Energy useage of a water pump

techntrek
techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
I know there is a water pumping section but my question is about energy useage. Just had to replace my well pump ( :cry: ) and the ratings dictated that I move from the 3/4 HP pump that was installed, to a 1 HP pump. The reason is the pump depth @ 340 feet. Anyway, the change meant an increase of about 25% in amps, but the gallons-per-minute doubled so theoretically it will recharge the system in half the time. So this should mean an overall reduction in the energy used, right?
4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Energy useage of a water pump

It could, sort of - - maybe. The heavier draw on the batteries may sufficiently involve the peukert effect, that the available energy from your batteries may be reduced, thus countering any otherwise saved energy.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on motor efficency, it's power factor, where you are on the pump curve for it, and how heavy the load is, I can see you running 2,000 w consumed, my 1/2 hp nameplate motor, shows as 1,000w on the XW6048 control panel.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Thanks, all. I wish I had some "before" figures from the old pump so I could do a comparison, but no big deal. I'll wait to see how my household useage pans out over time to get a rough estimate.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is