The final piece for my system.. panels.. 12v or 24v..??

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
I started by going to 12v.. then 24v.. then due to costs (and trying to get a 2000 watt inverter) I went back to 12v..

I have the MorningStar TS-45 (PWM) controller, a 6 breaker combiner box, and the wiring and such..

I know I've been driving you folks crazy but I don't want to jump to far in at this stage.. and later regret it.

All my wiring for the combiner (8 AWG), controller (6 AWG), & inverter (3/000 AWG) is set for 12v..

step2.jpg

As of today I can get 125w or 140w 12v panels for about $2/watt with shipping included.. (people with stock)

Then I find on several retailers the ET Solar and Astro Energy panels in the 185-190w range (24v) for $1.62-1.75/watt shipped.. (these are the 37.2 VMP, and not the lower 30v panels)

I could get 3 of the 24v panels for under $990 shipped and be at 570 watts for a starter system and have room on my MorningStar TS45 (PWM) for upto about 1500 watts using 24v panels (or 12v panels in series then parallel).. (I used the MorningStar string calc)..

I was willing to go 12v using 130-140w panels.. but 4 of them puts me between $1200 and $1300.. and would leave me at about the same 520-560 watts..

I could also go with 85w (12v) panels ($1.93/watt) * 4 for $655 and start with 340 watts.. or just grab 2 ET/Astro 190w (24v) panels (380 watts) for $667 shipped ($1.75/watt)..

I'd be saving $200 by going with a 24v system from the gate.. but then I'd have to get a 1500-2000 w 24v inverter which is $137 (for the Samlex PST-1500w 24v) $165 (for the Cotek SA-1500w 24v) or up to $250 more (for Samlex PST-2000w 24v) than the Xantrex SW 2000 Pure Sine inverter I had looked at for a 12v system..

I'm thinking I can make do with the Cotek SA 1500 w model ($490) as its kinda heavy duty and should be able to start a 4.5-5 AMP rated 110v (540 watt) Air Conditioner (with 400-500ah of battery bank)..

What would you folks do if you had $1000 and no panels and had to decide on this??? :confused:

Comments

• Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Re: The final piece for my system.. panels.. 12v or 24v..??

well, you're kind of stuck with matching your panels to your batteries with the PWM charge controller, if it were me, I'd go with the 24V system if you don't need to run anything on 12V. All your beefy wiring would now ensure very little voltage drop as well!
  • ywhic

What I noticed is with most 24v panels they are 30v VMP, and not the 36-37 VMP everyone here told me to look for my offgrid setup..

They were saying that the 30v VMP panels may not make enough volts to charge the battery bank when the temp hits the 105'F as it does in the summer out there in TX where this setup will be..

& If I start with say 3 of the 36-37VMP panels.. can I add some 30VMP panels into the mix or will that be too far different?? and will I be stuck trying to find 17-18 VMP panels and series'ing them together to get nearer the 36-37 VMP of the original 2-3 that I may buy??
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Only my opinion but ...
    For the loads you want to run now and the loads you want to run later (like the A/C) you should go with the 24 Volt system. Load demands always increase, and big demands (like start surges) are better handled by higher system Voltage.

As for mixing 30 Vmp panels with 36 Vmp panels ... for parallel connections that's a no-go. There's a 20% difference in Voltage there, which is a lot of power to be losing. Even with a PWM controller where it's mainly a matter of current you'd have losses. And the 30 Vmp panels are not going to work "straight up" on a 24 Volt system. The V-drop from temp and through wiring can easily eat up a couple of Volts and then you wouldn't be able to charge at the Absorb level of 28.8+. This will happen at the worst time too, as the panels will be hottest midday when the batteries have been through Bulk and are looking for that peak Voltage for Absorb (or even more if you're trying to do equalization). My RTS often adjusts the Voltage to over 29, and that's way too close to 30 Vmp even without hot panels.

Depending on what the Imp of the two panel types are, they might work in series. But that would be only with an MPPT controller.

This is another fine example of how hard it is to upgrade a system from one level to another.
  • Caneman
    Caneman Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭

if it was me i would return the cc and get the mppt, and go with 24v... more power and flexibility in the long run...
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

When you bought the pwm controler you can,t use the the 30 volt panels to charge 24 or 12 volt. Should have bought a mppt controler like you were advised and your whole solar system would have been less cost in the end. Think you will have to series 17 18 v panels or just buy panels in the 35 38 v range since you got the pwm controler. :Dsolarvic:D
  • ywhic

So if I go with 24v (36-37 VMP) panels I can double some 12v (17-18 VMP) panels.. thats what I wanted to confirm up..

