Electrician Needed

I have a question for an electrician
a long time ago I was explained some things, one of the things was why the US used 110 Volts as a standard. And not watts. Dryers, ovens, stoves, hair dryers, toasters, toaster ovens was the answer.
inverters invert volts to watts right, by altering the phase of volts into watts phase, I think it is 90' or 1/4 out of phase with volts.
is this correct?
was there a name for electrification or circuits that did not short to use? like cycle....??thanks:-)
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Electrician Needed

Once again,, you misunderstand. North Ameican has adopted the standard of 120 volts, 60 Hz AC power (240 split phase).

Watts are merely the product of Volts multiplied by Amperes ((current). Loads, and power, are measured in watts.

So for example 120 volts times 10 amps=1200 watts.

There is no techical reason why we couldn't use 240 volts as a primary as they do in Europe. The simple fact is the amount of power consumed would still be the same. 240v*5=1200 watts. Notice, that as you double the volts, you halve the amps for any given load. The trade off is that as you increase the voltage, you reduce the potential line loss per given load, the trade being that higher voltage presents more danger to the user.

Inverters don't "invert volts to watts", they convert DC to AC.

I might suggest getting a basic electrical text book to try to better understand what it is you are asking. Mixing up, volts/amps/watts etc is a common mistake. Learn the basics and you will have a better handle on the problems you are trying to solve.

Tony
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

You've mixed so many different electrical terms in one post I wouldn't know where to start to answer that.......
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Really need to take Electricity 101 and learn the basics. For the most part, Watts, Amps, Volts, Ohms, etc. are all basic scientific units. Nothing special there.

Regarding AC vs DC and why AC is so hard to understand--Even T. Edison did not really understand AC. Read here:

War of Currents - Wikipedia
    Several undercurrents lay beneath this rivalry. Edison was a brute-force experimenter, but lacked formal training in mathematics and physics. Tesla, by contrast, had this education, which was needed to understand AC power.[8] In addition to the business rivalry of companies like Oerlikon, Siemens, Westinghouse (all AC promotors) and the powerful Edison Electric, a personal rivalry developed between Nikola Tesla and Thomas A. Edison due to certain events: Tesla had worked for Edison but felt he was undervalued (for example, when Edison first learned of the idea of alternating-current power transmission, he dismissed it: "[Tesla's] ideas are splendid, but they are utterly impractical."[9] Bad feelings were exacerbated because Tesla had been cheated by Edison of promised compensation for his work. Tesla was promised 50,000 dollars for work to improve Edison's inefficient dynamo.
    The Current War
    PBS: Tesla - Master of Lightning: War of the Currents

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Thomas
    Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291

I was tought in history class in grade school that the combustion engine, and the light bulb, along with some aspect of marketing delivering AC or DC to people was stolen off the R&D benches respectively. Blogging on for Real Genius, SATACT......

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas wrote: »
    a long time ago I was explained some things, one of the things was why the US used 110 Volts as a standard. And not watts. Dryers, ovens, stoves, hair dryers, toasters, toaster ovens was the answer.
    inverters invert volts to watts right, by altering the phase of volts into watts phase, I think it is 90' or 1/4 out of phase with volts.
    is this correct?
    was there a name for electrification or circuits that did not short to use? like cycle....??thanks:-)
    Sorry Thomas, this is NOT a question for an Electrician, it, along with many/most of your many threads and posts are an indication that you have totally no idea what's going on with electricity, and as has been suggested, you seriously need to get at the very least, basic education in electricity. In the meantime, to put it bluntly, you're dangerous to yourself and others, and lives could be at risk.
    This is NOT intended as an insult, but it is a fact. Get yourself educated before someone dies, or get totally out of this field. I strongly suggest the latter, for your own good and the good of others.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Gee Wayne, does your username/slogan say "solar shotgun" or solar shogun? :D. I only looked at this Thomas thread because your username was the latest post. Glad I did. Couldn't agree more with you.

Ralph
  • Thomas

I haven't drawn any shocks yet and things are going smoothly, I just installed a Xantrex C-35 and total accumulated ahrs 1000+ which would be 100+ by the power company measure. I do not pretend to know a lot about electricity, therefore my over-all caution and good safety record.

• Thomas

Wayne, I was following your posting untill you just opened up on me with NO.5 shot/was that a 16 Ga.

• Thomas

I am Ok and you are OK too.

• icarus

I think the title of this thread is spot on! Electrician needed!

No more personal sniping! If anyone wishes to ask a question, fine, but keep it to one on topic question for the sake of clarity please.

Icarus
  • Thomas

I just ask a lot of questions, I do not actually do anything to find out if I am right or wrong, I was not wrong about such in college asking professors, am I wrong asking this forum? You got me wrong the only thing I ever broke with electricity was a BOOM BOX, 12v total batteries does not = 12 car cigarette lighter, this was in VT(thats Vermont)and a few voltmeters, I forget that you can't sross amps <10amps....
    I cant think of anything else...so pull out the 12 gauge, or the 3''' 20 ga.....

