longer like he said. They may have watered down the electrolyte a bit too; lower SG means less "oomph" but more years (think tractor engine instead of car engine). The RE version hasn't been out long enough to get any long-term usage info on it. I can't say it's worth $30 more or that it isn't. The regular ones can go seven or eight years with care. Who knows what we'll be using for batteries then? Probably T105's. :D

As for Rolls Surrette ... not keen on them anymore. Problems that people on this forum have had and the issues with getting the company to rectify them have put me off that brand. The price is still premium. Unless you need their particular Amp hour capacity (they have a nice range) I'd stay with Trojan.

Says the man who bought East Penn/Deka PS2200's this year. And is now watching it rain for days on end. :grr
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Several of the posters here (some quotes below that I could quickly find) said that that new Trojan RE batteries used significantly less water... So, reducing the amount of distilled water may save you work/money too.
    Joe_B wrote: »
    Get the RE's they use much less water.
    Mangas wrote: »
    I've had no failures with Trojan flooded cells back to 2006.

Sidebar, our new Trojan 16 REB's use very little water compared to the 2006 version. After almost two years, all 64 batteries are using less than 2-3 gallons every 5+ months compared to 8 gallons consumed every three months with the older model. Not sure why.

So far, they're performing above my expectations.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Sarge,

Cannot say anything about the Trojan T-105-REs from experience.

However looks like four systems, and about four dozen batteries might mean three strings each on 24 V systems, or some combo of 12, 24 and 48 V systems ... or ... ? But multiple strings can be trouble as you know. Am just guessing. T-105s can and do give good service for many. Multiple strings, not so much.

BB Bill has been a long time proponent of Clamp-On DC Ammeters. This clamp on function is almost essential in TRYING to keep string currents fairly close in multi-string batt banks. Sears has been a favored vendor of an inexpensive but pefectly acceptable version of this type of meter at about $60.

Recently have found a similar, perhaps identical clamp-on Multimeter at Radio Shack, similarly priced. For me, here in the USA, Radio Shack is much easier to find than Sears (I do not do on-line commerce). I am assuing a lot about your desired bank configuration, BUT, should you or others be interested, here is a link to the RS meter that I've recently bought, and it works acceptably well for most things that I do, and the clamp-on DC Ammeter function seems to work well (enough) for me:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4439164#tabsetBasic

Am mostly done assuming, for now. Good luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options

I can't speak to the difference between the T-105 types, but using the information you've provided, if you're buying four dozen batteries for four systems, and they're 12 volt, that implies that at least one of these systems will have 12 batteries, or 6 (!) parallel strings (and possibly all of them will).

Sorry if I'm missing something, but if this is the case I think you should be looking at a much larger capacity battery, and hence fewer strings, altogether.

Also and FWIW, after contacting several battery distributors, I ultimately found the best $/amp-hour price using L-16s, so it may be worth it to shop around more.
  • The Only Sarge
    Options

Thank you gentlemen I sure appreciate your valuable insight.
    For clarity.....these are totally separate systems in four different locations. One 12 volt two 24 volt and one 48 volt systems.
    We are looking at using one supplier and have settled on this guy. He sells both Rolls and Trojan. He leans towards Trojan though...fairly obvious.....
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He appears very reasonably priced!

I always discounted the 'less watering' to people replacing batteries, I've found batteries require more water as they age.

I had heard that the new 'RE' batteries would have more room for sulfates to collect at the bottom of the cells, I've read shorting by sulfation kills 50+% of batteries. I was disapointed to see they had the same demensions.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wel,

Believe that the outside case dimensions are part of a 'standard', which mfgs need to meet to call a battery a "T-105", for example. The dimensions of the paltes, of course, do vary in the quest for more capacity.

Shed plate material often builds up at the bottom of the jar, and can cause shunt currents and shorting. Some of the premium batteries tout plates that are enveloped (Sylvar and glass etc) to help contain the active (and perhaps other) material.

I do NOT know from personal investigation, do not take apart batteries ... yet anyway. YMMV Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • The Only Sarge
    Options

I just called and asked. Also ordered 8 T-105RE...
    Basically the difference is a unique application of their alpha plus paste and how it is integrated to their T2 metal agent technology in the RE line of batteries. He is telling me they get 1000-1500 more cycles out of an RE manufactured battery versus a non -RE battery doing this and the cost is not much more. So that would explain the 5lb weight differential. I also would suspect maybe a little less "oomph" out of an RE for the additional cycles. Probably not enough to make a difference in the big picture.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

IMO the 64 L16 REBs' (renewable energy version) that replaced my older L16s' are better.

After two years, they are using significantly less water than the older version after the same peiod. Also, they seem to hold their voltages better. Of course, they cost more.

We'll see how they do over the long haul. So far, I'm happy with them.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers