Recomendation for 12V to 120AC inverter

Options
Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
I am closing in on finishing the solar portion of our teardrop trailer, I installed the 150 AH Lifeline battery yesterday. What remains is an inverter to power the 19" flat screen TV and satellite receiver only, everything else is 12V. The sat receiver and TV together draw 45 W measured. Since I just spent $400 on the battery I would prefer to not spend too much but neither do I want to buy an inverter that is poor quality. Recommendations?

Comments

• firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Recomendation for 12V to 120AC inverter

The Morningstar 300 Watt Sine Wave Inverter. I have one and I LOVE it! Several of the members here have one. It is quiet, has no fan (so no power waste by air movement), and will surge to 600 watts. Check its specs. It is also pure sine wave, so you can use it on AC motors without problems. Just make sure you don't overdo it. A TV and satellite box will be fine with this. I run mine on it, and a fan, too.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ditto the Shursine 300. All th invert you will ever need, plus, it is very efficient,, and silent.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

When looking at the MorningStar inverter, also look at some of its features. A "search mode" (low power standby, checks for >6 watt AC loads once a second) and a remote off switch (just connect a 12 volt signal wire to a simple on/off switch--no heavy switches that can carry a 100 amps required).

Our host has a couple other brands of lower power inverters:

Samlex Sine Wave Inverters (lower cost inverters)
    Exeltech Sine Wave Inverters (higher reliability)

Look at your expected continuous load and the efficiency of your inverter at that load. Larger TSW inverters can draw 10-30 watts or more, just to power the internal inverter electronics. So, larger inverters do not make sense powering smaller loads.

Also, the whole MSW / TSW (modified square wave vs true sine wave) inverter question. If you can justify it--a TSW inverter (typically more expensive and less efficient than MSW) is really worth it. Many smaller devices (electronics, battery chargers, cell chargers, dvd/laptop computer adapters, etc.) can overheat when powered by a MSW inverter.

Who knows, maybe 80% of your devices will work find and 10% will fail early on an MSW inverter. If you are in the middle of nowhere and you don't want to play around with reliability issues, get a TSW inverter--at least a smaller one to power your more critical loads.

A couple of FAQs:

All About Inverters
    Choosing an inverter for water pumping

Of course there are lots of other brands and models out there--the above inverters are a suggested starting point for your research (offered by our host, NAWS).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Morningstar SureSine 300w - been running for 2+ years 24/7
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

I remember a discussion on the flexibilty of the MS units, but cant recall whether they could be stacked or not
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    I remember a discussion on the flexibility of the MS units, but cant recall whether they could be stacked or not

no they can't. if you have need for more than the ability of the inverter you must get a higher powered inverter.
  • Shadowcatcher
    Options

Ah decisions decisions,
    I am constantly commenting on the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailer forum that you need to anticipate what you may want/need in the future not what you think you need now so I may well go with the Morningstar, thanks much folks
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

If you are thinking of the Sureshine, make sure you check out its dimensions, it is larger than it looks in the pictures (large device means less need for fans and forced air cooling).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And it heavy. Big iron transformer in there ! Mount it well, or it could pull bolts through a wall when you hit a bump.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Les Nagy
    Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Options

I have had an Exceltech 1100 TSW for 2 years now. It takes surges very nicely, and handles my lathe motor very nicely. Although I have no experience with ther TSW smallish inverters I can say that I am happy with my particular one.
  • Shadowcatcher
    Options

After weighing all of the information and looking into the alternatives I have decided on the Morningstar inverter and since our host seems to have a decent price I will order it through them.