• Thomas

My experimenting was done with RCBS (Rock Chucker)and Dupont IMR and .270/.308/.284, casue and effect I got a long time ago a man

• marsofold
    marsofold Solar Expert Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Thomas wrote: »
    is this correct?

Inverters invert volts into watts by de-phasing them by +90 degrees per cycle. Your appliances reverse the process by re-phasing the watts back into volts by -90 degrees per cycle. So everything naturally balances out. The reason the US uses 110 volts instead of 110 watts is so you wouldn't be locked into a fixed wattage at the plug. Designing multiple appliances to satisfy an exact 110 watt standard is much tougher than designing multiple appliances to a 110 volt standard. And if someone were to plug in TWO 110 watt appliances into a single 110 watt system, all of the cycles would de-phase and short out the line. So the US uses a 110 volt standard to avoid unintentional de-phasing of its cycles. Clear?
  • icarus

HuH?

You aren't serious are you?
  • Thomas

Yeah I understand that the measurability and standardization of volts was easier. Thanks.(from sub-hyperspace)

• Thomas

I think something about old wattage vs. new watts might be worth the research dive...

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

How do you dream up all this stuff? You got me to laughing so much I was afraid of having a heart ayttack!!!! I am 67 years young and hope you don,t kill me! Think you would make a good comedian at an electronics convention!!!! :confused:solarvic:roll:
  • Thomas

That Is Good, does anybody remember laughter? I try to only make MISTAKES on paper, or the computer anymore...

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marsofold wrote: »
    Inverters invert volts into watts by de-phasing them by +90 degrees per cycle. Your appliances reverse the process by re-phasing the watts back into volts by -90 degrees per cycle. So everything naturally balances out. The reason the US uses 110 volts instead of 110 watts is so you wouldn't be locked into a fixed wattage at the plug. Designing multiple appliances to satisfy an exact 110 watt standard is much tougher than designing multiple appliances to a 110 volt standard. And if someone were to plug in TWO 110 watt appliances into a single 110 watt system, all of the cycles would de-phase and short out the line. So the US uses a 110 volt standard to avoid unintentional de-phasing of its cycles. Clear?
    Uh Oh. And here I was thinking I was smart running split phase 240VAC from 48V batteries. Now I need to get a DC-De-Phaser to get things back to lefty-rightey . What's that going to cost me? Maybe less cost on the internets ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Thomas

I do not really know what you did, but if the batteries are confused, I was always told they were now -JUNK, GARBAGE. WASTED.

• waynefromnscanada
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Uh Oh. Now I need to get a DC-De-Phaser to get things back to lefty-rightey . What's that going to cost me? Maybe less cost on the internets ?
    I got one my professor fiend who say I real genitais. It cost $666 but I loves it float watts the batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • marsofold
    marsofold Solar Expert Posts: 45 ✭✭

The original poster needs to at least learn the basics of electrical units. In all fairness, lots of people mix up watts and watt-hours. But asking the type of questions that he did is kinda like a child asking algebra questions when he hasn't yet learned to count. There is value in being humble enough to admit one's own limitations and starting from there. Anyone who refuses to do that should expect to receive some condescension. Here is a link that might help him:

http://www.electronicstheory.com/html/e101-1.htm
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marsofold wrote: »
    ...Anyone who refuses to do that should expect to receive some condescension. Here is a link that might help him: http://www.electronicstheory.com/html/e101-1.htm

I get condensation all the time on my Margarita glass, and the only thing that helps, is to just drink it, and the condensation then goes away 8)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Thomas

wow I am getting 1082Amps !!!great
    my Internet security program blocked the link, the first time that has ever happened to me!
    the security program works afterall

• Thomas

Wayne- I have actually recieved about 6 reciepts for 6.66 in the last 6 yaers, no kidding, COMPLEX/PARANIOA all from food purchases

• waynefromnscanada

So Thomas, I have a very serious question to ask you - - have you been pulling our leg all this time? It's something I've been wondering for quite a while. lol
  • Thomas

Wayne- I really dont know what I could pull y'all leg about. 1. I don't think I could define y'all to properly subjectify you. 2. I would not know what content/context/subject matter to do so with. earnestly.huh?
    bytheby-looking at some of the typos I have corrected, are they free assosiatively like freaudian slips? I can just imagine the typos that I missed, It was commented on in private. thanks

• icarus

That's it folks,,, fun and games are over! We won't tolerate this ongoing disruptive behavior! (there have been a number of posts/threads quickly deleted so the magnitude of the problem is not readily apparent!). Thomas has been warned that he needs to change his MO, and if not he risks banishment. That said, let's not encourage any more of this kind of response, fun as it may seem, it begins to truth his great forum into a joke!

Ton
This discussion has been closed.