Solar Noon

Sun Dog
Sun Dog Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
I'm finally adding PV to our off-grid system and as a starting point want to get them pointing due south. My plan is to use the shadows created at solar noon to do this and I wanted to run my plan by the forum to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Today our sunrise/sunset was 4:50am and 10:18pm. Day light savings time is over so I believe that means our solar noon is at 1:34pm, is that correct?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Noon

you are correct as it is the exact middle between the 2 times.
  • themaxx69
    themaxx69 Registered Users Posts: 23

OMG! How do you survive in that cold up there!?
  • niel

he's probably wondering how you can stand the heat down there.:p
  • Sun Dog

Thanks Niel. I wouldn't say that I like -40 but you do get used to dealing with it. The long days of spring and summer are a real plus.
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was trying to do the same calculation when I set up my array. Then I read an idea that a quick and easy way to find a true north-south line is to go out after dark and shove a couple sticks in the ground that are in line with the North Star.
  • Sun Dog

Thanks for the suggestion. If we have some clear nights I will give it a try although we are fast approaching the time of year that it doesn't get dark enough to see any stars.
  • Crotalus
    Crotalus Solar Expert Posts: 26

Arctic Donkey,

Do you remember this day?
    Attachment not found.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Celsius or Farenheit? (Canada, so C, but down that low the scale is the same, and the feeling is gone from your extremities anyway!)

Ralph
  • Sun Dog

Crotalus,

That and many days like it.........unfortunately :cry:
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Cheer up, at that temperature your panels are probably so efficient they are powered by starlight and moonlight :D
  • niel
    Windsun wrote: »
    Cheer up, at that temperature your panels are probably so efficient they are powered by starlight and moonlight :D

speaking of moonlight, i measured .126v out of our recent super moon. useless, i know, but just an fyi.:roll:
  • Sun Dog
    Windsun wrote: »

That sounds like a great research project. Just make sure you bring two pairs of shorts, layers are the key to staying warm :p