Digital Antennas & TV stuff ??

2»

Comments

• bluetick
    bluetick Registered Users Posts: 19
    Re: Digital Antennas & TV stuff ??

I have a 60 mile "shot" to the transmitter for my channels.

What I have found.

At this distance my rotor movement is too gross to tune the antenna.

Use a preamp as close to the antenna as practical.

Use rg6 cable all the way, but keep run just long enough to do the job.

Everytime you split the signal the strength drops.

Seal all outdoor connections.

Too much amplification will cause your tv to think there is no signal.

Use caution when making connections.
    There is just enough "voltage" when I make the cable connections to the antenna that it will gig me.
    I have a Ham operator a block away, I don't know if it's him or just static from the wind.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

bluetick,
    yes, you know what i mean about how just a breeze can swing a high gain antenna slightly and cause it to be off from the station. high quality rotors that can hold and keep high accuracy in turning are expensive.

i am not sure what you mean by gig you and in fact i am not sure what the whole sentence would be describing even if i knew what gig meant. if it turns out that the ham radio operator is interfering that if he is operating within legal means that there's nothing you can do about him operating and that you would then need to try to figure out how he is getting into your system and take efforts to stop it. odds are it is an rf overload to the preamp and a filter there at the preamp input may help depending on what frequencies of operation he is using, his power levels, and what channels are being interfered with too. if he interferes with you then do not take a bad attitude to him as he may be able to help too, but do know if he is legit and operating properly that he does not have to do anything for you at all.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

i think that bluetick is getting SHOCKED or tickled when making/breaking cable connections. Could easily be static build-up (altho, this should not be a constant thing), could easily be AC power leakage, if the cable is correctly grounded. This leakage was more common in older equipment, as the AC power line bypass capacitors were such a large value, that they coupled too much AC line current to the chassis of the equipment. Just guessing ...

REgarding Rotators, yes, the inexpensive ones have much too coarse resolution at largish distances, and as noted, the tower, antenna and mounts need to be rock-stable. High gain antennas usually have narrow beam-widths.

Whatever the situaton described by bt, it is probably NOT from the Hammie Radio neighbor, as most Hams spend very little time transmitting in a given day, unless it happens to be a Contest weekend, and that ham is a serious contester.

AND niel is correct. Ham Radio operators are Licensed Users of the radio spectrum. Radio/TV receivers are unlicensed users of the radio spectrum, and as such must operate properly around licensed users. This concept is not embraced by the average radio or TV user.
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • bluetick
    bluetick Registered Users Posts: 19

Gig == weak shock, just enough of a electrical shock that it gets your attention, but not enough to hurt you.

(All appliances unplugged and a small static charge during connection of cable to antenna.)

I see no interferance while watching tv from the ham operator.
  • niel
    bluetick wrote: »
    Gig == weak shock, just enough of a electrical shock that it gets your attention, but not enough to hurt you.

(All appliances unplugged and a small static charge during connection of cable to antenna.)

I see no interferance while watching tv from the ham operator.

ok i understand now. this could be static buildup as was said already. it may be a case of the ground was severed when you pulled the f connector or you could even have a grounding problem with ground loops rearing their ugly little heads. who knows? f connections are not that swift sometimes too and can come loose. if you have a multimeter you can do some investigating, but problems do tend to be elusive.

that's good you get no interference from the ham operator.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

There's two more possible sources of a weak shock. Do you have any commercial broadcast antennas nearby? Do you have any power lines nearby? Either will induce a good voltage on nearby metal structures/antennas. You can light up a florescent tube light standing under a high voltage power line.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Well , since I started all of this , and after buying a new Antenna , Rotate,pre-amp and a Newer LED 2012 TV to replace all my old digital 1999 LCD ..
    After calling CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp, Tax supported by all of paying Canuks) I get a master tech gent that has helped me in some of the way to setup the signal reception.
    My LCD 1999 flat screen had a older version of the 2008 and later type that is now able to receive the digital signals and side or fine tune them, plus you can range in a signal strength and tune in the OTA digital plus analog .Thats why frugal me was trying to get the life out of the 40" LCD from 1999.

So now after $$$ and some high time (rooftop work ;) ), we get 2 digital and 2 analog. CTV in english , and after all that CBC FRENCH !!!!! WTF !!
    Best reception i have ever see , but in French .. I do know we have a .02% of Quebecois in BC..
    Donc, à partir de maintenant, je ne pense séparation aurait pu être juste un truc pour infiltrer les Saxons ..

Time to get our tax $ working for what were paying for. While in Northern Canada Tuk/NWT and around ,, CBC North was the only link for semi-bias views, but it was Canadian Content of what the border smokes were up to. I am not the only upset person's living rural , but i also have the interweb ;) ..

Lots of folks who are rural have older TV's and they had ET satellites from the 70's .. $$100.00 plus a month for TV is more than TV is good for , Most Hydro bills for rural home owners is around 50.00 per month, heat with wood ,ETC.

So after all that :
    après tout cela, nous n'avons jamais finir le brun couches à Fort James correctement.

