Where can i buy a black coating

gtxkid
gtxkid Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
I need to find a reasonable price in some black coating.
It will be for making some hot air box's.
Box's to put out in the Sun that will have 1/4 inch glass on top.
Just making hot air.
Will spray an metal sheets.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Where can i buy a black coating

I think most people use high temperature wood stove paint, I don't know if it will adhear well to galvanized steel, you may need to spray galavized steel down with muric acid (use proper precautions!) to remove the zinc(?).
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • gtxkid

It is funny you mentioned it.
    I have been hunting around and seams like other's have learned that Gloss black is 5-10 degree's cooler and flat black is the highest.
    Solar coatings are in the middle of them.
    Not looking at black crome or such.
    Maybe i will have the metal building sheets powered coated in flat black, seams cheep to do.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I like high temperature exhaust paint--Always worked well. For painting "fresh" zinc--You don't need to remove it, just wipe it down with a weak acid to etch the surface (make it "rough" and usually darken) and wash the acid of (soap and water) to prevent corrosion.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Rust oleum barbecue paint, or wood stove paint.

Tony
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    Rust oleum barbecue paint, or wood stove paint.

Tony

That's what I used about 10 years ago (flat black BBQ paint) on my hot water panel, and it's still the same as when it was done. This surprised me as I'd been told it would fade to gray in the sun.
  • gtxkid

Looks like it is flat black stove paint.
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Thermalox Solar Black

Do a comparison yourself and see if another option is worth your while.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/PaintAbsorbancy/GlossvsFlat.htm
    Thermalux Paint The coating resists out gassing. That is important if you are breathing the air that comes in contact with it.
    If you are sending the heated air into your home as I plan to, you DO NOT want to use oven paint or any other kind that will emit fumes.
    That stuff stinks. It will eventually become less, but the smell may never go away completely.

From the manufacturer:
    http://thurmalox.com/Products/Products.asp?ProductID=28

It is not cheap, this is the best price I have found for it:
    http://www.solar-components.com/batchheat.htm

I also bought a can of Chalkboard Paint. It is available at Home Depot, Lowes, and other places.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100141287/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Chalkboard&storeId=10051

I thought that I would try the chalkboard paint as the base coat, then spray on the Solar Paint ( Thermalux ) for the final top coat.
    That combination may get me a good coating, and hold the cost down.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Re: Thermalox Solar Black

FYI - woodstove paint really has a distinct solvent smell associated with it. Make sure you spray it outdoors as the solvents they use are very odorous and will spread around the house. Many wood stove people actually fire their stove out in the driveway after painting to drive off some of the smell
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

No worries long-term with the stove paint. I re-sprayed mine last fall indoors and after a day I couldn't smell it, even before I cured it with a fire.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about that spray on rubber coating like they advertise on TV? Home Depot carries the rust-oleum leak seal paint. I used this in one of my storage bays in the RV that was damaged from a blowout. Stuck to the galvanized metal the bay was made from and seem to seal everything up good. Dried to a flat black.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I am assuming he does not want a insulative coating (rubber)--At least for the heat collection plates. I wonder what would happen a coating was used on the wall where you want insulation anyway.

But, because this application should withstand >212F / 100C--Those coatings are probably not too heat resistant.

For outside the box--the coating may be very nice (if UV stable).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I used only the thinnest coat of Hi-Temp flat black that would still cover, for the reason of not wanting to insulate the plate from the sun heated surface of the paint.