Through the deck/roof plug

Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
My frustration just went through the roof, along with the rather expensive failed plug.
I have a Perko 12V water proof plug that I feed power from the solar panel through. It is in the roof of the teardrop and sits under the panel when it is mounted on the roof. It is through the Filon FRP roof and down to where I can direct it forward to the Morningstar controller, about 15' of 10 ga wire (high voltage panel). My first frustration is that the plug will only take 12ga so the wire lost a couple of strands when I installed the plug and up until today when I went out to check on progress of bringing up the new battery to full charge with a smaller solar panel it has been working fine. No power, panel is putting out 20V nothing at the controller, cleaned the plug no luck checked fuse, no luck.
Does any one have a recommendation for a water proof/tight plug.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Through the deck/roof plug

I don't think that's a water proof (or even rain tight) plug/socket. I think it's just got a rubber cap for whrn it's not in use.

You may have to run wire down the side / front/ rear to come UP through your floor baords and make sure road spray does not flood the inside.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Yes actually it is water tight as it is a marine deck fitting, all brass with rubber gaskets. The female end has no through connection for the electrical connection, they terminate in a a blind connection that has a screw to fasten the wire.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Differential diagnosis time:

1. Is there power at the 2 Male pins? Y = no problem in that section
    2. Have you checked continuity of each of the lines from the Female plug to the CC? Y = no problem in either cable.
    3. If both Y then it is the connection between both parts

I am thinking it is in the female part, a disconnected wire or short

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada