True Power Consumed

Philip C
Philip C Solar Expert Posts: 45
I'm looking to have an old freezer replaced and want to know the true power consumed by modern day equipment. Currently my customer has a 25 c.u. ft standup freezer pulling around 5.5kWhrs per day. I found a Kenmore Elite at 22 c.u. ft that pulls around 650kWhrs per year or about 1.8kWhrs per day and a chest freezer around 1.3 kWhrs/day. Now the reason I've posted in this section, being off grid, this is pretty critical, as I can reduce her battery bank considerably if newer equipment really is that much more efficient. And this is even better news for my solar panels also ;)

Thanks
Philip

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: True Power Consumed

Although the Energy Star ratings are notoriously inaccurate, 1.3 kW hours per day is not an unrealistic number. But even so, the location and usage the freezer gets will have a significant effect on its power consumption. The only truly accurate way to get a reading is with a Kill-A-Watt. Unfortunately they won't let you "try before you buy".

The chest freezer will be more efficient because the "cold doesn't spill out" when you open it. Compared to the old unit your looking at at least a 50% improvement.

Maybe someone has one of the models mentioned and can give some real world numbers?
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

I have not found the Energy Star ratings to be all that far off, but you have to read the fine print for the actual testing conditions. My new 23CF refrigerator actually uses less than what the ratings say most of the time, average year to date is around 560 watt-hours per day, Energy Star rating is 650. I expect usage to go up as the summer heat moves in.
  • Philip C
    Philip C Solar Expert Posts: 45

Sounds good, having that being said, does anyone have a suggestion for a nice Freezer for offgrid usage. The Sunfrost is kind of pricey at 3k, and maybe at one time much more efficient but don't seem to be that way now. I will still consider it if there are justifiable reasons.

Thanks,
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Philip C wrote: »
    Sounds good, having that being said, does anyone have a suggestion for a nice Freezer for offgrid usage. The Sunfrost is kind of pricey at 3k, and maybe at one time much more efficient but don't seem to be that way now. I will still consider it if there are justifiable reasons.

I like the Sundanzer. Also, look into the Steca freezer. Both use the Danfoss compressor (same as in Sunfrost). Works on 12 or 24 volts.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

My buddy bought a CROSLEY 25 CU FT chest freezer that is energystar rated and made in the USA. killowatt meter said it used 1.05 kwh per 24 hours. He keeps in basement. :Dsolarvic:D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd think any good Energy Star rated freezer would be less than 1KWh : day. My 18CF Fridge is about that.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Well he is preety happy with it. I got a new 8.8 cu ft freezer that is energystar rated and uses .85 kwh per 24 hr. Power co gave us energy star rebate checks and they had to be on the list. :Dsolarvic:D