Broken battery terminal

Generic
Generic Registered Users Posts: 27
During shipping a terminal on one of my batteries was bent down. I didn't notice it until moving them in to place and connecting them. I tried gently bending it back enough to get a bolt through but it just broke off. Does anyone know of a clamp style connection or some other way to get a good solid and safe connection here?

The battery bank is 48v 450ah with a max possible draw of 125 amps. The wiring is #4/0. Here is a couple pictures to better explain. I'd rather not have to replace the battery to keep from using one from a different lot.
1.jpg 84.3K
2.jpg 102K

Comments

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Broken battery terminal

When I went to crown to pick up my forktruck battery. I told them I didn,t want the andersonplugs so they cut them off and put new lugs that had 2 connections. They set onthe new lugs and and melted lead with a burnzamaticto to attach them. Wonder if that could be done with your battery? Solarvic
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

it also appears that a standard automotive battery connector might work.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7511031_0361187152

there are varieties of them too, but you may need to file or sand down some of the excess jutting out from the broken area.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

If you have a battery distributor in your area, you might be able to haul the cell/battery to them and they can replace the connection for a nominal charge.

As always, be very careful with flames (and sparks) around a lead acid battery bank--They will accumulate hydrogen gas while charging.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Generic

That would be perfect if they came in different sizes. It seems all automotive lugs are 3/8" or 5/16". Mine is 1 1/8" so that would be a whole lot of filing down and it would be pretty hard to get it nice and round.
  • Generic

Could one of these steel clamps work?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202209878/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1

Or would it get too hot with so much juice flowing through it?

edit: without the rubber of course
  • BB.

I would not... Besides overheating (steel is not a "great" electrical conductor, stainless is even worse)--Corrosion from the acid mist will be an issue too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

sorry as i did not realize the terminal was that large. i guess talk to the people that sold it to you and explain the situation and see what they might be able to do for you or suggest.

if you are lucky to be near a battery distributor, they may be able to do something too as bill suggested.
  • Generic

Just found what seems to be a good idea from a golf cart forum. You drill a small tap hole directly into the lead terminal then screw in a hanger bolt. Now you have a bolt that you can tighten the battery cable directly against the terminal. Does this seem like a bad idea to anyone? Taking the battery back to the distributor isn't really an option. 150 miles away plus a day off work.
  • Crotalus
    Crotalus Solar Expert Posts: 26

The question is, How far down into the lead terminal can you go? The screw appears to be quite long. Another option would be to get a brass threaded rod that you can cut to the size needed. You would need to tap the battery terminal to create the threads in the terminal. All you would need is a good connection on the existing terminal. You might also need to change the size of the cable lug? Any hardware store should have the needed items.
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭

That post has to go clear down through the electrolyte and attach to the plate, so I bet it's long enough for that lag screw. Melting lead for a new terminal would be the best way though. I saw in another forum, some guy got a free Surrette L16 that someone had shorted out and blown the whole top of the post to kingdom come. He drained the electrolyte, cut the whole top of the battery off, and poured a new post with a form and some molten lead.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=145761.0
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

My friend kept melting terminals off the batteries on his EV and a local battery shop would just recast a new terminal on it for him.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Generic

Just an update on this - The hanger bolt worked well. I used a 3/16" by 3" hanger bolt. If anyone does this in the future use a stack of washers with the nut on the end while you screw it in. That way you won't strip the nut at the end of the bolt section and you won't strip the bolt threads either. This cost about $2 and just a few minutes to do. There was no heat at the connection while using 3kw from the inverter so the connection seems solid.
    Attachment not found.
    3.jpg 76.8K
  • BB.

Put lots of anti-corrosive stuff in/under/around the connection and parts (get something from the local auto parts store for batteries, etc.).

-Bill
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    (get something from the local auto parts store for batteries, etc.).

-Bill

Use SDG (Silicone Dielectric Grease) , wash your hands and use protection. About the best for the buck .
    I would of cut the stud down to a lesser protrusion .

VT