Hooking up a voltage regulator to a wind turbine system

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
Hey, I'm back. Had a few alternator voltage regulators laying around and thought I'd look into hooking them up to my turbines after the rectifier.

The two that I have are from a Delco 10si alternator. Any idea on how to hook them up ?
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Hooking up a voltage regulator to a wind turbine system

As far as I know, it will not work for most (smaller) wind turbines.

Your turbines are probably PMA (permanent magnet alternators). A car alternator uses a set of field coils on the rotating shaft. The alternator regulator varies the current through the coil to change the alternator's output current (high field current, high output current. Low field current, little output current).

PMA is used because it is something like 10-20% more efficient over field current type alternators.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac

So what you're saying is that my only option is a diversion load for the extra power?
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • BB.

Yep, or short/crowbar the alternator output and stall the blades.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac

One other thing. Off the subject, how much wattage is good for one sla deep cycle battery? Just bought another 1.120 kW of solar panels and would like to know if my system of 15 batteries can handle 3 kW.
  • BB.

What type of sla and ah rated batteries?

-Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

With wind, you are going to need DIVERSION load controllers, that will disconnect the turbine from the batteries, and then place a heavy load on the turbine to slow it down to prevent it from overspeed when unloaded.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    With wind, you are going to need DIVERSION load controllers, that will disconnect the turbine from the batteries, and then place a heavy load on the turbine to slow it down to prevent it from overspeed when unloaded.

I have a diversion controller (Xantrex C60) on my wind turbine, and it never disconnects the turbine from the batteries, nor does it place a heavy load on the turbine to slow it down. My diversion controller dumps excess power through some big-arse resistors right off the battery when the voltage climbs above a certain setpoint. The wind turbine remains connected to the batteries at all times.

What kind of diversion controller are you talking about? I have never heard of such a thing.
  • GreenPowerManiac

Real quickly, and off the subject, how much wattage should a 120ah deep cycle require to charge it efficiently ? RC rating of 160 on a set of 15 deep cycle batts. Can it take a 3kw load ?
  • BB.

Efficiently, 5%... Well ~10%, Fast 13% or more:

120 AH * 14.5 volts charging * 0.10 rate of charge = 174 watts

The maximum continuous load for a flooded cell battery ~13% ( C/8 ) recommended (by me:roll:):

120 AH * 12 volts nominal * 0.13 rate of discharge = 187 watts

Maximum surge current (again for flooded cell) is around C/2.5 or C*0.4:

120 AH * 12 volts * 1/2.5 = 576 watts

Of course, you can do more--but you do run the risk of things not working out as well... As batteries charge/discharge faster, they tend to heat up and not be as efficient (more heat and more losses). And they may not supply needed surge energy/current when operation at less than full charge (battery voltage collapse).

Again, just rules of thumb to get you in the ball park. If you need more current from a smaller battery, look into AGM's... They are designed for short term/high energy loads (like UPS systems).

-Bill