3m solar films for residential windows, are they worth the investment?

Options
rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
3m solar films for residential windows, are they worth the investment?
SEEMS like none of the dealers will give me pricing over the phone!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 3m solar films for residential windows, are they worth the investment?

Well if they won't tell you the cost, how could you ever know?

The whole concept seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. Monocrystaline panels are only about 18% efficient: that is the biggest flaw in solar. So how efficient could this stuff be, especially as it won't be aimed directly at the sun? Maybe if it sold for $0.30 per Watt. Installation wouldn't be that straightforward either.

Instead of making wrap-around panels and translucent panels and printable panels they should concentrate research efforts on two simple things: get the efficiency up and the price down.

Then solve the same problems with storage and you'd have real progress. This other stuff is just gimmickry.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/
    In the winter time I WANT the heat from the sun. During Summer, the sun is high overhead and doesn't shine in the South facing windows anyway. So for me, in my location, it's definitely a thumbs down.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

so I should just get awning for my windows? That might look ugly, but you've got me thinking.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options

Depends on where you live, re needing winter heat or not. At least in my opinion. Here in Nova Scotia, it doesn't matter how frigging cold and windy the winter day, if the sun is shining, my inside temps normally hit 90F with no other source of heat. Sometimes I open a couple f windows to cool er down, other times I "suffer" :D it out and don't have to light the wood stove until midnight. Either way I'm laughing all the way to the bank while my neighbors spray heating oil up their chimney's and wonder where they'll get the money to refill the tank. :D:D
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The good ceramic film would help down here in the desert on windows with direct exposure.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/
    In the winter time I WANT the heat from the sun. During Summer, the sun is high overhead and doesn't shine in the South facing windows anyway. So for me, in my location, it's definitely a thumbs down.

But, tttthat's logical ! I'm fighting the California Energy Board (title 24 energy efficiency) I HAVE to install 3 pane, e-Glass, which wipes out any winter solar heat gain. And the windows are shaded with overhangs in the summer. And the northern version with the reflective side facing inward, is not recognized in California (because we all live in fantasy land, and need air conditioning 24/7) where the idea is to keep the heat OUT.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike, tell them they're not windows; they're passive solar heating panels. :D

I've got them in my house and they work really well. A little too well at times. Need to arrange some adjustable shading.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Reminds me of the old Window tax in Britain from centuries ago.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options

No wonder so many people want "smaller government"! Too many "Civil Servants" trying to look busy and justify their job :(