Should I buy some 12v panels now (17-18 VMP) (to just get them).. and then when I go to go back to the TX location order 2 of the 24v panels (36-37 VMP) then for delivery out there since there bigger??

Maybe a 4 lot of the 85w panels for $655 shipped now (340w).. then 2 of the ET/Astro 190w (380w) for $667 shipped later direct to TX.. that would give me 720w total.. and come to $1.84/watt overall..

I would like to order in the next 4-5 weeks so I am trying to get some ideas on which way to proceed..

Returning the TS45 (PWM) for a TS45 (MPPT) isn't an option for the additional $$ that also would take.. FWIW..
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

First did you check on the large 190 watt 12V nominal panels I PM'd you about? Looks like they have sold out at this point.

Panels will need to match to some degree, so buying a PWM or a MPPT doesn't limit your 'flexibility' and in South Texas with a major demand in summer, I'd worry about a MPPT charge Controller when the difference between it and and PWM is less than 10% of your panel expense. I strongly disagree with SolarVic it won't be cost effective likely until you reach close to $2000 investment in panels. I like solar Vic and we've even transacted some business, but for your use and limited $...

I'm sure DM panels are in stock, if I had $1000 to spend, I'd skip a few meals and buy 6 of them for $1025 delievered for 6 - 145 watt panels for near 900 watt array. I might even see if you could purchase through Amazon, I spoke with 'Dave' and he says they have been recieved but not stocked, 1 container so they will sell out quickly at $140 each w/free shipping, should be listed in the next week or so.

Just perhaps you do 'grow' your system in the future, 6 x 18.7VMP = @112VMP wich divided by 4 = @28V which you could match up with 4 of the 'grid tie' type panels to expand your system and switch to a MPPT type controller in the future.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ywhic

Thanks.. no worries.. got somewhat thick skin.. Funds will be coming into play in about 3 weeks..

I'll be grabbing the max wattage for each swipe of my debit card..

I'm thinking 125-140 watt panels as things go.. easier for me to get them all here to PA now.. then just palletize when I decide to go out to TX and ship it to the nearest terminal.. I just want panels in-house soon since things are getting somewhat scuttled for certain panels..

I'm hoping the folks with the 140w panels keep them at $1.90/watt.. though who knows..

Some intial numbers or thoughts are:

2-140w panels $530
    1-100w panel $190

380 watts for $720.. $1.89/watt..

or..

2-125w panels $500
    1-100w panel $190

350 watts for $690.. $1.97/watt..

Worst case if I leave it 12v is 760 watts or 700 watts.. using double the panels for total of 6..
  • Photowhit

Do you know people down in TX? Moving 2x would be an extra expense I wouldn't want. Maybe you could have the panels shipped directly there.

$1 a watt delievered backed up by Amazon, is the deal I'd work hard for, I would buy 12V nominal panels in pairs, incase you wanted to grow.

I'm guessing you'll be bill free for the most part once you take up residence, but understand rural live comes with some expenses. rather you ran on a genny than ran out of money and frustrated.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solarvic

photowitt, Maybe I shouldn,t give any advice in this particular solar setup. Personaly I would want all the same panels and would buy them all at 1 time with 1 set of shipping charges. I have 3 different models of sharp 167 watt panels because I didn,t get them all at 1 time in one of my arrays. In another array I will have at least 2 different voltage or maybe 3 that all have a different voltage because I didn,t get all that was needed at one time. Guess I learned the hard way about the panels going out of production. :Dsolarvic:D
  • Dill

I've bought all my Kyocera KDX135's through NAWS because they can ship them UPS instead of freight. It's saved quite a bit in shipping costs.
  • ywhic

I hear you on the pairs..

Some places want almost $2.30/watt for 140 w panels.. I may have to drop to 125w panels @ $2/watt..

I could do 2 of the 125w for $500 and then 2 of the 100w for $380.. be $880 for 450 watts.. $1.95/watt..

Don't know anyone near my property.. I'm 22 miles from civilization.. the only locals are the border patrol. LoL..

I found a Roadway and UPS terminal not to far away.. just a matter of getting a pallet and shipping everything to myself for couple 100 next spring.. this fall is looking slim for another trip with me being out of work..

Maybe I should stick with just 2 panels for a start and a WM Maxx 29DC battery for the next trip.. take the panels and put them inside the building when I leave.. at least then I'd have juice for when I was there for that week or two to run a drill and small stuff..