VT. :-)Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

I forgot I did say I would add a conclusion & pictures . Yes I must shoot thru some 250' tall trees . No Im not putting up a Antenna Mast that whistles in the wind.. Wind turbine would be more along the mast if ever.

VT edit
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

C'est la vie au Canada! :p

My solution is to say goodbye to TV; can't find anything worth watching, including (especially) the news.
  • niel

sorry to hear of your bad choices out there. as solarvic pointed out to me, there are lots of free broadcasts still occurring over satellites. not too sure what windows of opportunities there are for them where you are, but i would think you would still get plenty of them being not too far off from the states.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    sorry to hear of your bad choices out there. as solarvic pointed out to me, there are lots of free broadcasts still occurring over satellites. not too sure what windows of opportunities there are for them where you are, but i would think you would still get plenty of them being not too far off from the states.

There is some issue as to the legality of this, Niel. Believe it or not we've had some heated discussions up here about Canadians picking up US broadcasts that have not been "altered" to meet the broadcast requirements here (we get different commercials for one thing). How they expect to enforce such rulings ...

I think the future for TV is going to be net casts and buying just what you want to see. The over-the-air is limited and the packages offered by cable and satellite are not very attractive (as is our having to buy a package with six French language channels in order to get one channel we want to watch).

Believe me; the US has far more choice in this area.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

DIGITAL TV antennas used to be called UHF antennas.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• CDN_VT

Thats why I purchased the TV in USA , Because the Canadian model sold up here has a different tuner.
    This is the info from the Master Tech of CBC , and how to tweak ..
    And the fine tuning with each having a different setup for each channel.

Now to get to this point , you need to spend some serious time in front of one with the remote to get into the base setups.

Now I do agree with the snowing of the NEWS or Fab of lip service. But once years ago , someone in Newark NJ called and said TURN on the TV and were under attack!!
    Watched the changing of North America within. So it is quicker than smoke signals .. We don't live with that squawk box on ,, just for another view.

VT
  • CDN_VT

Now to bring back from the DEAD.!
    The CRTC let CBC and CTV and maybe a few others increase there strength . SO now I get CBC & was able to watch some of the Olympics. I can see why Global & others owned buy the Cable company's Rogers /Shaw/Bell don't want to increase strength & have cable subscribers drop there 120.00 per month subscription. This fight took two years , but the signal now makes 120 Kms for me but further up the valley ( Emergency Cabin ) 160 Kms from the tower , it is still present if the rain/snow has it stopped. Clear Im sure it will be fine..

Now for my Big Question , Who use's an OTA DVR .. I would of loved too record the hockey game @ 04:00 this AM and then reviewed it later . What I did was watch the replayed version at 11:00 and then the snow made it almost impossible to watch it without cutting out !! (Didn't miss and commercials mind you !!)

So who has concurred this battle ? I did some major reading on these sites ( Site ), but not a true answer . Or the items are NLA.
    Thanks VT
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

The BIG problem with digital TV, is the noise, Just a slight degradation of the signal turns it into unwatchable. Analog TV would show a bit of snow, but still be watchable.

So you need a really beefy antenna . the http://www.antennaweb.org/ site will let you enter your location, and list what gain of antenna you need.
    And digital TV uses the old style UHF antenna, nothing fancy. Adding the word DIGITAL lets them charge 2x the price as the year before.

sample output:
    Willits, CA 95490
    To enter a different address, click here.
    No Stations were predicted for this address

Hawthorne, CA 90250
    Stations and Antenna Types
    The Stations column contains each station’s primary channel and network and its distance and direction in degrees from this location. Click on a station to learn more about it and any sub-channels it airs.
    (listing had about 80 stations & sub channels, with medium range antenna for most of them)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• CDN_VT

As a DVR , your above post makes no sense to me .
    If your meaning Signal Strength , Try here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Here is one I found , but all the previous ones from CM have had poor reviews & overheat issues . : http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm#DVR+

As of Jan 2014 , our island signals were improved ! I have No idea if Westbank or Wayne in NS got any better reception !
    My USA house is a Micro-wave of signals from radio,TV,3 airports , 2 navel bases , Just hold up a 8' florescent tube it should glow.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

For a "DVR"--I just use my laptop with a USB TV dongle...

I have an older Hauppauge WinTV=HVR 950Q which has always worked well for me (and seems to have somewhat better reception than the "real" digital TV receiver--Vizio). Something $68 from Amazon (you should probably get a newer model than mine--if it makes sense).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CDN_VT

Thanks Bill , I too have a Win-Fast PVR card in the TV Computer . With trying to set up the unit and find the channels plus all the stuff, I have made it work , BUT !!! this setting up took me quite a lengthy time , My partner / better half etc (indoor plumbing model) after seeing the process,wants no part !! VCR's is the thinking . When travelling I use a usb dongle on my toughbook for seeing how many channels are out there.

The amount of time to make the USB unit or the TV card work was not worth it for up here. In Towns like Everett or YVR , the signals are all over. Here it is to trim antenna & then set recording for that station .

VT
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I tried the dongle's software and it was pretty iffy as a DVR. Just installed Windows Media player and it worked great--No configuration issues that I found.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset