starting from scratch - off grid water system

EB Boyd
EB Boyd Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi. I'm currently trying to design an off grid water system from scratch. I'm running 2 x 200 w panels, 45 A Tri star 24 V 230 AH (1000 W inverter)
I'd like to run a DC system, hot water and a decent PSI for shower, bathroom and kitchen taps.
What's the best pump? Do I need to enlarge my PV system? What components will I need? Is there an online source for plans?
I've been reading different pieces online, but would love a complete blueprint to work with.
Thanks

Comments

• tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Re: starting from scratch - off grid water system

First things first, is this from a well, or some other water source?
    With either we will need to know how far the water has ro rise "head pressure" and the amount of water you need or want.
    If you can give that information there a several pump combinations that will work and each manufacturer has a program to design the system and basically give you your blueprint.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    EB Boyd wrote: »
    Hi. I'm currently trying to design an off grid water system from scratch. I'm running 2 x 200 w panels, 45 A Tri star 24 V 230 AH (1000 W inverter)
    I'd like to run a DC system, hot water and a decent PSI

Well, forget heating your hot water with PV, it's hugely, hugely inefficient. Far better to go with a solar water heating panel. Far, far better.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is this for a cabin or a home where people live? They are very different!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I chose to locate my tanks on a hill, and run pump daytime, and rely on gravity to pressurize the water. or some areas, you can use a tower to hold your water tank, less pressure, but you don't need a hill. Otherwise, you need batteries to run a pressure pump at night, or wait for daylight to flush.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I chose to locate my tanks on a hill, and run pump daytime, and rely on gravity to pressurize the water. or some areas, you can use a tower to hold your water tank, less pressure, but you don't need a hill. Otherwise, you need batteries to run a pressure pump at night, or wait for daylight to flush.

Wow, people wait for daylight to flush? Is it 2012 or 1912?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Wow, people wait for daylight to flush? Is it 2012 or 1912?

:p

:roll: Some of us have pressure tanks with sufficient capacity that we don't need to worry about having enough power to turn the pump on. :roll:
  • EB Boyd

Lake feed about 50 ft and 20 degree lift
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭

I figure a Shurflo 2088 pump in 12 (7amp),24 (4amp), or 110v (0.9amp) may work for you $100 or less.. It will pull up to 12' lift.. supposedly good for a 100' run..

Maybe a small panel on a small controller with a single 12v battery.. mount the battery in a box.. and the 12v pump on top.. Put the small panel on a fence post or something near the entire setup..

I have a creekbed about 100' away from my cabin and about a 12' lift on a 35' angle.. supposedly I was told this ^^^ would work for me.. to get water to my 275 gal holding tank on the outside of my cabin.. then use another Shurflo for inhouse plumbing on a switch or pressure switch..

You can pump water from the lake to your tank as needed (go out once a day and hit the switch to turn on/off).. You can also get a remote tank switch I'd imagine and when the tank is full enough the remote pump by the lake would shut off..

Again you can also pump the water UP to a holding tank.. but I think the tank needs to be up like 10' to get even a little pressure on the out.. (hence my tank will stay about 1' off the ground in case I need to pour water in by the gallon or what not)..
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Here we wait to flush until daylight or thereabouts. The house uv treatment is on a timer that comes on at 5:15am, off at 11pm. Anything left in the thundermug waits until the uv light is on again...first thing in the morning schedule. When comany stays over we let the uv run 24/7 and cringe at the extra power usage. (of course an intestinal upset, the flu etc would dictate the uv be left on if there's a lot of flushing happening)

Ralph
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Do a search on these threads, and fine my series of posts on pumping from a lake. I have designed a built a system t hat works great 12 months a year, pumping through the ice in the winter all using a shurflo submersible, with no heat tape or other energy equipped. Works great.

Tony
  • EB Boyd
    Is this for a cabin or a home where people live? They are very different!

Cottage on an island