The C option is to buy my panels and 2000W Xantrex inverter.. and just take my inverter out in my luggage and use it and the rental car to power my drill and such.. (minding the battery for sure)..

solarvic.. I'd would love to get 3-4 of the same panels now.. but unless I sell my rifle for this (which would be stupid) I have to wait for my next non-working check..

Dill.. the issue I have with getting Kyocera 135's is not the $295 price.. but the $225 shipping I was told for 4 panels to my zip here in PA..

Thats a $1400 total.. which when compared to $1060 shipped for 4 - 140w 'Sopray' still seems like alot...

It works to $56/panel shipped on the Kyocera 135w panels..

It works for me to $715 shipped for just 2 of the Kyocera 135 from NAWS ($62.50/panel s&h)..
  • solarvic

I am curious on what your ups charges were and how many panels you got. The last 4 185 watt kyocera panels I got from NAWS freight charged to my local UPS freight terminal was about 220.00. from arizona to Pa. :Dsolarvic:D
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭

I agree with solarvic that if you can, get all the same type at one time: both easier to work with and lower shipping (I made a similar mistake to his).

But if you can't do that, then I agree with Dill that the KD-series are a good alternative since they are just small enough to ship UPS, so you can upgrade later at relatively modest shipping cost. They're nice panels too (I used to have some). Even here though, try to keep the panels the same or very similar.

Edit: Solarvic, I think I remember I paid around $60/panel UPS shipping for those Kyoceras from NAWS (to Alabama). This was a few years ago though.
  • Photowhit

I haven't heard a reason the Dm panels are off the table, at $1 a watt shipped? It sounds like you have more time than money, I could sit around refreshing a computer screen a dozen times a day for the price difference. Heck I'd try contacting Amazon about them... (this next to impossible feat, will require some hunting for 'real' contact numbers.)
  • ywhic

DM's not off the table I just think my money timing is going to kabosh it.. 3-4 weeks = not good for me getting them I don't think..

Cutting to the chase.. which one to go with?? anyone got ET or Astro panels in use??

26 1/2" x 59" for the Kyocera 135GX
    26" x 48 1/2" for the no-name 125W
    31 3/4" x 62 1/4" for the ET Solar 190w.
    31 3/4" x 61 1/4" for the AstroEnergy 190w.

Thinking 3 of the smaller 125 $750 shipped, or 2 of 135 panels $717 shipped, or 2 of the bigger 190w 24v ones $689-709 shipped..
  • Dill

Al, have you gotten shipping quotes from elsewhere? Even when I ordered my KDX's about a year ago, it was around $50 each to ship them.
  • Photowhit

...And now for something completly different...

I understand that you have income for a while, and that you expect to have some outside sources of income, but I don't think I would push the envelope myself spending money as it comes in. With out preaching, it appears your moving to an area where you have no friends and just a few prospects. (FWIW - I understand Texas is doing better than many/most states).

You appear to work things through very thoroughly, I think you mentioned Internet sites and sales, can you reach the Internet from your location? Do you know what Texas unemployment practices are? My understanding from the migrant nuclear plant workers I see every 18 months is the unemployment follows you from state to state and benefits vary by state.

To anyone who is starting out to live a rural life, you must be prepared for the isolation, I don't live too, rural, but only 'go to town' once a week on average and town is just 13-15 miles away. I do spend a night with friends about 35mi away and play pool league, my social interaction.

I see others preparing, building their cabins, and at least one who is 'going solar' who after one trip to town, will turn around and go back the same day 'to buy gas'... He wouldn't make it, but he's 70+ somewhat alienated from his family and living his dream, more power to him.

I was prepared, I spent most of a year bicycling @7000mi mostly by myself, I have no problems being alone so long as I have direction. I have mostly existed on near minimum wage jobs, Don't think I've made $20K + in the last 12 years. I also haven't paid an electric bill, rent payment, or mortgage in those years, (at least not my own) until this last year for the modular I purchased last fall. If I didn't have an inheritance in the bank that had just been sitting there for 5 years, I would be making (very small)mortgage payments this year as well. (Thanks Dad, your remembered fondly)

All this to say, Heck wire your cabin, do a small system and run fans for a rough summer, survive the winter, by then you'll know better where you stand. You might find you need more interaction with people, and need a small car so you can make the regular trip to town or maybe you decide to live near Ft Bliss to serve as a gun smith and use this as a retreat. I suspect you've thought all this through, just suggesting to keep some of your eggs in the bank, you might want an omlet on a rainy day.

