Parallel or Series?

Options
darrbiss
darrbiss Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a while now, but this is my first post (so go easy on me!)

I just purchased some upgraded panels and a new charge controller and I am wondering the best way to hook them up.

My setup is this: (It's just a small weekend cottage)
I have 4 120 AH marine batteries wired in parallel to give me a total of 480 AH at 12V
These are hooked up to a 1000 watt Xantrex 12V inverter.

I'm just not too sure the best way to hook up my new solar panels and charge controller.
The specs of the panels are (I bought 2): 190 watts, 17.4 Volts, 10.92 Amps, MC-4 connector
The specs of the charge controller is Attachment not found.

Should I hook them up in series giving me 34.8 V, 10.92 Amps (will my charge controller safely charge my 12v batteries? the specs are showing a maximum Solar Voltage of 48 volts.)
Or should I hook them up in parallel with 17.4 V, 21.84 Amps

I just want to make sure that I don't cause any problems and that the setup is as efficient as possible.

Thanks everyone, hopefully I didn't forget any important information.

Darren

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Parallel or Series?

What id the make of your controller? Did a search on "SOLAR 30" but didn't find what I was looking for.
    Also, if your controller is of the MPPT type, series wiring of the panels may well work fine. If however it's not MPPT, then parallel would be the way to go.
  • darrbiss
    darrbiss Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply!

It's just a cheap charge controller I bought off of eBay. (I haven't even received it yet)
    It is not an MPPT though, it seems like that would have been a better purchase!

So I guess what you are saying is that I should hook them up in parallel?
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    darrbiss wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply!

It's just a cheap charge controller I bought off of eBay. (I haven't even received it yet)
    It is not an MPPT though, it seems like that would have been a better purchase!

So I guess what you are saying is that I should hook them up in parallel?

Yes, parallel would be the way to go as this would give you the potential of more or less 20 amps MAX charging amps going into your batteries.
    If they are wired in series, unless you had an MPPT controller, you'd only have a Max of more of less 10 amps charging current. The equivalent of having only one of your panels, although the available voltage would be doubled but useless.
    The beauty of an MPPT controller is that they will convert excess voltage into extra charging amps. Especially useful on cold winter days when panel voltage normally runs higher. Also useful if there are long cable runs between the panels and batteries, where panels can be wired in series, upping the transmitted voltage, thus reducing losses in the long wires, then letting the MPPT controller do it's magic at the batteries :D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ..... Thanks everyone, hopefully I didn't forget any important information. Darren

The link to the charge controller. Is it PWM or MPPT ? Since it's spec does not list a very high input voltage, and I suspect it was less than $200, I'd bet it is PWM.
    PWM, you want to configure your PV array to be about 18-20V, so panels in parallel is your only choice.

And be sure to wire the parallel batteries properly - on the diagonal:
    http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Is it PWM or MPPT ?
    .....................................................................................
    It is not an MPPT
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

darbiss, I am not familiar with the 'solar 30' controller. I see that you can adjust the float voltage. Can you adjust the absorb voltage or the absorb time? --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i