Connecting an inverter to a transfer switch

Options
2»

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Connecting an inverter to a transfer switch

did some quick reading at http://www.smithae.com/rv.html re converters and fuse panel.

Virtually all RV's use a battery converter to allow the 12 volt accessories to be run by 120 volts AC when plugged in to shore power or when the generator is running. This saves battery power for when you need it. The converter also recharges the coach battery. Many of the newer converters are able to charge the battery at the rated output of the converter. This is a real advantage if you use the generator to charge your battery when you are dry camping. Many of the older converters only trickle charge the battery at 3 or 4 amps. This could take a long time and lots of generator fuel.

I think the answer is there is something happening between the inverter and the converter, lie the inverter is drawing on the batteries and the converter is trying to recharge the battery simultaneously....

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Jonesz
    Jonesz Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options
    Re: Connecting an inverter to a transfer switch

Hi Bill
    Thanx for your reply. I think we are on the same page as I do shut off any breakers powering circuits for converter,Microwave,water heater etc. but back to my original question. Tony said that the Morningstar Suresine 300 "permiitted a grounded neutral". Does that mean that I can buy that unit (not cheap compared to a lot of other 300 W units) and plug my shorepower chord in without it faulting. If so then it is the way I want to go. I am thinking that the grounded neutral is my "roadblock" so far. $ are not the problem, I just want to get it right this time as most retailers will not take an inverter back once it has been tried.
    Thanx
    Jonesz