If you have any cell reception, kindles have a 'free' web browser. Slow and a real pain, but if you need to check Email it can be real handy and it's free to use on 3G connected kindles (not the wifi only ones, obviously) I don't have a land line and it was my only contact with the outside world other than a cell phone, when I was snowwed in at the cabin for 4-5 days last spring (15 months ago). After 3 days a humvee came through to take a fellow out who had heart problems, I went out as far as I had shoveled to wave, even I have limits to being alone.
  • ywhic

Decided to bite the bullet.. selling my 2 month old AR for $900 hopefully.. taking a $225 hit.. hopefully it moves..

I do alot of online stuff and have 3 websites.. cell on the property is a no-go at the moment unless I am on hill with Verizon I was told..

I'm alot like the 70 yo guy.. loner type.. less than 3 friends.. bawahahaha..

I figure that $900 will give me jump on something.. I have ADHD and geet frustrated when things don't go.. I've been sleeping crappy for the last 4 days thinking of panel & watts at 2am.. I hate being at a point of hands tied.. going back to work hopefully within the next 4 weeks.. the good news is I can always build another rifle.. (& I still have 1 AR)..

on subject...

Does anyone run Astro Energy or ETSolar panels??
  • solarvic
    Eric L wrote: »
    I agree with solarvic that if you can, get all the same type at one time: both easier to work with and lower shipping (I made a similar mistake to his).

But if you can't do that, then I agree with Dill that the KD-series are a good alternative since they are just small enough to ship UPS, so you can upgrade later at relatively modest shipping cost. They're nice panels too (I used to have some). Even here though, try to keep the panels the same or very similar.

Edit: Solarvic, I think I remember I paid around $60/panel UPS shipping for those Kyoceras from NAWS (to Alabama). This was a few years ago though.
    solarvic wrote: »
    I am curious on what your ups charges were and how many panels you got. The last 4 185 watt kyocera panels I got from NAWS freight charged to my local UPS freight terminal was about 220.00. from arizona to Pa. :Dsolarvic:D

This was my point. You can spend as much money getting 3 or 4 panels shipped by UPS as what truck freight cost you for 3 or 4 panels. Using larger panels, cheaper by watt, Don,t need as many for tha like amount of kw. Another thing about truck freight. A skid with 1 panel takes the same footprint in the truck. Once you pay for that adding more panels on the pallet is less per panel as you already payed for the footprint. I had 1 shipment with 2 panels, (didn,t like the attitude of the man at the dock) so ordered 4 more using different trucking co, UPS freight and the shipping was about $50.00 less . I used to work at the dock at the foundry where I worked so got to read the freight charges on the bill of lading. Our shipper was preety sharp with the pencil and used the freight companys that gave the best deal. :Dsolarvic:D missed ywhc. Missed your post. Roadway was bought out by UPS freight and for me seem reliable and fair priced. CCX is the referenced high cost co with the ornry dock worker. The ccx dock worker was unsafe and lazy , grouchy and oncooperative. My panels were blocked in by another forktruck and skid in front of it. Unstead of climbing on that forktruck which had longer forks he pushed that forktruck out of the skid and drug the skid sideways out of the one that was in front of it. By that time the skid was partly broken. He used a forktruck with short forks that just caught the edge of the cross board in the skid. Then he come down the ramp with the lift about 4 ft off the ground. Then he griped that I should come earlier when he wouldn,t be there. Guess what!! CCX isn,t getting any more of my business. Also recomend fedex freight. Good friendly service.
  • Dill
    ywhic wrote: »
    Decided to bite the bullet.. selling my 2 month old AR for $900 hopefully.. taking a $225 hit.. hopefully it moves..

I do alot of online stuff and have 3 websites.. cell on the property is a no-go at the moment unless I am on hill with Verizon I was told..

I figure that $900 will give me jump on something.. I have ADHD and geet frustrated when things don't go.. I've been sleeping crappy for the last 4 days thinking of panel & watts at 2am.. I hate being at a point of hands tied.. going back to work hopefully within the next 4 weeks.. the good news is I can always build another rifle.. (& I still have 1 AR)..

on subject...

Does anyone run Astro Energy or ETSolar panels??

Look into cell amplifiers. I have this 12V Sleek cradle model by Wilson Electronics, it works very well, I put the antenna on the roof of my truck, and works great for internet access.

