Search ResultsXantrex SW5548 inverter not kicking over to battery quick enough

Options
Taxman
Taxman Registered Users Posts: 3
Hey everybody!

This is my first time posting, long time lurker. I know very little in the field of inverters and have been tasked to find out why this system is not working correctly.

The inverter takes about a second to kick over to the batteries. This delay causes our servers to restart, which causes problems for the websites hosted on them. This system used to work flawlessly and only recently has it started to do this.

I've been told the batteries are getting pretty old but they have been "refilled" in the last few years with fresh battery acid.

We believe it has something to do with us adding more of a load on the sytem. We've added a few more servers since it stopped working. Would this cause a delay?

Any insite would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Ted

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Search ResultsXantrex SW5548 inverter not kicking over to battery quick enough

Well, it's seems to be a hard one to find. I had one I took to the service center and they changed all 3 boards and it was still doing it. There are a couple transfer Relays that are usually the problem, they can stick or have a insect in them or just be slow. The main control board can also be the issue. In the end my local center sent it into the main Xantrex service center after changing a 3 boards and 4 hrs labor and they sent it back and said it was within the transfer limits. Two things they do is pick it up on the bench 1/2 inch and drop it a few times and cycle it a few times.

Batteries NEVER need to be refilled with Acid, just distilled water. If the voltage is dropping low on transfer it could be a issue, for sure.
  • Taxman
    Options
    Re: Search ResultsXantrex SW5548 inverter not kicking over to battery quick enough

Thanks Blackcherry04 for the reply!

I managed to get a hold of a tech who services these inverters. I changed the inverter mode from "search mode" to "on." I guess it was looking for a generator we don't have. Since it was searching for a generator when the power went out, the transfer time was increased to a few seconds compared to zero. We are going to schedule a time when we can test this out.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm leaning it's the relays, but you know nothing of electronics to fix it yourself and it's too old of an inverter so my advice is to buy another inverter that will fill your requirements.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,446 admin
    Options

"Search Mode"... These inverters are really complex to work with and program... In general, a "search mode" setting is where the Off-Grid inverter turns on ~once a second for a couple AC cycles looking for more than ~6-10 watts of AC load--If it sees that load, then the inverter turns on. When the minimum load "goes away", the inverter falls back to search mode (to reduce power usage when there is no AC power needed).

In your case, if I am understanding correctly, you do not want search mode turned on--It will take a second or two for the inverter to recognize that there are AC loads (using as a UPS uninterruptable Power Supply). So, you will (normally) always have an active load 24x7.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Taxman wrote: »
    Thanks Blackcherry04 for the reply!

I managed to get a hold of a tech who services these inverters. I changed the inverter mode from "search mode" to "on." I guess it was looking for a generator we don't have. Since it was searching for a generator when the power went out, the transfer time was increased to a few seconds compared to zero. We are going to schedule a time when we can test this out.
    Cool, I never though of that one. If it works, it works. Have you tested it yet ??
  • Taxman
    Options

We can't test it without sending out a mass email to all the owners of the websites we host. I will definitely let you guys know how the test goes. This forum is amazing. Thank you guys so much.

-Ted
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Search mode has nothing to do with a generator. Search and Gen functions are independent parrameters. When you get to the power screen you must scroll past search to keep the inverter on. Once this is set the way you want the inverter will keep your setting in memory. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want UPS function (< 2 AC cycle dropout) then you must NOT run search mode.

For normal UPS operation the inverter runs in parallel with grid. I have been running this way for 15 years on my SW4048's. You will hear the continual buzz of the inverter which is indication that it is running in parallel with grid. When the grid drops it momentarily overloads the inverter causing the relay connecting ACout/inverter node to grid to release from grid tie. This typically is done within a cycle but worse case it is two cycles. Most computer power supplies will be okay with a two cycle gap.

Perhaps someone accidentally changed the setup to standby search mode.

If the relay contacts get pitted sometimes they will stick together and not release immediately when grid goes down. You will usually get an overload alarm shutdown or stuck relay alarm if this is happening though.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Taxman wrote: »
    I've been told the batteries are getting pretty old but they have been "refilled" in the last few years with fresh battery acid.
    -Ted

I really hope they did not do that...

If so, that could lead to a very fast battery death.

And what RCinFLA said - those inverters normally operate in "pass through" mode when hooked to AC while also charging the batteries if needed. It has been almost a decade since I set one up, but the "search" mode means it is searching for an AC load, and if none or under ~10 watts or so is detected, it goes into standby.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

taxman,
    that's good info from those familiar with the inverter and i'd be curious if any of this turns out to be the case. give us a bit of feedback here of what is going on and what you've found.