81522615201060243PM63.jpg

I know how you feel about sleeping and thinking, when I'm sleeping is when I do some of my best thinking! I spent the day yesterday wiring my cabin for AC, I have 1 lighting circuit left and then the AC part is done. I'm going to do some 12V runs as well for charging stations and a 12V cooler. I'm only a little over an hour away from mine, I can't imagine being half the country away :(
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i had good luck with r&l and they often delivered to a place i used to work at during the 90s. it turns out that the driver that delivered here a few years back delivered to my former employer too. not too sure of how they compare price-wise.
  • ywhic

After analysis on shipping and such I may keep it under 140w per panel.. just for shipping ability..

Most of the 185-190 panels are 60+" long which is over a 4' skid/pallet.. not sure if I'd want to ship them loose with overhang.
    (suggestions welcome)..

Going to try and get 140w panels from the gate.. as many as I can for as cheap as I can..
    (maybe the DM thing if I can get the funds in time..) (others have 140w panels at $2.10/watt - $2.19/watt..)

Plan B is setup as 4-130 w panels for 520 watts total and $965 shipped.. ($1.85/watt)

Plan C is setup as 3-125 w panels and 1-100 w panels for 475 watts total and $940 shipped.. ($1.98/watt)..

Plan D is setup as 2-125 w panels and 3-100 w panels for 550 watts total and $1070 shipped.. ($1.95/watt)..

Plan E is setup as 3-190 w AstroEnergy 24v (36-37 VMP) Panels for 570 watts total and $926 shipped.. ($1.62/watt)..
  • solarvic

The shipper will use the correct size pallet so the panels don,t overhang the skid. If you can afford iy I think I would go with plan e. Maybe if later ob you still might find panels that work with them if you want to grow your system. Yes Niel my shop I worked for uses R & L shipping which was preety good shipping also. I think they are more of a regional carrier. solarvic
  • ywhic

Well the funds came in from the sale of my item.

I'm shooting for 2 - 130w panels @ $1.69w shipped $440. and 3 - 145w panels for like $435 @ $1w shipped (when there released).

Should be at 5 panels and 695 watts by this weekend coming.. works to $1.25 w overall..
  • solarvic

Don,t understand why you want to mix your panels. If you can get 3 145 watt panels for about the same price as the 2 130 watt panels, It makes more sense to get 5 of the 145 watt panels probably at a lower cost than the proposed deal and you will end up with 30 more watts. I can tell you from my personal experience that I have mixed arrays that lose a small amount of watts. Not much I can do about it as I bought my panels at different times and couldn,t get identical matchs. OF course it your business but doesn,t make sense to use unmatched panels when you could get all 5 the same. :Dsolarvic
  • Dill

I agree, buy all the same panels.
  • ywhic

1) The issue is the vendor of the 145w panels does not have a firm date set yet.

2) I have only enough cash in the bank for 2 panels at this very second, and the 130w were decently priced compared to most.
    (worst case I buy 2-3 of the 145w panels today (if I could) and then 2 more of the same in a day or 2 if the dealer does not sell out)

3) If the balance xfers thru from PPal to my bank by #1 (date) then I will buy as many as I can get.

The 2 of the 130 and 3 of the 145 is the worst case scenerio.

The vendor for the 130w panels has not got back to me yet to send me an PPAL invoice. (he may not even agree on the pricing as he gave my the $1.69 based on a 3-4 panel purchase.)

If I hear nothing back by say 3pm I will xfer the rest of the PPal $$ to my account so it all hits at one shot.. then I can just buy 5 of the 145w panels.. and still have some change left over..

To find 130-140 w (12v) panels for less than $1.85/watt isn't going to happen.. hence ths hustle on may part to have the 130 w dealer send me a PPal invoice.. I then can flip a coin later today.. and just sit on the Ppal invoice for a day and see what happens with the 145w panel dealer..

I don't want to put all my cookies in dealer with the 145w panels as that usually for me ends crappy..
  • Dill

are those prices you're quoting including shipping?
  • ywhic
    Dill wrote: »
    are those prices you're quoting including shipping?

Yes. the 130 w panels are $220 each shipped.. $1.69/watt

The 145 w panels are going to be about $145 each shipped $1/watt.. <<hence my excitement..

The dealer of the 145 emailed me like 4 minutes after I emailed him as to when.. he said tommorrow they will be available..

Then I asked how many via email and he said 440 panels again within a few minutes.. :cool:

Gonna move the balance from PPal to my bank NOW.. just in case.. LoL..